mcat 4th time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calcow

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the mcat for the fourth time soon, I am soo stressed. My three previous scores were 29,28,29. Somehow, the scores never got above 30. I applied last cycle and was waitlisted in all of the schools I interviewed at.

Do you think I should retake the mcat? I don't know how schools would look upon taking the test more than 3 times.

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the mcat for the fourth time soon, I am soo stressed. My three previous scores were 29,28,29. Somehow, the scores never got above 30. I applied last cycle and was waitlisted in all of the schools I interviewed at.

Do you think I should retake the mcat? I don't know how schools would look upon taking the test more than 3 times.

Do any of the schools you interviewed at have some sort of exit interview where you can meet with someone and go over the deficiencies in your application? If so, and you are able to travel to meet them, I would try to find out first if that is a big factor. It could also be due to the particular schools you applied to--maybe you could apply to schools where your MCAT scores are closer to the average?

BTW, my scores are comparable to yours, and I'm also a tri-taker. If I don't get in this cycle, I'm most likely going to take it again, since there's no way I can raise my GPA now.

What are the rest of your stats?
Schools won't like seeing that many attempts, but may get past that if you have a significant improvement.

I think there used to be something about needing to request permission to take it more than 3 times. Not sure if this is still the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they changed the rules when they went to CBT. Now you don't need prior approval for multiple retakes, but you can't be register for more than one test at a time. You do need permission to retake if you've either been accepted or have matriculated, I forget which. But who would want to relive that hell after an acceptance, I don't know.

I don't want to state the obvious, but I think it will hurt you if you take it a 4th time and haven't done anything that will prepare you to score higher. The more times you take it and continue to score in the same range, the more it confirms that the 28/29 score is an accurate reflection of your knowledge & ability. You want to show the schools that in spite of the fact that you got 28/29 three times, that wasn't an accurate reflection of you.

If you didn't take a course between the previous retakes, but only studied on your own, maybe try taking a course. Or, at least try changing your study method. If you do take a course, my opinion is that Princeton Review is better than Kaplan, b/c the review books of Kaplan have blank pages for "notes" and if you have a bad instructor or miss a class...well than you just have blank pages to reference for some info.

Seriously identify your weakness with regard to the previous tests. Was it the knowledge or was it the time? Which topics were the problems? Etc. Then tackle the issue. Humans have a habit of studying the topics that are most comfy for them...you need to do exactly the opposite.

If you don't think you can identify your weakness or are not confident you can pull up your score, DON'T give them a 4th weak score to confirm your weakness.

INSTEAD, take that very same time and put your efforts into activities and work that you can succeed at and that will show your STRENGTHS. You can take those same exact hours and put them into assisting a physician with research, and get an excellent letter of rec that says "I think X shows scientific knowledge far surpassing the percentile of his/her MCAT scores, and has excellent patient interaction skills. . ." which speaks far more than a 4th mediocre score.

I don't want to state the obvious, but I think it will hurt you if you take it a 4th time and haven't done anything that will prepare you to score higher. The more times you take it and continue to score in the same range, the more it confirms that the 28/29 score is an accurate reflection of your knowledge & ability. You want to show the schools that in spite of the fact that you got 28/29 three times, that wasn't an accurate reflection of you.

If you didn't take a course between the previous retakes, but only studied on your own, maybe try taking a course. Or, at least try changing your study method. If you do take a course, my opinion is that Princeton Review is better than Kaplan, b/c the review books of Kaplan have blank pages for "notes" and if you have a bad instructor or miss a class...well than you just have blank pages to reference for some info.

Seriously identify your weakness with regard to the previous tests. Was it the knowledge or was it the time? Which topics were the problems? Etc. Then tackle the issue. Humans have a habit of studying the topics that are most comfy for them...you need to do exactly the opposite.

If you don't think you can identify your weakness or are not confident you can pull up your score, DON'T give them a 4th weak score to confirm your weakness.

INSTEAD, take that very same time and put your efforts into activities and work that you can succeed at and that will show your STRENGTHS. You can take those same exact hours and put them into assisting a physician with research, and get an excellent letter of rec that says "I think X shows scientific knowledge far surpassing the percentile of his/her MCAT scores, and has excellent patient interaction skills. . ." which speaks far more than a 4th mediocre score.

yah, don't want to be a jerk even 3 times taking the exam establishes a pretty good measure of ones ability to take the test. btw, that is not such a bad score if you can balance it out with a great GPA and ECs. PLENTY of people have gotten in with a 28/29

I wouldn't take it again. your scores are decent. apply very, very broadly. you should be able to get an interview somewhere.....don't forget beggars can't be choosers so start casting a wider net and see who takes you. good luck!

I commend your dedication to medicine-- it takes a lot to sit a painful exam that many times!

