MCAT scheduling; two options....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I chose to post this here rather than the MCAT forum simply because I'd like to limit the discussion to non-trads who might better relate to my set of circumstances.

Here's my conundrum. I have two options to take the MCAT, either at the last test date for the current MCAT in January, where I will have taken all the necessary courses except the second of the OChem Series. I will have bio, chem, physics, biochem, and a 200 level superficial ochem (taking as a pre-req for biochem) and the first of the 300 level ochem (341). My study schedule will commence immediately and will be going through fall semester while taking 10 credits including ochem, biochem and genetics. I will have approximately 4 weeks of standalone study/prep after the end of fall semester, before the test date in January.

The second option is to take it in June or July, having more time to dedicate solely to prep. The sacrifice of this is three-fold: I'll be submitting apps a bit after the June 1 opening, I'll be subject to the new exam which at this point, nobody knows how to best prepare, and I will also sacrifice the opportunity to spend a season fighting wildfire and restocking my bank-account. I'm paying for my entire post-bacc out of savings, and the calculations have it being rather thin (if not entirely depleted) by application time...

So, my goal is a 40 on the MCAT. Yes, I'm aware that it's a lofty goal that will require a ton of work; which is why I'm planning now. However, I've done pretty darn well my pre-req courses so far and they are all relatively fresh.

Is going into the MCAT without the second Ochem risky? Is the study/prep timeline likely constrained in the first case? Please, share your thoughts and worries as if you were in my shoes.

Members don't see this ad.

It don't think it's risky. I took O-chem 8 years ago and I didn't remember a lick of it, and the orgo was very very basic. You'll be fine on the orgo aspect. However, after I saw the trial section of the 2015 MCAT, on my MCAT that I took last week, all I have to say is, it was hell, I don't think you want to take the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
It don't think it's risky. I took O-chem 8 years ago and I didn't remember a lick of it, and the orgo was very very basic. You'll be fine on the orgo aspect. However, after I saw the trial section of the 2015 MCAT, on my MCAT that I took last week, all I have to say is, it was hell, I don't think you want to take the new MCAT.
What was your trial section on? I had a trial section of the new social sciences part but not the sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your trial section on? I had a trial section of the new social sciences part but not the sciences.

Biochem! Omg it was terrible, and I have 11 credits of graduate level biochem.

I'm trying to fit in the old exam in jan. To avoid taking the new one despite the fact that, content wise, I'd probably be stronger on the new version. I just don't like the idea of having limited AAMC practice exams and other resources as well as the newness of scoring and not having a completely well established distribution.

That said, if I'm not scoring where I need to be when I get closer to the test date, I'll push back to the new version. But my anticipated application date is later than yours, too.

I'm trying to fit in the old exam in jan. To avoid taking the new one despite the fact that, content wise, I'd probably be stronger on the new version. I just don't like the idea of having limited AAMC practice exams and other resources as well as the newness of scoring and not having a completely well established distribution.

That said, if I'm not scoring where I need to be when I get closer to the test date, I'll push back to the new version. But my anticipated application date is later than yours, too.

We sit in the same boat, more or less. Having only a very vague idea of the new content leaves me extremely uneasy. I think starting now, we can learn this stuff solid by January. As with you, I'll be gauging my practice scores to see if I'm truly ready for it.

I think this will be an awesome option for you, should you choose to use it.

First ASAP buy a coursesaver subscription. Go through all the videos and take notes.
Then read TBR but dont do any questions.
Finally when you are done with the semester in your four weeks, re-read and do practice questions.
In this time you should spend the MOST TIME learning from the mistakes you make so you can correct them.
If you dedicate enough time in these four weeks and focus on problems and practice. Then the January exam is not a bad idea. But in the end, take it ONLY when you feel you are ready.

If I was in your situation that is what I would do. I ended up taking a gap year because I did not feel ready and I had been working and schooling for almost 8 years non-stop.

My dogs are really objecting to this MCAT study business....:p

OMG my dog did too. He actually took my TBR Bio book and ran away with it, then he did something else I can't remember. Ooh, he jumped on my lap in the middle of the practice exam, the he jumped behind my back in between the chair and my back and refused to leave. He was not happy about it, always biting my ankles and elbows as I was studying trying to get me to play with him.

