MCAT: Next steps post Kaplan and a voided test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspeedwagon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am really in need of some advice. I took the Apr 11 MCAT which I was forced to void it (it started off really well and I had no problem with the discrete problems; however, I had a really hard time with the latter passages). I couldn't shake my poor performance on the PS section and it really affected my exam. I have taken Kaplan (twice). I started with a 23 on their diagnostic (9 PS, 10 vR, 4 BS) and only after my second time did I see my score go up (high was 29 [10 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS]). I've averaged somewhere between that on the couple of AAMC exams I've taken. I felt even worse after the real exam than I did when I scored the 20 (hence the void).

I've been out of school a long time and the hardest thing has been applying what I know to complicated passages. I normally can do most discrete questions right, but when it comes to passage I either don't fully understand the experiment presented or what the core of the passage is and, to make things worse, I often can't figure out what is the question REALLY asking.

I'm considering a private tutor or a summer immersion class that includes this build in. Any advice? In the meantime I'm going to try and build stronger content and will likely work the PR Science Workbook passages more. It's a little disheartening since I feel I'm still where I was ability-wise at the time of my first Kaplan diagnostic a year ago and I've put a lot of time into this exam.

This is longer than I intended, but clearly I'm a little frustrated.

Thanks for reading and your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my experience:

The MCAT books (i.e. one for each subject) prepare you well enough for the MCAT exam. Learn everything in there and you'll do fine. When I took my MCAT the first time, I was relying too much on my own knowledge, which half the time was inaccurate! Once I realized my books covered the content that would be on the MCAT, I started focusing on learning that as opposed to relying on outside knowledge and I did fine.

Also, discrete Qs are great because they are easy points i.e. maybe 1 wrong per section. You need passage help my friend, and the only way to get better is to do more passages! Start working several passages a day (timed, of course) and focusing on the fact that the answers to the questions are from the passage you just read! Rarely do passages have discrete type questions