Mcat Prep Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xxbruinxx

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

so i'm doing SMEP this summer at YALE...it's awesome (i'm sure someone will recognize this from our class and know it's me, but oh well)

we're using all sorts of material to prepare for the mcat, mostly kaplan tests for the sciences.

From the AAMC tests i've done earlier this year, i feel the kaplan tests are so detail oriented, that i'm using a different strategy to do well on them; that's great and all, but i feel that it's nothing like the real thing, which doesn't really require, for example, reading the whole passage in the science sections (bio, chem, etc.)

sure there are some passages where you definitely have to, but these kaplan tests, you gotta read all of them. again, i have no prob. with this, but i'm changing my technique around to make sure i have enough time and answer correctly of course, but i don't feel this is the best technique with the actual mcat.

any thoughts?

for example, the kaplan Q's ask for formulas, specific naming of compounds, equations/computation type stuff, basically detail/subject matter oriented, where as (in my opinion) the actua MCAT doesn't do this sort of thing; it's more conceptual (at least the majority), less direct passage-based Q's, doesn't ask you to regurgitate info, but wants to test if you understand CONSCEPTS (not memorize equations and details)

let me know what you guys think....thanx

Members don't see this ad.

i don't remember enough to address the detail oriented vs. big concept issue

however, i did think the kaplan tests (6-11) were way harder than the aamc ones, and one thing i heard on this board that i think is true is that while the aamc tests can accurately predict your scores, the kaplan ones are a good indication of the level of difficulty
i.e. if you feel good after finishing the aamc tests but like crap after finishing the kaplan ones, then prepare to feel like crap after finishing the real mcat

that's how it was for me...i thought i bombed it but i ended up with the same scores i had been getting all along (upper 30s)

xxbruinxx said:
hi guys,
From the AAMC tests i've done earlier this year, i feel the kaplan tests are so detail oriented, that i'm using a different strategy to do well on them; that's great and all, but i feel that it's nothing like the real thing, which doesn't really require, for example, reading the whole passage in the science sections (bio, chem, etc.)

If you don't read the passages that you feel 'familiar with' on the real MCAT, I can guarantee you won't score higher than a 11 on the bio portion of the MCAT.