Still, I'm not sure sitting the exam again will be the most useful approach you can take. I've met people at top 10 schools with 28s. (Okay, 2 people... but people!) I think that instead, focusing on essays, getting good letters, community service and leadership would go a long way-- as well as applying broadly.

If you take it again, take a course or something. Just doin' what you're doing is getting you similar scores (assuming you are using the same approach each time).

I was a three timer myself. I scored a 29 and a 31 studying on my own at the end of ug. Then I took 6 years to get a PhD, took Kaplan, and jumped to a 37. I hate to say it, but Kap helped a ton.

Apply to SMP programs. 22 MCAT is a minimum for most SMP programs. If you have good GPA, LORs and EC then go for it. Do well in SMP and you are in. All the best. :)

Setting up appts with all the schools where you applied is more important than taking that crazy test again. I believe that most schools will even let you do this over the phone if you live far away.

Also, have you considered DO schools? You'll still be a doctor and can do an MD residency if you so choose.

Thanks so much for the advice.

My scores are this ~3.7 from a top university. Lots of biotech experience, not so much academia experience. Will be going to international volunteering this summer. My breakdown for the mcat was a 11, 9, 9.

Yeah, I don't think I am going to take the mcat again, considering it was a really horrifying experience. If I can't get in this year, Caribbean here I come! =)

Thanks so much for the advice.

My scores are this ~3.7 from a top university. Lots of biotech experience, not so much academia experience. Will be going to international volunteering this summer. My breakdown for the mcat was a 11, 9, 9.

Yeah, I don't think I am going to take the mcat again, considering it was a really horrifying experience. If I can't get in this year, Caribbean here I come! =)

Yeh! Go for DO, as Bellakk said in the previous post. Time's more important. Apply to all DO programs and if you still want that MD title next to your name then apply for MD schools' SMP programs.

All the best.

If you take it again, take a course or something. Just doin' what you're doing is getting you similar scores (assuming you are using the same approach each time).

I was a three timer myself. I scored a 29 and a 31 studying on my own at the end of ug. Then I took 6 years to get a PhD, took Kaplan, and jumped to a 37. I hate to say it, but Kap helped a ton.

Uh... or maybe your PhD helped a bit too??? :p

Sounds like you really need to identify some concrete ways on how you can improve your MCAT score. Otherwise, you're wasting your money and time by retaking the exam and getting the same score.

I'm going to be retaking the MCAT this cycle. I got the same score twice, and I am trying very hard not to let it happen again.

What I'm doing:

Going through ALL the subject material again. Doesn't matter what book, as long as it's a textbook-worth of information.

Marking areas I know I need improvement on. I'm hot stuff in Genetics and some other sections, so all I do on those is note the concepts that I should have. I can do Test-crosses blind (ha ha), for example, so all I need to know is that, yes, I have skimmed Test Crossing, know it's there, and am prepared for it. Areas I am terrible at, such as Orgo, I devote extra time to. Formulas, reactions, other stuff I do not remember, I add an arrow sticky to. Important concepts, such as magnetism, that I do not remember, I add a giant chapter sticky to.

Also add giant stickies to pages that summarize stuff. I giant-stickied the hormones chart in my book for review.

Once I have all of these, I review each section until I am sure that I have mastered, before beginning a practice test regimen. Practicing before then removes a practice test that you could have saved for later when you need to see where you need to review, rather than to point out areas you already knew you need to review.

That's for all the science sections.

My writing Sample was an S, so I disregarded that, though if you want practice, just google a Quotations Index or an Idioms Index, and have at it. Pick one at random a day, if you have to, write away, follow all the timing, etc., until you're sure you can handle it.

Writing Section - You can't... study for this persay, but you CAN practice it.

Verbal Book. Kaplan, PR, EC, whatever. Go to the question types if you don't know them, and remember them. Take a practice test, find EVERY question you did wrong, understand the answer you chose was wrong, and then write down why you picked the wrong answer. Also note the problem type, a la "Comprehension, Logic, etc."

Once you do that, you'll have a nice summary of what problems throw you off.

Now, since Verbal is on the fly non-subject related, my book recommended I read from the following places:

Archaelogy
SciAm
PopSci
NYT Op/Ed
Economist

Pick an article, or as many as you want, and map it out as you would on the MCAT. Topic, Scope, Purpose, what you're looking for. Look for any quirky sentences, and try to figure out what they are placed there for. What is the author trying to say? Does the author have some underlying tone? Why did the author use the phrase "The alligator is a banana" and so on.

While Kaplan says one article a day, I find it more well-rounded and world-informative to just pick one from each, given time (some of these don't update for a week :()

5 separate topics, none preferably from the biology-chemistry section if possible, each reading should take about 5-10 minutes max, so during a coffee break, during a meal, before bed, whenever, sit down, read, map, comprehend.