MCAT prep - am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took all of my pre-reqs...about 10 years ago. I did not take biochem or sociology/psychology. I would like to take the MCAT before it changes for that reason. I have been doing review of materials with what little time I have (I am a mom and work part time) and the material is coming back to me. However, there is a lot of material and it has been awhile. My question is, would it be crazy to spend over $2000 on a Kaplan classroom prep class to help prepare for November's test or is there no hope for me even if I do take the class? I wonder if there is anyone else out there who has been in my situation.

Note: I was a graduate student in the sciences a few years back.

Members don't see this ad.

My two cents would be that you try to find a different prep company. I took Kaplan after not taking the pre-reqs in about 6 years and it was tough at first. Kaplan is very brief in certain areas, and I was in a class full of juniors who were currently taking those classes. I'd say try for Princeton Review, or maybe even private tutoring to get better focus.

Edit: it's totally possible to do well. The MCAT is really testing basic science, so it's not like the orgo section is going to be very demanding. Approaching the questions in a simplified manner can help make them less complex, after all there are 3 wrong answers and 1 right one. It's easier said than done of course, but I don't think you should call it quits because it isn't something you've studied in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I took all of my pre-reqs...about 10 years ago. I did not take biochem or sociology/psychology. I would like to take the MCAT before it changes for that reason. I have been doing review of materials with what little time I have (I am a mom and work part time) and the material is coming back to me. However, there is a lot of material and it has been awhile. My question is, would it be crazy to spend over $2000 on a Kaplan classroom prep class to help prepare for November's test or is there no hope for me even if I do take the class? I wonder if there is anyone else out there who has been in my situation.

I've heard Kaplan stinks. Do TBR with SN2ed maybe? Or Princeton

Members don't see this ad :)

I was under the impression that most schools require your pre-reqs be done within the previous 5 years of applying?

I was under the impression that most schools require your pre-reqs be done within the previous 5 years of applying?

Some schools have specific timelines as to when the pre-reqs should be completed. The Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) or a medical school's website will show the specific information. If you are having a hard time finding the information, you can try contacting specific programs.

I think it is a small percentage of programs that have required timelines (last 5 years). However, most programs like to see recent coursework to show you still have the capabilities you demonstrated in the past, even if it is not clearly stated.

If you decide to test before next January, I would take a practice MCAT and see where you are. If you can score somewhere around 28 + and you are still getting your academic legs back then you may want to give it a shot. This is with the thought that you are no where near your potential and you are going to get exponential gains. If you are not scoring well, don't take the actual test and push back your timeline. MCAT can make or break an application.

If you do make the push, you may want to take upper level science classes starting this fall or next spring at the latest.

Last edited:
Chad's videos via coursesaver come widely recommended. You may not have one on twenty instruction like an in-person kaplan or TPR course, but it seems like a good resource that is insanely cheaper than an in-person instruction course would run. I think a 90 access to the comprehensive video series is ~$100... cheaper for a shorter period. If you're planning on any of the January MCAT test dates (last offerings of the 2014 MCAT) register asap as test centers are already running out of seats (I registered for the 23rd two days ago, and one of two in my city were booked completely). From the 23rd, a six month study window begins tomorrow. If you ask me, you have sufficient time to master the material and get ready, but only you will really know that, and as five0tomed stated, gauge your scores as the test date approaches and push the test back if you're not where you need/want to be. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Some schools have specific timelines as to when the pre-reqs should be completed. The Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR) or a medical school's website will show the specific information. If you are having a hard time finding the information, you can try contacting specific programs.

I think it is a small percentage of programs that have required timelines (last 5 years). However, most programs like to see recent coursework to show you still have the capabilities you demonstrated in the past, even if it is not clearly stated.

From personal experience, this is spot-on. I found only one school (out of about 25-30 that I looked at initially) that had a five-year requirement, and I simply did not apply there. Most schools were fine with old prereqs as long as you had some recent coursework in the sciences, which I did.

From personal experience, this is spot-on. I found only one school (out of about 25-30 that I looked at initially) that had a five-year requirement, and I simply did not apply there. Most schools were fine with old prereqs as long as you had some recent coursework in the sciences, which I did.

Same here.

OP, I suggest doing maybe two weeks of review on your own. Concentrate on either physics/chem or bio/organic chem, then take that section in the free AAMC FL test and see how you do. This will give you an idea of whether you really need classroom prep or if you can do it on your own. I was >10 years removed from physics and gen chem and still did great on PS just by reviewing with the ExamKrackers books.

Thanks all!! I have contacted a few admissions offices and both of them said that they were indifferent to when the courses were taken, the MCAT would show where I am on my knowledge.

I took my pre-reqs (and a Princeton course) 8-10 years ago. I used the sn2ed schedule and did my own studying, basically relearned all the material because I didn't remember any of it. I was scoring very well on the AAMC practice tests (average of 35, high of 43). I don't think prep course is necessary, the TBR books are great, just might take you a little longer to go through them. I took Princeton and I thought it was a waste of money because I didn't need someone to read me the book, I can read it on my own.

After just taking my mcat, taking kaplan, and not seeing some of material in 15 years, I would not take kaplan, do a 3-6 month subscription of chads videos and whatever test prep books you like

After just taking my mcat, taking kaplan, and not seeing some of material in 15 years, I would not take kaplan, do a 3-6 month subscription of chads videos and whatever test prep books you like
Thanks cdistel. Could you elaborate on your experience with Kaplan? I am leaning towards PR now. I have a child at home so I really like the idea of going someplace physical to do test prep.

