mcat early, normal, late - 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogetter898

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the new 2020 cycle and dates, what would be considered an early, normal, or late test date this cycle vs a normal cycle. I know these are "corona times" so can't really compare or maybe you can't label dates as "late" this cycle, but as someone who still needs to schedule a test date, I would like some insight as to whether I should aim for july or take the extra time to study and aim for august if med schools are viewing all test dates the same without it hurting my chances given admissions are rolling. Below are the test dates and the last column is score releases.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 1.39.27 PM.png

Members don't see this ad.

The truth is, nobody knows. Before the pandemic, around mid-June would be the latest you could take your MCAT while still being considered an early applicant. With primaries submission being delayed by 2 weeks, I would say that you should take your MCAT by early July.

At the same time, many medical schools have stated that they will be slowing their initial review of applicants, which essentially means being an early applicant won't have as much benefit during this cycle as during a normal one. This means that a late-July, maybe even August MCAT, would be doable.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors