MCAT advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
STOP! Unless you have a "special characteristic" (check matriculation/acceptance statistics outside of GPA/MCAT) or a MAJOR life experience (You gunned down 18 terrorists attacking you during an exam and then resuscitated all of them) you have no chance M.D. and D.O. is going to be a stretch. Apply next cycle! Don't waste the time and money, you're not ready.

I appreciate your concern! I am in the "Under-represented in Medicine" category, and I also have rather great Extra-curriculars. I could post them again, but you can find them in one of my WAMC threads on my profile! I feel that I am a strong candidate other than what my hypothetical MCAT score would be if I took it today.

Maybe it's easier to up your mcat score than I thought... but med school isn't about squeaking by and this feels like squeaking.

Also, I have not studied nearly as well as I should be. I did not start until May 21st and I still work full-time, so I probably study less than part time. It took my 3 weeks in June to study P/S section, but it bumped my score by 5 points on my practice tests. I have not really studied any of the biology or chemistry as nearly in depth as I did P/S.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a little "squeaky" by not being ideal. But OP needs to be realistic that in the next 1-2 months he/she isn't likely to break 505. But CP is not the hardest section to see improvement. A 122 in CP is seriously low and a couple high yield concepts and formulas can get you to 50%, if not then OP should cancel.
Average matriculate for DO is 503 and 3.4? OP is 3.6 and x/127/125/125 and with a 50% CP will be 502 and 3.6 which is 50% for DO students.

Thanks for the support! You have been a solid poster on my thread and appreciate all of the advice, insight, and support. I can agree, my conditions are less than Ideal. I wanted an early application, but I was not ready to take it in June, and I am not ready to take it now, and I know this. Squeaky is sufficient wording, but squeaky can get people in if they're the right fit, and at then of the day i'll take a squeaky acceptance over another gap year!

Reactions: 1 user
If you get into a U.S. medical school - you deserve to be there, period.
This is a reply that I stand by. If they let you in, it is because they know that you can succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It looks like you're good to go, I may have miss judged your app. But these other folks got you covered.
The only reason I said anything was because the statement I've quoted below is simply not true. adcoms make mistakes and have agendas just like the rest of the world, whether it's deserved or not is irrelevant. Ultimately, you are the person responsible for the choice to attend or not and you have to live with that. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just pointing out reality.

"If you get into a U.S. medical school - you deserve to be there, period." -false

It looks like you're good to go, I may have miss judged your app. But these other folks got you covered.
The only reason I said anything was because the statement I've quoted below is simply not true. adcoms make mistakes and have agendas just like the rest of the world, whether it's deserved or not is irrelevant. Ultimately, you are the person responsible for the choice to attend or not and you have to live with that. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just pointing out reality.

"If you get into a U.S. medical school - you deserve to be there, period." -false

Sure there are are outliers, but I would say that 98% of people who get in deserve to be there. There are always going to be politics involved in anything that you do in life, and getting in to medical school is no different.

I have to agree with cookiemonster it is a subjective opinion. But all these hoops we are all jumping through ON TOP of GPA and MCAT hustle, I do feel its deserved even if said person ends up being a terrible doctor. :/

Only on SDN can you get into medical school and someone will criticize you for not getting in good enough.

Once you’re in you’re in. All this pre med crap ends and there’s now no difference between you and your classmates.

Reactions: 5 users
Only on SDN can you get into medical school and someone will criticize you for not getting in good enough.

Once you’re in you’re in. All this pre med crap ends and there’s now no difference between you and your classmates.
Just quoting so others read twice!

Cookie stated that once your in you “deserve to be there” isn’t always true and it is subjective. I can feel that after all the hard work it takes that once you make it you do deserve it. My opinion is also a subjective feeling and not necessarily fact.
Sorry if my wording is poor. Basically saying “you get in you deserve it” is opinion. I typically agree with that opinion but concede it is only an opinion.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the responses! I just wanted to give everyone an update, and see what yall's advice might be this time around.

After my initial posting, I took a week to myself. I then purchased the AAMC Chemistry Qpack where I initially scored a 64% - reviewed every question - right and wrong - waited three days or so after reviewing and took again and made an 85% (this process has continued every few days to where I am now scoring in the 90% but unsure if this is due to just simple repetition at this point).

3 weeks ago, I retook just the C/P section on the AAMC FL 1 to see if I have gained any progress (waste of a take, but still). I scored a 124, and felt very discouraged, but reviewed all of the questions. I then retook the whole test about a week ago and scored a 508 (130/128/126/124). I understand fully that this is an inflated score. I did gain in the CARS and BB section without review, but declined in the P/S. However, I reviewed EVERY question on the test - right and wrong - and did my best to determine why I got those answers right and wrong.

Saturday, I purchased AAMC FL 2, and I scored a 506 (126/131/126/123). Felt more confident during this one then I ever did the previous one. Do you guys think that this score is also inflated or could this score be an accurate representation of what I might make on the actual test? I do plan on reviewing every question on this test as well, and then on Wednesday of this week taking AAMC FL 3. My test is scheduled for August 31st. Should I move my test? At this point, I would just have to cancel / take and void and sign up again in September.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the responses! I just wanted to give everyone an update, and see what yall's advice might be this time around.

After my initial posting, I took a week to myself. I then purchased the AAMC Chemistry Qpack where I initially scored a 64% - reviewed every question - right and wrong - waited three days or so after reviewing and took again and made an 85% (this process has continued every few days to where I am now scoring in the 90% but unsure if this is due to just simple repetition at this point).

3 weeks ago, I retook just the C/P section on the AAMC FL 1 to see if I have gained any progress (waste of a take, but still). I scored a 124, and felt very discouraged, but reviewed all of the questions. I then retook the whole test about a week ago and scored a 508 (130/128/126/124). I understand fully that this is an inflated score. I did gain in the CARS and BB section without review, but declined in the P/S. However, I reviewed EVERY question on the test - right and wrong - and did my best to determine why I got those answers right and wrong.

Saturday, I purchased AAMC FL 2, and I scored a 506 (126/131/126/123). Felt more confident during this one then I ever did the previous one. Do you guys think that this score is also inflated or could this score be an accurate representation of what I might make on the actual test? I do plan on reviewing every question on this test as well, and then on Wednesday of this week taking AAMC FL 3. My test is scheduled for August 31st. Should I move my test? At this point, I would just have to cancel / take and void and sign up again in September.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
No you're fine. And I would say at this point likely all the Sept spots are taken. You scored a 506 on a test you haven't seen.