I took Kaplan... It was useless. Use different company. They gloss over topics and one of the instructors was wrong about chemistry one too many times that I just had to walk out. I was there for the organic Chen and verbal improvement

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it 4 years after prereqs and had good success with a Berkley Review/chads videos/Sn2 style study plan. Just devote some time to really learn all the content at a steady pace and then plenty of time to review. My ideal would have been 2 months of content review/learning/problems and then additional 2 months of going back through/practice problems/chads videos in tougher subjects/Aamc practice tests. My timeline wasn't perfect but I did 5 points better than I had 4 years previously when the prereqs were fresh and felt prepared. I took a class the first time but I didn't find it helpful and certainly not worth the money. I spent less than 500 for everything and then you get stuff from multiple sources.

Reactions: 1 users
I took it 4 years after prereqs and had good success with a Berkley Review/chads videos/Sn2 style study plan. Just devote some time to really learn all the content at a steady pace and then plenty of time to review. My ideal would have been 2 months of content review/learning/problems and then additional 2 months of going back through/practice problems/chads videos in tougher subjects/Aamc practice tests. My timeline wasn't perfect but I did 5 points better than I had 4 years previously when the prereqs were fresh and felt prepared. I took a class the first time but I didn't find it helpful and certainly not worth the money. I spent less than 500 for everything and then you get stuff from multiple sources.

Thank you! I love Chad's videos so far!

I'm currently in a Kaplan course now and honestly, I feel lost in the sauce. There are Juniors and Seniors in the prep course who are know-it-all and corrects the instructors every time they breath. I take my MCAT Oct. 25, and I feel like I need another resource. I'll check out Chad's videos.

It's a tossup - but, if the material is coming back to you easily, try purchasing the materials you need and doing it on your own. A great resource is to go to the AAMC website and download practice exam #3, which is free, and you can take it and get a feel for where you are. I recommend taking all the AAMC practice tests (which are not free), but spend the time and money knowing how the exam is conducted and arranged. Time management and disseminating material is half the battle with the MCAT - not as much knowledge based as you might think...

I'll add another positive mention for Chad's videos... They are a great resource; a couple tangible reasons why:
1)They're comprehensive; They cover every topic mentioned on AAMC's MCAT outline.
2).They're extremely affordable. $50 for one month access, and cheaper per month the longer you subscribe. Compare that to the $1000-$2000 price tag of an in-person review course, and you've saved yourself a ton of money.
3) Quality instruction; I believe Chad is a college level chemistry professor, I could be wrong, but he teaches like one, like a good one. He's not just some guy who scored well on the MCAT and decided to take the Kaplan training and start teaching MCAT prep. He has a lot of strategies to tackle complex calculations in the simplest most efficient ways.
4) Convenience; You can fit it into your schedule whenever, however you want.

I sound like a chad's videos spokesperson, in actuality, I'm just extremely impressed with the resource.

I'll add another positive mention for Chad's videos... They are a great resource; a couple tangible reasons why:
1)They're comprehensive; They cover every topic mentioned on AAMC's MCAT outline.
2).They're extremely affordable. $50 for one month access, and cheaper per month the longer you subscribe. Compare that to the $1000-$2000 price tag of an in-person review course, and you've saved yourself a ton of money.
3) Quality instruction; I believe Chad is a college level chemistry professor, I could be wrong, but he teaches like one, like a good one. He's not just some guy who scored well on the MCAT and decided to take the Kaplan training and start teaching MCAT prep. He has a lot of strategies to tackle complex calculations in the simplest most efficient ways.
4) Convenience; You can fit it into your schedule whenever, however you want.

I sound like a chad's videos spokesperson, in actuality, I'm just extremely impressed with the resource.

Yeah, and the outlines are golden also. I use that to take the majority of my notes, and notecards for other stuff/details. PS section is going to be a lot of practice and daunting, but the BS and Verbal will be more critical reasoning. You're going to find out this test is more about analyzing than rote knowledge. If you haven't done so, you need to buy the MCAT Self-diagnostics from AAMC. I have sooooooooooo much to say about MCAT studying tips, but I'm going to save that until after my own test in November.

This is win advice right here. Did you work while you were studying?

Thanks cdistel. Could you elaborate on your experience with Kaplan? I am leaning towards PR now. I have a child at home so I really like the idea of going someplace physical to do test prep.
Maybe tpr is different but I felt way too behind on kaplan and as fast as the class was going it felt impossible to keep up. I was rushing the material to keep up instead of learning it the first time.

This is win advice right here. Did you work while you were studying?

Yes, and in school. Luckily I worked at night about 4x a week.

So I would always do MCAT first thing in the morning, that way it always got done.

I did my research by reading this forum for a few months and interviewing fellow classmates, then decided to purchase all SN2 book recommendations, subscribe to Chad's plus am enrolled in a Kaplan course. Each of these resources are contributing to my need of seeing and hearing/viewing things over and over and in different teaching styles so I can get it;, plus staying on a strict schedule as the Kaplan course is accelerated into 5 weeks then one week until my MCAT. Undergrad was completed 24 years ago but I repeated all med school pre-reqs in the past 3 years, plus I work full time and have a busy family. I study from 4-7 am and 9-11 pm during the week and 10 hours each weekend. Better get back to it...