OMG my dog did too. He actually took my TBR Bio book and ran away with it, then he did something else I can't remember. Ooh, he jumped on my lap in the middle of the practice exam, the he jumped behind my back in between the chair and my back and refused to leave. He was not happy about it, always biting my ankles and elbows as I was studying trying to get me to play with him.

:hijacked: Ellie keeps lying on me and my books or pushing her toy up against my arm repeatedly...her slobbery toy. Also, I was eating beef and au jus and got up to go do something quick, she got into it and spilled the au jus all over my TPR books and then chewed the syllabus because it tasted like beef after that. Now she keeps licking my books...:annoyed:

:hijacked: Ellie keeps lying on me and my books or pushing her toy up against my arm repeatedly...her slobbery toy. Also, I was eating beef and au jus and got up to go do something quick, she got into it and spilled the au jus all over my TPR books and then chewed the syllabus because it tasted like beef after that. Now she keeps licking my books...:annoyed:

Hijacked indeed! My dog wasn't that bad! He knows not to touch my plate/food. And he doesn't slobber! Do you need a syllabus, I can scan mine, its a few years old though.

Thanks to everyone for your input so far. I pulled the trigger on Jan 23rd and am registered. I'm now 3 days from the beginning of my 6 month study window. Woohoo!
Surprisingly, I found one of the two test centers was already full and apparently, seats in that final current MCAT test date are going fast. @wholeheartedly, I expect there will be a good rush of people registering for that last opportunity to take the current MCAT, so reserve your seat soon (if you haven't already), and best of luck with your prep!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to everyone for your input so far. I pulled the trigger on Jan 23rd and am registered. I'm now 3 days from the beginning of my 6 month study window. Woohoo!
Surprisingly, I found one of the two test centers was already full and apparently, seats in that final current MCAT test date are going fast. @wholeheartedly, I expect there will be a good rush of people registering for that last opportunity to take the current MCAT, so reserve your seat soon (if you haven't already), and best of luck with your prep!

I'm Jan. 15th. If you want to do some sort of hold each other accountable thing, let me know.

I'm Jan. 15th. If you want to do some sort of hold each other accountable thing, let me know.
Yes! Was thinking the same. :) I've sorta already started but will officially start a 10 hr/week program on Wednesday. I still need to lay-out a thorough outline and progress check. What is your game-plan? I'd love to bounce some ideas back and forth on how to best utilize the next 6 months...

I am in the same exact boat as well except by Jan, I will not have taken any Orgo (all other pre-reqs will be done). I know the consensus on SDN is you have to take all pre-reqs prior but I've seen some conflicting views as well. What are some of your thoughts? To take or not to take?

Don't take my word as the decisive voice, but going into it without any orgo will be a challenge. You may be able to learn the material well enough from Kahn Academy and Chad's video's, but only you and your practice exam scores can really provide that clarification. You might want to register for the Jan exam date and do an assessment within the rescheduling period (one month before the test date), and decide if you're sitting well enough to take the exam. I really think this is your best option, but be real with yourself and the interpretation of that result. Don't be overconfident that you will drastically improve your score in the next month if you are in fact struggling.

Thank you for that response. Very well said and thought out. It's appreciated.

Thank you for that response. Very well said and thought out. It's appreciated.

You bet, and good luck!

My study schedule is set. The notables:
month 1: Chad's video review of each subject, finish with practice/assessment exam
Little intermission for birthday (8/27) and Burning Man. Woohoo! :banana:(8/28 -9/1)

Balancing school (Biochem, Ochem, Genetics), part-time work, and MCAT study will be a challenge. I plan on a minimum of 2 hrs/ day 5 days/week, for roughly 40 hrs per month.
September: Physics Review and VR practice (1 passage/day)
October: Gen Chem Review and VR practice '' -- ''
November: Biology Review and VR practice ''--''
December: Organic Chem review and VR ''--''
January: test condition practice exams and trouble concept review. 5 hrs/day, 6 days/ week.

My favorite general note to myself was to "Minimize distractions; do not get a girlfriend during this period."

