WAMC/School List 3.71 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie1234

Reaction score
State of Residence: Virginia
cGPA: 3.71
sGPA: 3.64
MCAT: 504 (127 C/P; 126 CARS; 127 B/B; 124 P/S)

Major: Biology
ORM/URM: ORM (White Male)

Shadowing: 50 hr in Hematology/Oncology; 50 hr in Nephrology; 40 hr in Pulmonology (140 total)
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 104 hr in Assisted Living Facility
Employment: 1000+ hr lifeguarding; 250 hr swim instructor
Research: 442 hr in agricultural science with microbiology focus; 300 hr in clinical research (partially remote). No pubs for either
Clinical Volunteering: 120 hr volunteering in ER
Awards: 3.5k scholarship for college
Other info: No gap years and plan to graduate early in December 2023.

School List (MD)
Eastern Virginia Med School/EVMS
VCU Med School
Virginia Tech Carilion
Wake Forest
Drexel
Albany
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
University of South Carolina School of Medicine Greenville/USC
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Toledo
University of Louisville SOM
University of Wisconsin
Wright State University
University of Alabama Birmingham
George Washington University
TCU
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Marshall University

School List (DO)
VCOM
LMU-DCOM; Lincoln Memorial University
PCOM
New York Institute of Technology
Michigan State University/MSU
Rowan Virtua
Marian University
Duquesne University College of Osteopathic Medicine (New school)
DMU/Des Moines University
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM)
Nova SE
Campbell
Alabama COM/ACOM
Kentucky College of Medicine; KCOM
Rocky Vista COM
Noorda COM
Baptist Health Sciences COM (New school)

Need help removing bad choices and/or adding schools I may have overlooked considering low MCAT score. I am more than happy with DO and would like to apply broadly, since I would be happy to go almost anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 504 and no connection to the state.
Rush is looking for applicants with far higher clinical and non clinical hours than you have.
You have a good DO list and should receive several interviews. Add WVSOM.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have several state public schools on your list that admit very few (if any) non residents with a MCAT of 504 and no connection to the state.
Rush is looking for applicants with far higher clinical and non clinical hours than you have.
You have a good DO list and should receive several interviews. Add WVSOM.
For MD schools I suggest these:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
West Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
George Washington
Thank you Faha. I have a couple of questions for some of the schools you recommended if you don't mind. NOVA MD and Hackensack have a 511 MCAT as their 10th percentile for OOS applicants, so would I even have a fair shot at those schools as an ORM applicant? Also, Quinnipiac has a 514 median with a 507 as 10th percentile, so do I really have a chance at that one?

What were your duties?
Without getting too much into detail, I mostly provided companionship and assisted them with activities throughout the day while providing basic care, so I've been told its borderline clinical/non-clinical by advisors and a few adcoms I've spoken with in person. I just went with non-clinical to be safe, but that doesn't matter too much now since I submitted my app a while ago to get it in the verification queue (which it still is in).

Thank you Faha. I have a couple of questions for some of the schools you recommended if you don't mind. NOVA MD and Hackensack have a 511 MCAT as their 10th percentile for OOS applicants, so would I even have a fair shot at those schools as an ORM applicant? Also, Quinnipiac has a 514 median with a 507 as 10th percentile, so do I really have a chance at that one?
Your chances are low for MD schools so I included some that are remotely possible.

Reactions: 1 user