MBBS internship abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adnan123456789

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am currently an MBBS 5th year student and will commence my final year internship soon. Ie 6th year. My quesstion is i would like to do this in a european country Like germany uk etc. Or in a place like US or singapore . Is it possible to do this ?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

As much as I know,. It's very hard. I once made an inquiry about it. I was told it's hard but not impossible because Mbbs students in States or Uk has a greater chance of securing the internship post than international students. I think it's advisable to apply for internship program in your country and sit for USMLE exam or PLAB, so you could be qualified to practice medicine in either USA or UK.

As much as I know,. It's very hard. I once made an inquiry about it. I was told it's hard but not impossible because Mbbs students in States or Uk has a greater chance of securing the internship post than international students. I think it's advisable to apply for internship program in your country and sit for USMLE exam or PLAB, so you could be qualified to practice medicine in either USA or UK.

If i am correct, you only complete your degree after completion of the 6th year - right? In which case you would be the equivalent of a 4th year md/do student in theUS. Doing a full final year in the US would not be possible unless your medical school already has a partnership with a hospital in the US. You might be able to do an elective rotation, but i cant imagine they are easy to get without connections. However, if you are able to get an elective- it can help you in your future residency applications, so take it.

In the US, internship is the first year of residency and is done after graduation from med school - just so that its clear that the terms are used differently.

Also, passing the usmle (4 exams in total) does not make one qualified to practice in the US. At minimum 1-2 years of post-medical school training (residency) in the US is required for an independant license.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If i am correct, you only complete your degree after completion of the 6th year - right? In which case you would be the equivalent of a 4th year md/do student in theUS. Doing a full final year in the US would not be possible unless your medical school already has a partnership with a hospital in the US. You might be able to do an elective rotation, but i cant imagine they are easy to get without connections. However, if you are able to get an elective- it can help you in your future residency applications, so take it.

In the US, internship is the first year of residency and is done after graduation from med school - just so that its clear that the terms are used differently.

Also, passing the usmle (4 exams in total) does not make one qualified to practice in the US. At minimum 1-2 years of post-medical school training (residency) in the US is required for an independant license.
Does that mean that after fighting tooth and nail to get a mbbs certificate in Nigeria, one only equal to a 4th year medical student in US?. I only know little about internship and residency in US. But if it's how you explained it to be then Success to those aspiring to practice medicine In USA or UK.

Does that mean that after fighting tooth and nail to get a mbbs certificate in Nigeria, one only equal to a 4th year medical student in US?. I only know little about internship and residency in US. But if it's how you explained it to be then Success to those aspiring to practice medicine In USA or UK.

Please dont feel offended, but yes, if you are in your final year of medical training for mbbs, then yes you are the equivalent of a fourth year (final year) medical student in the US.

Medical school in the US is only 4 years, however almost all will have completed a 4 year bachelor Degree before medical school. So if you include the bachelors degree, its 8 years after completion of 12th grade if you have the marks/extracurriculars to get in right away. Many will also have done 2 years of masters etc before getting accepted, so trust me they were fighting tooth and nail too!

Regardless of which country you are in, getting in and completing medical school is no easy task, so congrats on finishing up your degree. The road to independant practice in the US will take a bit more time though... good luck!

Please dont feel offended, but yes, if you are in your final year of medical training for mbbs, then yes you are the equivalent of a fourth year (final year) medical student in the US.

Medical school in the US is only 4 years, however almost all will have completed a 4 year bachelor Degree before medical school. So if you include the bachelors degree, its 8 years after completion of 12th grade if you have the marks/extracurriculars to get in right away. Many will also have done 2 years of masters etc before getting accepted, so trust me they were fighting tooth and nail too!

Regardless of which country you are in, getting in and completing medical school is no easy task, so congrats on finishing up your degree. The road to independant practice in the US will take a bit more time though... good luck!
Thanks for that. So what are the chances of me securing a position as a Medical Doctor in the US. Can one go into residency program in his/her country and take the same steps as a US medical student will take without regretting. I need details please. I don't want to make decisions and look back at the moment where I messed things up. Thanks

Thanks for that. So what are the chances of me securing a position as a Medical Doctor in the US. Can one go into residency program in his/her country and take the same steps as a US medical student will take without regretting. I need details please. I don't want to make decisions and look back at the moment where I messed things up. Thanks

Unfortunatley no. If you want to work in the US you have to do residency in the US. At minimum as an International/foreign grad that means an additional 1-2 years to qualify to work as a general practioner along with completing theUSMLE. Of course, most dont want to just work as a GP, most want a speciality so that would be 3+ years of residency plus x number of years of optional fellowship.

There are some countries with exception (example between US and Canada), but thats only for the education piece.

Getting a visa to come study/work is a different issue.

----
If you want to do medicine in the US, start with step 1 US. If you pass with a great score you have a chance to secure a residency. If your score is low, then your chances of getting into residency are pretty slim so might not want to waste time to keep trying.