Never before in my life have I been this OCD, but I kinda like it. o_O

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the well wishes! Best of luck to you as well. Your schedule looks pretty good. You just have to stick to it. Not sure what mine will be yet. I have a few "distractions" that I can't get rid of (wife and kids....lol). So I must balance both and my job and going to school full time (crazy I know). Keep us posted on your progress.

Yes! Was thinking the same. :) I've sorta already started but will officially start a 10 hr/week program on Wednesday. I still need to lay-out a thorough outline and progress check. What is your game-plan? I'd love to bounce some ideas back and forth on how to best utilize the next 6 months...

Should we keep to this thread or start a new one?

Materials:
TPR Hyperlearning set
TBR books
Organic chemistry as a second language, both
Online resources as needed

Other things going on in my life:
40-45 hours of work/wk
Work intensive grad school class once a week in different city starting sept.
2 distracting stinker mutts

Rough plan:
Go through one chapter and some practice probs on sat, a chapter in a different subject on Sunday, more review probs once a week. Supplement with other resources as needed. Doing a little now as time allows but will start in earnest on sat.

One evening for the grad class, one evening for grad class work. Use other evenings for catch up. I'll have two weeks off in the fall, so I'll do some verbal and extra chapters during that time. Will do practice exams after chapters are all done. Should have some time off in the end of December as well.

Materials:
TPR Hyperlearning set
TBR books

40-45 hours of work/wk

Rough plan:
Go through one chapter and some practice probs on sat, a chapter in a different subject on Sunday, more review probs once a week. Supplement with other resources as needed. Doing a little now as time allows but will start in earnest on sat.

One evening for the grad class, one evening for grad class work. Use other evenings for catch up. I'll have two weeks off in the fall, so I'll do some verbal and extra chapters during that time. Will do practice exams after chapters are all done. Should have some time off in the end of December as well.

*edit: I'm debating if I want to rotate subjects or go through physics then chem then ochem then bio

I like the idea. Even if I don't have a plan yet to contribute. It sounds inspiring to all.

@herro123 whose to say that you will have to retake after Jan. 3 months is ample time to study for the MCAT. Just kill it! :)

@herro123 The Jan dates are the last dates for the OLD exam. After Jan, it's the new exam. Unless I read your post wrong, it sounded like you thought Jan would be the new one.

Materials:
TPR Hyperlearning set
TBR books

40-45 hours of work/wk

Rough plan:

1. Keep this one?

You have more going on than I. Hopefully in the meantime I find a research position, but otherwise I've eliminated most of the absolutely un-necessary things from my schedule, including putting my business on idle mode, unless I get a call from a client asking for a lay-up type job.

*edit: I'm debating if I want to rotate subjects or go through physics then chem then ochem then bio
I pondered the same, but realized I might better identify holes/weaknesses if I focus through one subject matter completely. I figured it may also provide a good checkpoint system to ensure I'm seeing all that I need to at the proper pace, so that I'm not left with an overload of material in an un-proportionate amount of time, come December/January.

Or are you saying you would have to review new material for a retake if you had a Jan test date? Regardless, I'm thinking that by November, it will be hard to find an empty slot for a retake in Jan, so you might be better off taking the extra 3 months to really prepare, take it once and be done!

@Quik are you concerned about retention of the material (say you start studying for Chemistry in August and then move on to the next subject in Sept, will you remember August material) by January?

Hey Jan MCATers! I am also taking the January 23rd test -- I'll have everything except physics 2 at that point, which concerns me, but the new MCAT concerns me a lot more. Heh.

I just wanted to toss this out there for my fellow six-monthers, as I came across it a few weeks ago: http://www.mcatforme.com/6-month-schedule/

It seems a pretty good pace for this long stretch, and they have 2 and 3 month study plans too.

It does look pretty good so far. If I do use this method, I think I will tweak the last month and just focus on practice tests....maybe.

From the things I've read on SDN from people that have scored >38 and from one adcom I know. It's more about practice problems than it is content review. Don't get me wrong, content review is critical but understanding the format of the test AND content is key. I believe you can accomplish this through more practice tests (AAMC) and less content review

Reactions: 1 users
What do I know though....to each his/her own :)

It does look pretty good so far. If I do use this method, I think I will tweak the last month and just focus on practice tests....maybe.

