Post-bacc options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfunnyusername

Reaction score
Hi everyone, excited to be a part of this community!

I am 23, got my bachelor's from a top liberal arts school (Pomona College), working in tech as an international student in NYC (I am from Ukraine, been living in the US since August 2018). Do not find the tech industry meaningful, interesting, or fulfilling. I’ve always been fascinated by science but scared to pursue it. It finally hit me that I wanted to be a doctor (I had an epiphany moment when I injured my ear and was in so much pain, and almost literally *** but doctors provided such great care to me, I literally would've suicided myself if not what they did).

Doing some volunteer work, and shadowing now, and taking online classes for fun and I love it so much. What post baccs do you think would be a good fit for me considering my stats?

Undergrad GPA: 3.6

My grades significantly improved when my English got better lol and I only learned how to balance sports and academics later.

SAT: 1450

Extracurriculars: doing some volunteering now + shadowing

Doubt that matters but I was at the top of my class in high school. In college, I was a top student-athlete, received multiple awards. I interned at the big tech company last summer but due to massive layoffs return offer was rescinded. Currently working as a product manager for a small unknown fitness B2B tech startup. I did work in a psych lab for a bit my sophomore year of college as I was considering it as my major.

Which post-baccs should I look at w my stats? It's hard to find those that accept internationals :( And most importantly, do you think I stand a chance in getting into med school in the US/Canada if I do well in post-bacc program? What should I do to strengthen the application? I am not going to apply just yet as I want to be 1000% sure I want to be a doctor but any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA is great, but I want to know if you have taken any prehealth/premedical prerequisite courses yet? It sounds to me like a DIY or career changer program is appropriate. In what metropolis do you live?

Which post-baccs should I look at
Depends. If you haven't done any prereqs, do a career-changer. This sounds like you. If you have completed the prereqs, consider a "grade repair / academic enhancement" program. It will consist mainly of upper level bio courses. The particular program doesn't matter; they're all sufficient. Some have linkages to a medical school, such as Temple.
It's hard to find those that accept internationals
DIY is your friend. You can register for classes a la carte through open university at your local public university--international status shouldn't matter. DIY is much cheaper than formal programs. You can also take online courses, but some schools may not accept them now that the pandemic is over. Do not take labs online.
do you think I stand a chance in getting into med school in the US/Canada if I do well in post-bacc program?
Yes
What should I do to strengthen the application?
Get straight A's. Obtain 1) clinical experience, 2) volunteering, 3) research, if you enjoy research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends. If you haven't done any prereqs, do a career-changer. This sounds like you. If you have completed the prereqs, consider a "grade repair / academic enhancement" program. It will consist mainly of upper level bio courses. The particular program doesn't matter; they're all sufficient. Some have linkages to a medical school, such as Temple.

DIY is your friend. You can register for classes a la carte through open university at your local public university--international status shouldn't matter. DIY is much cheaper than formal programs. You can also take online courses, but some schools may not accept them now that the pandemic is over. Do not take labs online.

Yes

Get straight A's. Obtain 1) clinical experience, 2) volunteering, 3) research, if you enjoy research.
I haven't taken any science classes, so I will be a career-changer! I will consider the DIY program though it might be hard considering I have a full-time job and I need to look into what I am allowed and not allowed to do with my visa status. What falls under clinical experience? Is it just shadowing physicians? And how do you go about finding research opportunities? Thanks!

The GPA is great, but I want to know if you have taken any prehealth/premedical prerequisite courses yet? It sounds to me like a DIY or career changer program is appropriate. In what metropolis do you live?
Thanks! I will be doing a career changer program :) I live in NYC!

Clinical experience means working (autonomously) with patients--so shadowing doesn't count. Clinical roles include: CNA, EMT, medical assistant, scribe, phlebotomist, surgical tech, and hospice volunteer. Generally, if you're doing something for a patient, and close enough to smell the patient, it's clinical. As for research, just ask your professors and attend departmental talks.

Also, Contact the pre-health advising team at Pomona College. They can provide you with a road map and can likely provide a committee letter when you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical experience means working (autonomously) with patients--so shadowing doesn't count. Clinical roles include: CNA, EMT, medical assistant, scribe, phlebotomist, surgical tech, and hospice volunteer. Generally, if you're doing something for a patient, and close enough to smell the patient, it's clinical. As for research, just ask your professors and attend departmental talks.
Right, I see. This might be a bit more challenging considering that I am working on a student visa right now and legally only limited to jobs that are related to my area of study (Computer Science). Volunteering should be fine, so I will look into hospice volunteering. For the research, do you think it's worth asking my professors from undergrad? It's been almost a year at this point and I haven't taken any science classes (only computer science lol). Thank you!!

Right, I see. This might be a bit more challenging considering that I am working on a student visa right now and legally only limited to jobs that are related to my area of study (Computer Science). Volunteering should be fine, so I will look into hospice volunteering. For the research, do you think it's worth asking my professors from undergrad? It's been almost a year at this point and I haven't taken any science classes (only computer science lol). Thank you!!
"Almost a year" is nothing in academia. Get their letters for post bacc programs. You will probably want to use your premed class professor letters for medical school apps. Make sure you get to know them during your courses.