MCAT 2015 scoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mav-babe 2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the verbal section of the new MCAT 2015 sample test but unfortunately it does not give you a give a score just the number of questions you got right and the percentage. Does anyone have a guess of how many questions or percentage you need in order to get a score of 125+?

Members don't see this ad.

Took the first 2015 MCAT last Friday April 17, 2015. Can't wait for result. AAMC said result in 30-60 days!!! Bummer!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Took the first 2015 MCAT last Friday April 17, 2015. Can't wait for result. AAMC said result in 30-60 days!!! Bummer!!

What did you think of the social sciences section? Did it require a lot of memorization or was it mostly passage-based?

How was it?
There were 4 sections. 3 sections have 59 questions each. Critical reasoning has 53 questions, like the released version from AAMC practice test. No one really knows how the scoring will be like. Each section scores from 118-132. I'd shoot for 127 to be in the mid of the bell curve.

What did you think of the social sciences section? Did it require a lot of memorization or was it mostly passage-based?
Nope, you will need to have outside knowledge. If you have not reviewed the review books from AAMC or other commercials you may need to.

Reactions: 1 user
There were 4 sections. 3 sections have 59 questions each. Critical reasoning has 53 questions, like the released version from AAMC practice test. No one really knows how the scoring will be like. Each section scores from 118-132. I'd shoot for 127 to be in the mid of the bell curve.
I know what the test incorporates and how it scores. Wanted to know what you thought of it.

I know what the test incorporates and how it scores. Wanted to know what you thought of it.
My first time taking MCAT so I can't compare to the previous ones. It's challenging but a fair game for physics and biochem. Long exam will test one own disciplines to the limit. Psych possibly is the easiest of the 4.

Since the new tests don't give you a score on a sample test I have simply been using the old MCAT percentages. A 10 in the old section was 83.3% so I am using that. Physical sciences (minus the huge amount of biochem and biophysics) was 79.2% and bio was 75.8%. I imagine shooting for 80%+ on each sections is a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
My first time taking MCAT so I can't compare to the previous ones. It's challenging but a fair game for physics and biochem. Long exam will test one own disciplines to the limit. Psych possibly is the easiest of the 4.
Just wait - tests get longer lol

BTW my numbers are not really an accurate way to judge, since they are based on comparison to performance of other people versus just number of correct, if any uptight mathematician wanted to fight. I am sticking with 80% on the sections though since we have nothing to go on.

For what it's worth (i.e., almost nothing), all of the scored practice tests that I took from different test prep companies were remarkably consistent about what percent of correct questions corresponded to which score. Seemed like the general consensus was that 125 is around 66% of questions correct. We'll see how accurate that was once the real scores are released...