From the things I've read on SDN from people that have scored >38 and from one adcom I know. It's more about practice problems than it is content review. Don't get me wrong, content review is critical but understanding the format of the test AND content is key. I believe you can accomplish this through more practice tests (AAMC) and less content review

I've heard the same, and I'm trying to figure out that balance now. I haven't taken a full test yet because that lingering doubt says: 'Yes but you know don't all the content cold, how can you possibly do a test?'

Have you tried any of the MCAT self-assessment package questions from AAMC?

No, not yet. I'm thinking about taking AAMC #3. It's not a clear indicator of where you stand but it's a start.

@hawkbit Right, I'm planning to take the last OLD exam (in Jan 2015) as my first attempt. Worried about retaking at that point... but hopefully I will not need to (as per @ChemoChef advice! Thanks!). :)
I think you're starting with the wrong mind-set. You only want to take one bite out of this apple. Allowing for the possibility of a re-take is a recipe for disaster. Putting off the exam if you're not yet ready is a better strategy.

Lay out a study plan and stick to it. Starting asap (tmrw is the 6 month mark) set checkpoints, give yourself time to work through each subject, and allow for ample practice in the last 1-2 months before the exam.

If anyone would like my six month study schedule to see an example, PM me an email and I'm happy to share.

@herro123 glad to be of service!....I do agree with Quik, you should definitely have a plan of attack to make absolutely sure you are ready. 3 months is ample time for that if you can dedicate the time daily to accomplish a 3 month plan. Sorry that my initial comment was vague.

@Quik are you concerned about retention of the material (say you start studying for Chemistry in August and then move on to the next subject in Sept, will you remember August material) by January?

Well, I think no matter what the strategy in a six month schedule, you run the risk of not retaining info over the course of time. Say if I were to piece it together and jump around, I might forget whatever is up front, kinematics, electrochemistry, or whatever. My check for that is to go over the material multiple times; a superficial overview in the beginning, a thorough review month by month in the middle, and a comprehensive review in the first week of the last month. I also have the benefit of all of these courses being relatively recent, and with this strategy hope that I commit this stuff to memory so well that I can recite it on my death bed, hopefully a long time from January.

I'm 12+ years out from the pre reqs.... this is gonna be interesting.

I suspect I'll be making way more use of additional resources than I initially hoped.

Right on! I as well but whatever it takes to get there. They say once you've taken the classes, it all starts to come back to you upon review.

Another resource I got that's pretty cool is the SDN MCAT Pearls App for my ipad. I'm just getting started but liking it so far. I can pop open the ipad during breaks and review.

*I'm a volunteer moderator and am not getting any sort of kickback for product endorsement. :whistle:

Here we go, the clock is ticking... T-six months starts now!

Woohoo!!! Let's do this.

I did just subscribe to Chad's videos, and if anybody else reading this decides to do the same, if you wouldn't mind listing me as a referral source (username : Quik) that would be appreciated... It would get me another free week of access. Nothing huge, but might come in handy down the road in December when I'm doing my comprehensive review...

This is the first time I've subscribed to a thread! :)

*I'm a volunteer moderator and am not getting any sort of kickback for product endorsement. :whistle:
I did just subscribe to Chad's videos, and if anybody else reading this decides to do the same, if you wouldn't mind listing me as a referral source (username : Quik) that would be appreciated... It would get me another free week of access. Nothing huge, but might come in handy down the road in December when I'm doing my comprehensive review...

One shameless promotion followed by another... Let's hope this thread doesn't turn into an infomercial.

I'm registered for Mcat october 21st with 4 months studying. There's a Mcat GOAL I want to reach. Just in case, I don't do well as expected on aamc practice tests, i'll delay to january. My question is: Can I registered both october date and january date at the same time for the seats???

Hmm, that's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of. I doubt it. But you could try, and let us know.
I would guess the system would not let you double register.

Hello,

I am taking the test on Jan 10th for the first time, and starting my 4 month study schedule in September.

Good to meet you all.

@Labrat07 I believe only one test at a time can be registered for.

I plan on the 4 month SN2ed plan, starting early September.