DO MCAT 33, GPA 3.82, applied to DO schools only without any DO experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applydon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took MCAT three times, and my scores are as follows:
08/2012: 5VR+12PS+9BS=26,
07/2013: 6VR+12PS+11BS=29,
11/2014: 7VR+14PS+12BS=33.
I studied at an oversea college for 3 years, and according to AACOMAS, my GPA is 2.80. I then transferred to a college in New York State, my GPA is 3.82. I got a scholarship in my senior year. I am a permanent resident immigrated from East Asia. My ECs are as follows:
1) 416 hours research experience in a cancer institute
2) 148 volunteer experience in a VA hospital
3) 1 year lab assistant work experience in a microbiologist's lab (work-study program)
4) 30 hours shadowing experience with MDs
5) 160 hours antibiotics production internship
6) 200 hours organic plant internship
7) I was working in a small restaurant as a waiter and manager from 08/2013 to 08/2014.

I didn't finish the whole application process until 11/10/2014, because I have to prepare to re-take MCAT on 11/7/2014. English is not my first language. Because I didn't have any DO LORs, I only applied to NYIT-COM, PCOM, and UNECOM this year. I noticed that those DO schools hope applicants can score 8 or better on VR. Last year (2013-2014 application cycle), I didn't finish the whole application process until 1/15/2014, however, I got a II from NYIT-COM and then I was waitlisted and rejected. I didn't think the 2.8 oversea GPA would be a problem, because last year, my NYIT-COM interviewer didn't ask me any questions on my oversea GPA. I have re-taken all of the pre-requisite courses in US, like generally chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, and math. I got all As on those courses.

Because I didn't get accepted last year, I was about to abandon my dream to be a physician, but my new MCAT score brought me some hope. What are my chances to get accepted into DO schools this year? I want to appreciate for those who kindly give me some advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are not accepted this year I believe you should reapply since you are competitive for DO schools. You should arrange for some DO shadowing and reapply in June and submit your secondaries by July. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and you should receive several interviews. You could also be competitive for MD admission. If you are a NY resident consider applying to the 4 SUNY schools as well as New York Medical College, Hofstra, Albany, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, Commonwealth (PA), Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola, St. Louis, Creighton.

There are a bunch of mistakes in your app, which has pretty good numbers.

1) You applied late
2) You had no DO experience
3) You only applied to three schools

Fix all of these mistakes (and maybe add some MDs in there, you have higher-than-average numbers for MD) and you should be good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
[Just because someone doesn't ask you about it, it doesn't mean that it's not a problem.

, I got a II from NYIT-COM and then I was waitlisted and rejected. I didn't think the 2.8 oversea GPA would be a problem, because last year, my NYIT-COM interviewer didn't ask me any questions on my oversea GPA.

I think that if you apply broadly, you'll be fine.
Because I didn't get accepted last year, I was about to abandon my dream to be a physician, but my new MCAT score brought me some hope. What are my chances to get accepted into DO schools this year? I want to appreciate for those who kindly give me some advice in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
Your main problem was you only applying to three schools.... Apply to more this time around.

Off the top of my head, below are some others that you might want to consider:

Western
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
DMU
NSU
VCOM (Edward Via-Virginia Campus)
ACOM
Marian

Definitely shadow a DO to show that your are interested in osteopathic medicine and not just applying as a backup, esp with your high gpa and most recent mcat of 33. Then update the DO schools with a LOR from the DO.

Third MCAT "Kiss of death" is what my old adviser would say but I understand english is not your first language so maybe they'll show some leniency

There is no way your overall GPA is a 3.82 if your original GPA was a 2.8. Did you not enter your prior coursework from overseas? If that's the case, you could have your degree rescinded if anyone were ever to find out.

Yeah mad jacks right man, my old undergrad would start gpa's from scratch for transfer students which leads to a big surprise when you fill out the AMCAS application

There is no way your overall GPA is a 3.82 if your original GPA was a 2.8. Did you not enter your prior coursework from overseas? If that's the case, you could have your degree rescinded if anyone were ever to find out.
Overall means my US GPA only... I will not cheat on my transcript...