MCAT test anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how to beat test anxiety? In college, I was anxious on any test, no matter if I scored well or terrible on them in the end. Everything just seems to slip out of my mind when I pick up that pencil/pen. I never crammed for a test. I always gave myself weeks to study for exams. I freeze up when I get to hard questions and second guess myself on seemingly simple ones. I know everyone says to just skip the hard ones and don't second guess yourself but I just can't bring myself to do it. Also, are there any suggestions as to what kind of breakfast you should have before the test and what snacks to bring? I can't drink energy drinks because of the carbonation. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT and tests in general bring about so much stress. I was stressed all through the exam, and afterwards and now that i'm just doing practice questions for maybe a retake, not caring about it, I'm doing much better. It's hard to not care but it can bring down the anxiety.

I would recommend a balanced meal like eggs, a card, and a fruit. They have the long lasting energy you need, but the carb will help with the beginning of the test until the protein and fruit starts providing energy. For a snack I would recommend like an energy bar and water.

I know people who take medication for anxiety and it makes them feel happy but they get stressed out easily. I'm not sure if your situation is serious enough to need medication, unless you're having hot flashes and stuff during your sittings.

chew gum, I read about this the other day, supposedly it helps relax you (parasympathetic stimulation maybe? sort of tricking your body into thinking its eating?) going to try this one myself on my next FL haha

How do you respond to caffeine? - I have drank 5-hour energies and have varying reactions, but they more often than not help out alot with concentration and getting into a passage.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One reason the MCAT can be very stressful is that a lot of us sign up for a test date and then spend all this time building up to it. It puts the pressure on because we tend to see that test date as our only shot. No matter how well you think you'll do, come up with a backup plan anyway - one that you are happy with. At the very minimum, look at another test date that is reasonable for a retake. Just doing this will take a lot of that pressure off and make it less likely you'll have to use your backup.

One reason the MCAT can be very stressful is that a lot of us sign up for a test date and then spend all this time building up to it. It puts the pressure on because we tend to see that test date as our only shot. No matter how well you think you'll do, come up with a backup plan anyway - one that you are happy with. At the very minimum, look at another test date that is reasonable for a retake. Just doing this will take a lot of that pressure off and make it less likely you'll have to use your backup.

mine is on september 12. if i do bad on it, do you think I'll be able to get a test date in San Diego for January before the MCAT changes? If not, I'll probably push my date back

chew gum, I read about this the other day, supposedly it helps relax you (parasympathetic stimulation maybe? sort of tricking your body into thinking its eating?) going to try this one myself on my next FL haha

How do you respond to caffeine? - I have drank 5-hour energies and have varying reactions, but they more often than not help out alot with concentration and getting into a passage.
believe it or not, chewing a gum has helped me relax alot in times that Im too nervous!

you should play around with what works best for you, but I generally take it 30-45 minutes before the test begins

Thanks and I was just curious! You don't feel it hinders your concentration at all?

I have this natural extract thing I started taking for a nervous stomach. Then I read that people also use it for benzo withdrawal symptoms- assuming it has semi-similar effects as Klonopin, just trying to figure out when to take it/if I need to take it during the exam multiple times. I assume its effects are much more mild relative to things like prescription medications though.

OP: try Lemon Balm Extract

Last edited:
Thanks and I was just curious! You don't feel it hinders your concentration at all?

I have this natural extract thing I started taking for a nervous stomach. Then I read that people also use it for benzo withdrawal symptoms- assuming it has semi-similar effects as Klonopin, just trying to figure out when to take it/if I need to take it during the exam multiple times. I assume its effects are much more mild relative to things like perscription medications though.

OP: try Lemon Balm Extract

Ive taken something like that before too...nothing works quite as well as klonopin for me. I usually only take it 2-3 times a month as needed, so I dont experience any of the nasty side effects of benzos, nor do they lose their potency on me.

I have a pretty standard cocktail of pills I shove down my throat before every FL or the actual MCAT.

Half a klonopin + 10 mg adderall + 2 extra strength advil. That combination works very well...I stay (relatively) calm, have great focus, and dont get hit with headaches half way through my test.

Take a full length that you have already taken before near the test date. This should boost your confidence and relieve some stress.

Take a full length that you have already taken before near the test date. This should boost your confidence and relieve some stress.

Or shatter it...in general, don't think it's a good idea to re-take an FL unless you are dissecting questions to figure out thought progression/nuances