MCAT - strength/weakness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How would you describe your MCAT/GPA?

• A strength of your med school application

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • A weakness of your med school application

Votes: 46 40.7%

• Total voters

Heimerfink

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel slighted as I received a 36 on the mcat and have a 3.85 gpa (science almost as high), and it's almost like schools are giving me a weird look when I interview with them. I know ivy leagues and top top schools aren't interviewing me due to lack of research, but I expected to get numerous interviews at the 20-50 ranked areas. While I did receive 4 interviews, tons of places simply never responded (Jefferson, GW). Jefferson especially is rumored to have a high cutoff meaning they figure I'll never go there because of my mcat so they look past me. I've done all the interviews but have yet to receive any responses.

I realize many of you just dread the mcats all day, but I have yet to hear from anyone on the flipside, like me. Also, I know many of you yell at me and tell me that I should have done more extracurriculars, but I wanted to have a normal life. Of course I did some volunteering and had clinical experience. What do they expect? Does someone who devotes their life to volunteering in a nursing home and doing research make a better physician?

More like - how many of you would describe your MCAT/GPA as the strong part of your app vs. having to justify why you can't get good grades/MCAT?

Sorry to wander. I just hate this process.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need more options on your poll

my gpa = weakness
my mcat score = strength.

you didnt have that option.

Heimerfink said:
\Does someone who devotes their life to volunteering in a nursing home and doing research make a better physician?

More like - how many of you would describe your MCAT/GPA as the strong part of your app vs. having to justify why you can't get good grades/MCAT?

I'm a fourth year med student who has recently started scanning these boards because a close friend is applying for med school currently. I think there is a flaw in your arguement. Just as a person who volunteers in a nursing home might not become a better physician, someone who has a great MCAT/GPA might not make one either. What you have to realize is that med school admissions, like many admissions processes, is somewhat of a game-and its only getting worse with the continually increasing popularity of medical professions. To a certain degree you must play the game, even though the correlation between the research, volunteer, grades and numerous other activities that premed students do and the type of physician you will be when you're out of training 7-15 years from now is highly suspect. Just try to accumulate a well rounded application and try to excel at whatever you do and hope for the best. It can be a frustrating process (and the road ahead is no better, with residency applications and the match) but try not to let it get to you, or else you'll just be miserable.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA and MCAT are sort of a weakness, my GPA contributing more so than my MCAT. My GPA is reflective of a crappy start to college, 2.87 my first semester and a slightly upward trend in the latter semesters. Same with my MCAT score. Accroding to the schools I spoke to, my GPA is the problem, immediately followed by atrociously bad and horrifying secondary pics. As a result of the feedback, I am probably gonna do a masters and buy a better digital camera.

Heimerfink said:
I realize many of you just dread the mcats all day, but I have yet to hear from anyone on the flipside, like me. Also, I know many of you yell at me and tell me that I should have done more extracurriculars, but I wanted to have a normal life. Of course I did some volunteering and had clinical experience. What do they expect? Does someone who devotes their life to volunteering in a nursing home and doing research make a better physician?

Sorry to wander. I just hate this process.

Hey, buddy. I'm going to be in a similar position. ECs are very, very important. You need a lot of them and they need to show "dedication" (lots of time spent) and "uniqueness" (figuring out something the next premed doesn't have to make you look better).

MCATs and GPA only count once. You can triple-dip your ECs, though. They are the backbone of successful essays and interviews. If I could go back 3 years, I would sacrifice my grades, MCAT, and free time to do more "altruistic" (the last thing they are) activities. This game of one-upsmanship has caused standard activities (shadowing, some research, and standard hospital volunteering) to become a liability.

agreed...my mcat was the same as the OP, but my GPA was way lower...i still think my mcat was one of the main positives on my app, though, so i chose the strength option...

slb830 said:
I think you need more options on your poll

my gpa = weakness
my mcat score = strength.

you didnt have that option.

Your scores are rather high. I'd say you have some other weaknesses. Reevaluate your entire application. Apply to only 15 schools, 5 at your range, 5 above, 5 below, and make those secondaries applications stellar!

RayhanS1282 said:
My GPA and MCAT are sort of a weakness, my GPA contributing more so than my MCAT. My GPA is reflective of a crappy start to college, 2.87 my first semester and a slightly upward trend in the latter semesters. Same with my MCAT score. Accroding to the schools I spoke to, my GPA is the problem, immediately followed by atrociously bad and horrifying secondary pics. As a result of the feedback, I am probably gonna do a masters and buy a better digital camera.

Did they really tell you that your pics were bad? :eek:

I voted for "strength" but only because weakness didn't fit. My GPA was a positive, my MCAT OK (probably one of the weakest parts of my app though), but I know I would NOT have the acceptances I have received without my EC's.

I disagree that you have to do them to "play the game" - you should want to do them and you should do what you're passionate about. Fillers aren't what med schools are looking for, but they do want experience...and more than just washing dishes in a lab and following a doctor around for a few weeks. OP, you said you wanted to have a life, well - sorry bud, but if you follow this road, medicine and all it's (un?)glamourous duties, are going to be a huge part of your life. Getting good numbers proves to the schools you have the academic capacity to handle the science behind medicine, but it doesn't prove to them you really want to work with sick poor people for the rest of your life. EC's or numbers cannot directly indicate how good of a doctor you will be, but there's only enough med school spots for 50% of the applicants every year, so keep that in mind in case things don't work out this year - reapply next year after evaluating potential weaknesses in your app.

I have absolutely no regrets with how I spent my time in college as I have loved every minute, and I didn't do it to "play the game."

chandelantern said:
I have absolutely no regrets with how I spent my time in college as I have loved every minute, and I didn't do it to "play the game."

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Medical schools liked my GPA, PC, Letters, and EC but didn't really like my MCAT. Very average. Probably explains the mixed response I've recieved. :rolleyes:

There is something to be said for the initial post. I did some research and spent some time in a hospital...but it wasn't nearly as much as the top 10 schools seem to be looking for. I did as much as I wanted to; I'll never have to live with having jumped in and faked some altruistic crap I didn't genuinely want to do.

I'd go so far as to say that the ivy league schools aren't necessarily looking for BOTH (high stats AND great ECs), but for PRIMARILY great ECs. Seriously, I think for many of these places the MCAT has really lost value (everyone I know accepted to harvard and hopkins has no higher than a 33 on the mcat). There ARE places that still value the intellect, and...to the initial poster: they're the ones that'll accept you. If you're anything like me, you'd rather be at those types of places anyway.