MCAT test Prep Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakbabydoll

Average student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to spend $2000 on a prep course or would I be ok studying on my own?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I hear from people, a prep course is only good for discipline in that when you see other people working hard, most likely you will focus more than when you are doing it by yourself (applies to some people). It's kind of like people you see at a coffee shop who are there because they can't study at home due to multiple distractions. The course gives you structure and I hear the teachers give you great advice but I don't think it's anything you can't get from this great site. But really, it's really more about how hard you work at it from what I see. A friend of mine who is a doc now said something to me that made me decide to go solo, "just because you pay 2000 bucks doesn't mean you're going to get a great score on the mcat, in the end, the only thing that matters is hard work." Besides, I rather spend more time on my weaknesses than go from A to Z.

I'm not spending $2000 just for motivation. Unless you really feel you need someone to walk through all the material with you, then maybe a course would be worth it since you can ask questions and get personal help. I'm pretty sure I can teach myself, especially considering how good some of these books are.

I just finished the Princeton Review course and it was $1600 and in my opinion its WAY overpriced. If you have the motivation and resources you can do well on the MCAT without the course. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I don't think I know anything more than someone who didn't take the course.

Now, I'm not knockin down Princeton Review because the instructors were helpful when you are taking the class. That being said, after you finish the course and pay the fees, the director doesn't give a damn about you.Like I said, I just finished the course and have some extra time before I take the MCAT and I asked if I could sit in on some of the remaining classes that haven't finished yet and he said I would have to pay an extra $300 to do that. :eek: Yea not only did I pay $1600, he wants me to pay another $300 for some extra help after the course? I asked him what the $300 was for and he said its for another set of books (which I already have) and a processing fee. Sounds to me you just want another reason to charge me an extra couple hundred of dollars!

In summary, if you have the motivation to study on your own then save your money and spend it on more useful things like student loans :laugh: If you need motivation then do take the course but don't rely on them to care if you do well or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also unwilling to pay a couple thousand bucks for a course and did just fine with only the EK books. I'm sure the courses have their pros, but I'd be willing to bet that they're much more helpful for people who are really starting from the bottom. If you're struggling to understand the science, then a run down of all of the material by a teacher might be pretty helpful. Otherwise, I think you can probably do about as well on your own.

I guess I'll try on my own (crossed fingers)... I am probably going to end up buying Kaplan Premier Program along with AAMC tests and EK 101 series.. any other suggestions?

I guess I'll try on my own (crossed fingers)... I am probably going to end up buying Kaplan Premier Program along with AAMC tests and EK 101 series.. any other suggestions?
There's so so many posts that have the break down of what books are best for what subject. It's highly recommended you try to get the TBR (what I'm using, and they seem pretty good, lots of practice passages after each section) or TPR hyperlearning books for gchem/physics/orgo and use EK for bio/verbal.

There's so so many posts that have the break down of what books are best for what subject. It's highly recommended you try to get the TBR (what I'm using, and they seem pretty good, lots of practice passages after each section) or TPR hyperlearning books for gchem/physics/orgo and use EK for bio/verbal.

I know thanks..I know its getting old but I am just super worried! not that I can use that as an excuse or anything lol

I know thanks..I know its getting old but I am just super worried! not that I can use that as an excuse or anything lol
Haha no worries.. it's not that it's getting old, I just want people to know how much information they can find pretty instantly from a search. But seriously, TBR books are excellent. I don't know if other books have as many passages and nice paragraphed answers for each question as these do.

You really should go with the recommended supplies. Kaplan doesn't cut it outside of science practice material and their practice tests. For content review, they aren't good. The MCAT Premier Program books offers poor content review and barely any practice problems making it an unwise choice for MCAT preperation. For that amount of money, you should pick up used copies of TPR Hyperlearning, BR, and EK.

You really should go with the recommended supplies. Kaplan doesn't cut it outside of science practice material and their practice tests. For content review, they aren't good. The MCAT Premier Program books offers poor content review and barely any practice problems making it an unwise choice for MCAT preperation. For that amount of money, you should pick up used copies of TPR Hyperlearning, BR, and EK.

Thanks I did what you suggested... This stuff is quite expensive!! I have not ordered everything yet but I checked prices and its going to cost me around $600+ to get everything including the AAMC practice test. Does edition really matter, I thought I read you saying earlier that its ok as long as its not older than 5 years right! I mostly will end up getting the 2004 edition. Do you think that would be ok?

