Internship in Australia when having studied in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaHjorth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a medical student studying in my final year in Denmark (in Europe). Afterwards, I am to do my intern year, which I am keen on doing abroad. As I have been to Australia and enjoyed it loads, I am very interested to hear if it is possible to do the internship year in Australia as a foreign doctor? I have tried to find out by googling it, but it only comes up with options for doctors who already have full registration, thus have finished internship.
Does anyone know if it is possible to do a internship year in Australia, having studiet in a other country? Do you know where to seek the information? Where and when to apply?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Anna

Members don't see this ad.

try googling Australian internships IMGs?
I get a lot of results - try google.com.au.
the official site is: Medical Board of Australia - International medical graduates (IMGs). essentially you have to take the AMC exams (an MCQ and live clinical one). once you get provisional rego only then can you start contacting hospitals to try to apply for internship if they even have space. all hospitals preferentially hire Australian citizens and international students with Australian degrees.

there is no preferential treatment for European grads, all IMGs are treated relatively "equally".

have a browse through otther threads, CP's in particular.

it is not an easy or transparent process to obtain internship as an IMG in Australia. there's so many hoops to go thru for just an intern yr that's not even a guarantee. its not even easy to get when you actually have an.Australian medical degree either.

I would suggest staying in Denmark and some residency there. fellowships are much easier to obtain and travel for those is encouraged

Okay thanks a lot for your respons! I might have to be patient and wait to travel until fellowships then.