MCAT: 30 GPA: 3.71

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NervousWreck6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I got my application verified two days ago and I really messed up during my Freshman year. I took three courses at a community college and, I admit, I got lazy and aimed for all C's in them, knowing that the GPA won't affect my college GPA. Recently I realized that AMCAS takes account of all college credits in the overall GPA. It really brought my GPA down and now I need to rethink my whole Med School List. Anyways, can you guys look at my MCAT and GPAs and see whether or not I will still have a chance at an MD school. If so, where?

I'm a resident in Pennsylvania

MCAT: 30 (P12/V8/B10)
Overall GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 3.78
Non Science GPA: 3.59

ECs: (the + means that I will continue this for my senior year)
3 years+ of cancer research (great LoR from my research advisor)
1 year+ of being a Resident Assistant (LoR from the coordinator)
1 year+ of being a Teacher's Assistant (LoR from the professor)
3 yr+ Church Group Leader
200 hrs of Hospital Volunteering with patient contact
2 days of shadowing at Johns Hopkins Hospital
Part time job as Exam Proctor for Chemistry Department and Note Taker in Organic Chemistry
3yr+ Badminton club and campus orchestra
Awards: Research Grant from NASA, a scholarship from Intel (for employee's children), Dean's List for every semester since Freshman

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Invest in the MSAR. Easily findable via Google. That should give you a good idea of where to apply! Good luck OP! I'm sure the CC classes may be weighted less, especially since you picked it up at your 4-year institution, as well as upward trend since freshman year. Still a solid GPA though!

Members don't see this ad :)
If schools ask about CC during my interview. Is there anything I can say to make it sound..."pretty"?

I took classes in CCs to get rid of Gen Eds during the summer. CCs are cheaper. The classes were Philosophy, Anthropology, and English.

Nothing wrong with that. I did the same thing. No one seemed interested at all. I really don't think anyone cares, and if anyone does happen to ask just tell the truth. "I had a few gen ed requirements I wanted to get out of the way, and it was much cheaper to do it at xCC instead of SDNU."

Reactions: 1 user
Get some more feedback, but from just about everyone I've spoken to, an 8 on the VR could be a really big issue. National median for accepted students last year was an 11.