MCAT 512 cGPA 3.43, sGPA 3.52 Chances please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubledowner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Profile:

Currently Junior @ Top 20 (private). ORM
Just took MCAT: 512, GPA end of Sophomore : cGPA 3.43, sGPA 3.52 ( Best case scenario end of Junior Year: cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.7 )
Volunteer at Children's Hospital helping sick kids since Sophomore .
Research Intern at Medical school research Lab since summer.
Various Shadowing ( About 50 hours so far, will do more )
Varsity Athlete ( D3)
Illinois

Planning to apply next year.

What are my chances for next application cycle, whether it is better off trying to get into any school right away or trying for better schools first if fails apply again a year later, hoping at that time with better GPA/MCAT ?

List of schools for the coming cycle ( Admittedly this is short yet very top heavy, will expand based on suggestions if the goal is to get in any ):

UIC
Loyola Chicago
Rush
MCW
Tufts
Penn State
Creighton
Georgetown
Dartmouth
U of Washington
George Washington
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Tulane
USC Keck
Case
Rochester
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
SLU
Emory(?)
Michigan(?)
Emory?

Members don't see this ad.

Dartmouth, U Washington, USC, Case, Rochester, Emory, Michigan are far reaches with your GPA. The other schools on your list are fine. You could add these schools:
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Vermont
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not apply to UWash with your residence and profile. Their OOS (except those from ID, MT, WY and AK) hurdle is way too high and is focused on those with significant, demonstrated commitment to the underserved.

Thanks all for the insightful suggestions. I guess the real question I am struggling with is whether to try my luck apply for the reach schools in next cycle if fails which is very likely apply again or just try to get into any school in the next cycle?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What are my chances for next application cycle, whether it is better off trying to get into any school right away or trying for better schools first if fails apply again a year later, hoping at that time with better GPA/MCAT ?

TL: DR- Try to get in the first app cycle.

You can look at the table posted at the top of the WAMC forum stickies, convert your MCAT to the old scale and see what percentage of students with your stats get into medical school. I'd say with yours, your chances are pretty good at lower tier schools. A lot will rest on the quality of your personal statements and your interview skills. Go ahead and apply to some reach schools (minus the ones @Faha listed) but don't approach the process hoping to get into top-10 and reapplying if it doesn't work the first time. Apply once with your best application. Reapplicants have much harder time getting in and spending 2+ years on applications is an agony I wouldn't wish on you.

Sounds like it is better to skip a cycle apply after senior year if there is a chance to boost GPA? What about MCAT? I have seen posts suggesting retaking may not always be a good idea?

Sounds like it is better to skip a cycle apply after senior year if there is a chance to boost GPA? What about MCAT? I have seen posts suggesting retaking may not always be a good idea?

Apply after your senior year with a higher GPA. It is too late to apply this year anyway. You do not need to retake a MCAT of 512.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply after your senior year with a higher GPA. It is too late to apply this year anyway. You do not need to retake a MCAT of 512.

He's not applying this cycle but next and wants to know if he should take a gap year or apply next year as a senior. Yes, I think that you should apply after graduation/senior year. If you can get a 3.65-3.7 sGPA and add additional hours to your ECs in that time, you will have a good chance at admission.