MCAT Percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question. But how exactly is the MCAT scored? According to what I have read a 500 is a 49% and 501 is a 51%. Does this mean you cannot get a 50 percent mcat only either a 49% or 51%? The reason I ask is I need a 50% or higher for my SMP. I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

The percentiles is used as a comparison to others who have taken the MCAT during the time period since the percentiles were last calculated. Scoring in the 51st percentile means you scored better than 50% of the people taking the exam. If you need to be at least at the 50th percentile, then the closest there is is a 501, which is the 51st percentile. I would say just study as hard as you can and aim for a high score, so that even if you have fluctuations on test day, you'll still come out ahead of the score you need. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
The percentiles is used as a comparison to others who have taken the MCAT during the time period since the percentiles were last calculated. Scoring in the 51st percentile means you scored better than 50% of the people taking the exam. If you need to be at least at the 50th percentile, then the closest there is is a 501, which is the 51st percentile. I would say just study as hard as you can and aim for a high score, so that even if you have fluctuations on test day, you'll still come out ahead of the score you need. I hope that helps!
Thank you much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user