MCATs in august 2006 or abroad internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatoes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if these questions have already been posted but I desperately need help in deciding what would be the best time to take the MCATs. I'm a sophmore and will be taking physics II, o'chem II and Bio II this spring along with an intro philosophy class. I have not taken my o'chem labs b/c that's for junior year. I wil have all my requirements before august with the exception of labs. I've reduced my credit hours b/c I had a rough time managing it all last semester.

I have this amazing opportunity to go to south america and africa this summer as well as research. The only thing is I planned on taking my MCATs this summer. I realize that given these opportunities, I can always defer my mcats to april 2007. I was just wondering if there are any particular advantages to taking the MCATs earlier (ie early addmissions). I know the kind of test taker I am--I will have to take my mcats twice. Given that I take in august 2006 and April 2007 rather than april 2007 and august 2007 (if I defer), do my advantages outweigh my disadvantages.

Personally, I know that I will be more prepared if I defer my MCATs to april 2007 b/ of higher level bio classes. Another thing to consider is that the test will be changed to computer based in april 2007. I'm just worried if I'll be able to balance my finals/exams with mcats.

Sorry this is so long but I've asked people (advisors and such) and they didn't give me a definte answer. If I do delay it to april 2007, should I take MCAT classes now? I know it seems way too early but I want to get into a college with a particular program that has been a dream of mine. I can't take classes in the summer b/c I just don't have the time. I don't want to take the classes spring 07 when I'm cramming for the mcats b/c I know I'll study better on my own. I've taken Kaplan SAT course and they weren't at all helpful. I learned so much more on my own. Are MCAT classes similar to SATs? The advantage for taking classes are the proctored exams. The only thing is that in April 2007, the tests will change to computer based. What should I do?

One last question...if I don't take the classes this semester (very expensive) I would like to buy a book to take a look at and review the concepts as I am learning my physics, o'chem and bio. Is there a particular book that is useful as a good study guide? Are barron's and exam crackers good study guides?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.