MCAT dilemma DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearded gent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on Saturday, June 17. Yesterday, I took AAMC FL 2 and scored a 490:(. The highest I've scored so far would be around a 502-504 on the sample AAMC test according to the reddit excel spreadsheet. My practice exams scores have steadily been dropping. I've already applied to TMDSAS and the last step would be an MCAT score. Obviously, it seems like I should postpone everything considering my stats (URM, 3.01 cGPA and 3.08 sGPA). I just have a dilemma concerning a committee letter that I received at my local university while completing a post-bacc. I would lose all my letters and have to start from the bottom up. Should I roll the dice and take it regardless or just mentally prepare myself to build from the ground up and reapply next year? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I just need confirmation lol.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you not save your letters to interfolio and then use it when you are applying? Also, general consensus is to take the MCAT when you are prepared. I was going to take it this summer but opted to take it next year because I wasn't ready, which is fine with me because I want to boost my GPA to 3.45 when I apply.

Don't take it. Something is obviously not working with your studying, how are you studying?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely dont take it. With that GPA, you need a strong MCAT, hopefully you only need to take it once. I dont think an MCAT of 502 will get you anywhere except possibly maybe the newer schools. Definitely see if you can compile your letters, you should have access to them next cycle too. Take the test once youre ready, kill it, and you will have a much stronger app.

Thanks for the input everyone. To be fair, I've only studied for a little over a month. As soon as finished the postbacc in mid May, I jumped right into MCAT material. I pretty much skipped all content review and went straight into AAMC study materials doing practice questions/tests. C/P and CARS have consistently been a struggle (averaging a mere 121 for both sections). I have around 150+ hours of research experience and around 100 hours of hospital and underserved medical clinic volunteer work. I'm lacking a DO letter which effects the amount of DO schools I'd be able to apply to. I might consider taking it in August and applying late for this cycle. Hopefully my university will allow me to compile my letters without any issues. All my letters should be strong and my personal statement was awesome, if I do say so myself lol. I already submitted my application to TMDSAS under the intentions of submitting a committee letter so I don't know how that effects things. I know without a doubt that I could score above a 505 with proper scheduling.

Can you not save your letters to interfolio and then use it when you are applying? Also, general consensus is to take the MCAT when you are prepared. I was going to take it this summer but opted to take it next year because I wasn't ready, which is fine with me because I want to boost my GPA to 3.45 when I apply.

Don't take it. Something is obviously not working with your studying, how are you studying?

Bro a 490? How can there be such a drop from your other practice exam? Dude don't rush taking the exam. Figure out why you're not scoring where you need to and address that (hint, do a lot of practice questions).

Postpone till like August if you have to, and study hard. Take a practice test around then and see where you're at then, don't give up on applying this cycle. I think the fact that you are a URM will net you several DO acceptances if you score above like a 504, even with your GPA (assuming other parts of your application are decent). If you score above a 509 you could even get into MD schools. A bad MCAT score is way worse than a late application, and September is not even late at all for DO applications (if you test in August)

Definitely dont take it. With that GPA, you need a strong MCAT, hopefully you only need to take it once. I dont think an MCAT of 502 will get you anywhere except possibly maybe the newer schools. Definitely see if you can compile your letters, you should have access to them next cycle too. Take the test once youre ready, kill it, and you will have a much stronger app.

Don't take the MCAT. Clearly what you are doing is not working. You NEED to figure out what that is first.

Save your letters of rec on interfolio.

Thanks for the input everyone. To be fair, I've only studied for a little over a month. As soon as finished the postbacc in mid May, I jumped right into MCAT material. I pretty much skipped all content review and went straight into AAMC study materials doing practice questions/tests. C/P and CARS have consistently been a struggle (averaging a mere 121 for both sections). I have around 150+ hours of research experience and around 100 hours of hospital and underserved medical clinic volunteer work. I'm lacking a DO letter which effects the amount of DO schools I'd be able to apply to. I might consider taking it in August and applying late for this cycle. Hopefully my university will allow me to compile my letters without any issues. All my letters should be strong and my personal statement was awesome, if I do say so myself lol. I already submitted my application to TMDSAS under the intentions of submitting a committee letter so I don't know how that effects things. I know without a doubt that I could score above a 505 with proper scheduling.
Unfortunately your EC's are worthless unless you have good GPA's and a solid MCAT score to go along with it. Your GPA's are already pretty low. You're going to need a solid MCAT score, as you know.

Your URM status will help, however. Are you black? If so, the average matriculant stats for black students are an MCAT of 497, and 3.35 cGPA and 3.19 sGPA. You're going to want to shoot for 500+ to maximize your chances.

Like the poster above said, without a decent MCAT score those ECs are worthless. Honestly with the information you have given I think you have some content deficiencies that you need to address before taking the MCAT. I think you are still 3 months out honestly. You really need to be aiming for 502+

Yes, I'm black. If my practice test scores improve to 502+ by the beginning of August should I take the MCAT and apply this cycle? Obviously, its not ideal but would it be worth the money considering it's a bit late.
Unfortunately your EC's are worthless unless you have good GPA's and a solid MCAT score to go along with it. Your GPA's are already pretty low. You're going to need a solid MCAT score, as you know.

Your URM status will help, however. Are you black? If so, the average matriculant stats for black students are an MCAT of 497, and 3.35 cGPA and 3.19 sGPA. You're going to want to shoot for 500+ to maximize your chances.

Like the poster above said, without a decent MCAT score those ECs are worthless. Honestly with the information you have given I think you have some content deficiencies that you need to address before taking the MCAT. I think you are still 3 months out honestly. You really need to be aiming for 502+

honestly i thought the sample test (the one that doesn't give you the actual scores, just percentages, right?) was by far the easiest one and frankly easier than the actual exam :/

Take the MCAT when you're ready to take it. You should put in around 3 months of concentrated, well-planned, and methodical studying prior to the test. It sounds like you A) have not studied enough, and B) are experiencing test anxiety. You need to work on both. Don't worry about the late application date - you won't get in anywhere with a 490, and with that GPA I wouldn't expect you to be admitted without at least a 505. If I were you I'd only take it when I was averaging around a 509.

Honestly with a 3.08 sGPA I don't think you're going to get in this year. You may have to do a SMP if your MCAT doesn't substantially improve. With the merger, DO schools are getting more and more competitive quite rapidly. Sorry but that's reality.

... what you could do is since your test is tomorrow and you're not getting a refund, go ahead and take it but don't submit it. That may go a long way in reducing any test anxiety.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user