MCAT: Opinions on gaps between Coursework and Test Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently finishing the Winter semester of my sophomore year, and because of the revamped 2015 MCAT, and the extra classes I need to take, I plan on taking the test after my Junior year of study (Spring/Summer of 2016).

However, I am taking some of the more difficult courses that will be on the MCAT now (Cell Biology, Finishing Organic 1 and starting Organic 2 next semester).

My question is, how do you think this will translate in that I will have about a year gap between all of this material I am learning and the actual test. I plan on studying diligently for the test, but don't most people take it sooner than I plan to so as not to lose much of the information already learned?

I am terribly worried. Is restudying the information several months later a bad idea, especially with Organics 1 and 2 being finished by this spring?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Restudying the info is fine because it will reinforce all that material. Pretty much everyone has to restudy material for the mcat so it's not a big deal at all. Just remember that when you study orgo, you must RESPECT THE CHEMISTRY

Reactions: 1 users
Great question. I would like to know as well because I'm a non-trad planning on taking all my pre-reqs one class at a time. If it was up to me I would go full time student but unfortunately family comes first and I'm going to be working full time. I'm worried for the same reason you are, I fear I won't be able to retain much information by the time I take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Restudying the info is fine because it will reinforce all that material. Pretty much everyone has to restudy material for the mcat so it's not a big deal at all. Just remember that when you study orgo, you must RESPECT THE CHEMISTRY

Lol, it's about time somebody gave me a response like that!

Yeah, I appreciate that. So you don't think a 6-7 month gap before picking up Orgo again is a big deal?

Lol, it's about time somebody gave me a response like that!

Yeah, I appreciate that. So you don't think a 6-7 month gap before picking up Orgo again is a big deal?

The gap between taking orgo and beginning mcat studying for me was also 6-7 months lol. I'm sure you'll be fine, I was. Whatever you do while studying, just don't take a trip to Belize like Mike.

The gap between taking orgo and beginning mcat studying for me was also 6-7 months lol. I'm sure you'll be fine, I was. Whatever you do while studying, just don't take a trip to Belize like Mike.

Nah, was planning on moving to Alaska and studying there instead XD.

Thanks for the response though, that is reassuring. I am sure it will be fine once I get my head back into it and start studying again. It should mostly come back to me!

Hi all,

I am currently finishing the Winter semester of my sophomore year, and because of the revamped 2015 MCAT, and the extra classes I need to take, I plan on taking the test after my Junior year of study (Spring/Summer of 2016).

However, I am taking some of the more difficult courses that will be on the MCAT now (Cell Biology, Finishing Organic 1 and starting Organic 2 next semester).

My question is, how do you think this will translate in that I will have about a year gap between all of this material I am learning and the actual test. I plan on studying diligently for the test, but don't most people take it sooner than I plan to so as not to lose much of the information already learned?

I am terribly worried. Is restudying the information several months later a bad idea, especially with Organics 1 and 2 being finished by this spring?

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

I honestly think it'll work to your advantage. Personally, I took the MCAT 3 times. The last time was about 2 years after I'd taken Organic, and that was my best score. There's something about opening up a book and knowing you're know this information. That, and Chad's videos and you should be golden.