MCAT Score Expiration Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mermaidbloop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I took my MCAT in April 2013, and I'm fairly happy with my score so I don't want to retake it. I worked for a year after graduation (graduated May 2013), and now I'm currently enrolled in a formal post-bacc program to get the GPA up. I plan on applying to medical school June 2015, so if accepted, I'd be matriculating August/September 2016. Technically, my April 2013 score would be 3 years and a couple months past the rule of "3 years" for an expired MCAT. Do I have to retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought the time limit was from when you took the MCAT until when you apply, not matriculate. In that case, it'd only be 2 years old. Am I wrong?

I always thought the time limit was from when you took the MCAT until when you apply, not matriculate. In that case, it'd only be 2 years old. Am I wrong?

That's what I assumed as well-- the 3 year rule corresponding to the time you apply, not matriculate. But for some reason I'm beginning to second-guess myself and wanted to confirm with others. I was trying to figure out a general consensus for most schools, but if anything I'll have to call each school and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
De
That's what I assumed as well-- the 3 year rule corresponding to the time you apply, not matriculate. But for some reason I'm beginning to second-guess myself and wanted to confirm with others. I was trying to figure out a general consensus for most schools, but if anything I'll have to call each school and ask.
Depends on the school. Call the schools you are interested in and ask them, or look up what they have online. Remember that some schools will no longer accept the old MCAT as soon as next cycle.

I remember researching this a few months ago, and most schools count it as from the time you take the MCAT to the time you enter the school's medical school (therefore matriculation). Most schools would consider the MCAT expired if that time would be more than 3 years.

I remember researching this a few months ago, and most schools count it as from the time you take the MCAT to the time you enter the school's medical school (therefore matriculation). Most schools would consider the MCAT expired if that time would be more than 3 years.

Wow, I had no idea. I guess it's a good thing I found this thread. Thanks!