NEED HELP ASAP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus Christ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I interviewed at KCU yesterday, but I also received my first acceptance offer from another school yesterday as well. I absolutely fell in love with KCU and am 100% ready to accept an offer from them if they proposed it. The problem is that the other school wants an answer by the 8th of Feb, and KCU said it would be 6-8 weeks before I heard from them. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to put deposits down at two schools, but turning down an acceptance in hopes of being granted another one seems asinine. Please help

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I interviewed at KCU yesterday, but I also received my first acceptance offer from another school yesterday as well. I absolutely fell in love with KCU and am 100% ready to accept an offer from them if they proposed it. The problem is that the other school wants an answer by the 8th of Feb, and KCU said it would be 6-8 weeks before I heard from them. I don't know what to do. I can't afford to put deposits down at two schools, but turning down an acceptance in hopes of being granted another one seems asinine. Please help

Thanks
I am in a similar situation with a couple schools I am waiting to hear back from. I don't think you can risk turning down the acceptance at the first school and jeopardize your chances of attending med school next in case you are rejected at KCU or never get off the waitlist. Worst case scenario, you can pay the deposit for the school you are accepted to and try to save some extra money or see if you can get a loan from anyone to pay for the KCU deposit if you get accepted there as well.

Make sure you check if the deposit is refundable or not. I noticed some DO schools are really random and either require 2 deposits, both non-refundable, 2 deposits with the first refundable and the second not refundable, or vice versa. If it specifically states non-refundable, I think your only choice is to bite-the-bullet and pay the deposit and if your first choice school accepts you, take the loss.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Borrow some money or use credit cards to secure a deposit on the 1st school while you wait for the KCU response.

Don't let a small amt. of money destroy one of the most important decisions of your life. Keep things in perspective here.

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks

You're right. Don't do something stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
Sell some stuff. It is always better to secure the guarantee than to bank on something. It will get rid of your stress as well. Sell your camera, sell your school books, call family, friends. Open a credit card, go to a bank and take out a small loan. Don't play the fool and just wait out a maybe. You will be happy studying medicine at either school in the end, but will be much less happy if you don't get to start this year. Good luck!

I was there yesterday as well. :)

I was very concerned with how many interviewees we had. (What was that, 100 people? Yikes.)

Definitely pay the deposit. I loved KCU as well, but if the other school is a sure thing you definitely should do it. (It would be worth delivering pizzas or driving for Uber in your spare time over the next 6 months, and in 6 months uber could pay that deposit.)

Thanks
I am not sure if you can ask for an extension to put your deposit at first school. If yes, great. If no, you should put your deposit now and then decide where you want to go if you get Accepted to KCU

I was very concerned with how many interviewees we had. (What was that, 100 people? Yikes.)
Damn, what??? There were only like 30 when I interviewed back in November.....

Anyways, OP, I was in the exact same boat as you. Had a deposit due for another school, called KCU and was told decisions would be released either the day after my deposit was due or early the next week. I paid the deposit....less than 24 hours later, got accepted to KCU.

It sucks, but you have to play the game. You don't know if you'll get accepted to KCU so turning down another acceptance is really risky. Use a CC if you have to (or, if you really have to, see if you can borrow money from family or a close friend).

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks
Agree that the answer is "actually, you can afford it". Worst case scenario you take out some sort of private debt (credit card or other) then pay that off with student loan money later on (which you will have access to because you were smart enough to guarantee yourself a seat at a med school by paying the deposit).

Regardless, you will regret not paying it for at least 1 year of not being in med school if you end up not getting accepted to KCU. It is extremely risky to throw away a med school acceptance, counting on another. My first interview was at a for profit school that was at the bottom of my list and had a 3k deposit but even though I had 2 more interviews lined up, you bet I was going to pay that deposit, giving me the virtual guarantee of becoming a physician. Ended up pretty glad I was waitlisted and accepted to programs higher on my list, but I know what I would have done.

Thanks
Also, KCU told me the same thing, i interviewed on the 7th of December and had a decision by 12/15. Im kind of in the same boat while waiting on my state MD as they dont send out decisions till late February. So if i get accepted there, im going to eat the KCU deposit

@fldoctorgirl my interview day in Joplin had about 60 people with the morning and afternoon interviews.

I am not sure if you can ask for an extension to put your deposit at first school. If yes, great. If no, you should put your deposit now and then decide where you want to go if you get Accepted to KCU
He does have till 2/8, he can hold off a bit

If decisions come way faster than KCU told us that could change the game. There isn’t really any harm in waiting until closer to the deadline to pay the deposit.

It is *not* worth risking a year of life, though.

The deposit portion stinks, but think of it as an insurance policy. An acceptance in hand is always better than hoping for one. However, since you are not certain of the acceptance in hand do all of their deposit-day other deadlines (signing forms, etc) if the school has them but hold paying your deposit till the day it is due.

Jesus already has pretty good credentials. Don't worry about it... Unless you're a fake!

Reactions: 1 user
If I was you, I would look to wait until the day before your deposit is due to put it down.

Then I would simply pay up.

You don't want to be sitting on here a year from now regretting not putting down the deposit and thereby turning down medical school.

If KCU accepts you and it's really that much better of a fit, you can try and fundraise the deposit there from friends, family, or credit cards.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself. You have an acceptance so I would pay that deposit then cross the bridge of possibly KCU if it comes. Don't jeopardize your chance at becoming a physician.