It's not worth 2000 but no one should pay that much. Kaplan is listed at 1900 but they have 200 dollars off pretty much year round so that is 1700. TBR is 1600. Someone earlier in the thread said TPR was 1600. For someone who is just going to use the books it is definitely not worth it.

I'll use TBR as a comparison for price. It is 275 for all the home study books plus 31 for shipping. The have seven exams for 200. The seven aamc exams would cost 245 if you want those too (they are included with kaplan). All this would be $751.

That is a difference of $950 from the kaplan course. Kaplan has 11 full lengths, 4 more than TBR offers for home study. I would estimate this as worth ~100. It seems extreme to say you are paying 2000 for motivation. I think it is more like ~850 for motivation and instruction in the classes.

I'm not recommending taking a class, but I don't think it is that bad of a decision like some of you do. I think maybe SDNers are more likely than other people to be able to study on there own. Most people will study more if they take a class.

I didn't take a class but sometimes I feel like it would have helped me. I think I would have studied more if I took a class because I would have felt like I was wasting money if I didn't do all the assignments.

Thanks I did what you suggested... This stuff is quite expensive!! I have not ordered everything yet but I checked prices and its going to cost me around $600+ to get everything including the AAMC practice test. Does edition really matter, I thought I read you saying earlier that its ok as long as its not older than 5 years right! I mostly will end up getting the 2004 edition. Do you think that would be ok?

$600+ is too much. All of these prices are for new books.

$245 for AAMC FLs (http://www.e-mcat.com/)

$150 for BR Physics, O-chem, Gen Chem (http://www.berkeley-review.com/TBR/home-study.html)

$26 for EK Verbal 101 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243226173&sr=8-2)

$26 EK Bio 1001 (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243226173&sr=8-5)

$30 EK Bio (http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243226173&sr=8-9)

Prices vary on TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook

Total = $477 + TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + shipping for BR books

Is it worth it to spend $2000 on a prep course or would I be ok studying on my own?

My course cost $1495, but I would have definitely paid $2000 or more for what it gave me. Courses aren't for everyone, and what I read around here makes me feel like my class was an anomaly. So while I voted YES in this poll, that is for me and the course I took, not in general. If you could take the class I took and the MCAT I took, then a course is more than worth it.

What it came down to for me was not discipline (like people usually mention as a strength), but more so insights on how to attack the test and a great review of how to think about the material. The teachers gave me so many great tips and strategies that I walked into the MCAT knowing it was going to go well. I know people are surprised by some of the difficult passages, but I was completely ready for the exam.

While I've only taken one course, so I can't comment on the others, I think the fact that the one I took only teaches MCAT is what made it so good. I felt like they knew the test and in lecture they catered to the subjects they test in the style they ask questions.

I just feel like I need to apologize in advance for liking a course after reading what other posters have had to say. My experience really was exceptional.

It's not worth 2000 but no one should pay that much. Kaplan is listed at 1900 but they have 200 dollars off pretty much year round so that is 1700. TBR is 1600. Someone earlier in the thread said TPR was 1600. For someone who is just going to use the books it is definitely not worth it.

I'll use TBR as a comparison for price. It is 275 for all the home study books plus 31 for shipping. The have seven exams for 200. The seven aamc exams would cost 245 if you want those too (they are included with kaplan). All this would be $751.

That is a difference of $950 from the kaplan course. Kaplan has 11 full lengths, 4 more than TBR offers for home study. I would estimate this as worth ~100. It seems extreme to say you are paying 2000 for motivation. I think it is more like ~850 for motivation and instruction in the classes.

I'm not recommending taking a class, but I don't think it is that bad of a decision like some of you do. I think maybe SDNers are more likely than other people to be able to study on there own. Most people will study more if they take a class.

I didn't take a class but sometimes I feel like it would have helped me. I think I would have studied more if I took a class because I would have felt like I was wasting money if I didn't do all the assignments.

Great points! I just want to add a couple corrections if I may. I took BR and it cost $1500 and in addition to the homestudy books you get handouts for each class and practice exams at the end that add up to about 1200 pages of what I think are the best materials out there. So it's about ~750 for motivation and instruction in the classes and amazing review sheets.