MCAT/Upward Trend help with sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2050vlsb

bleed blue and gold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, after two weeks of waiting, I finally got an email this morning from AMCAS that my app's finally been verified. My excitement was slightly marred by the fact that my sGPA was about 0.02 lower than I'd calculated .. though, even without that, it still sucks

So, I'm wondering if having a strong upward trend and solid (?) MCAT will help with this a bit? My overall sGPA is just under 3.3, my MCAT is 32.

In terms of the upward trend: 3.0 (frosh/soph), 3.4 (junior), 3.93 (senior)

I feel like the rest of my app is pretty strong, with a 3.63cGPA, pretty solid ECs, LoRs, and I applied really widely (36 schools) .. its just this stupid sGPA that's keeping me up at night

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The steep upward trend will help you. Hopefully, when you were choosing schools, you made sure that your BCPM was above the bottom tenth percentile for most of the schools on your list?

Definitely .. Hopefully there aren't any drastic changes from the 2009-10 MSAR, but with the exception of some of the UCs and a few schools (I think about 5?) most of the 36 schools I applied to had 3.2/3.3 as the bottom 10th percentile