MCATs in august 2006 or abroad internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatoes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if these questions have already been posted but I desperately need help in deciding what would be the best time to take the MCATs. I'm a sophmore and will be taking physics II, o'chem II and Bio II this spring along with an intro philosophy class. I have not taken my o'chem labs b/c that's for junior year. I wil have all my requirements before august with the exception of labs. I've reduced my credit hours b/c I had a rough time managing it all last semester.

I have this amazing opportunity to go to south america and africa this summer as well as research. The only thing is I planned on taking my MCATs this summer. I realize that given these opportunities, I can always defer my mcats to april 2007. I was just wondering if there are any particular advantages to taking the MCATs earlier (ie early addmissions). I know the kind of test taker I am--I will have to take my mcats twice. Given that I take in august 2006 and April 2007 rather than april 2007 and august 2007 (if I defer), do my advantages outweigh my disadvantages.

Personally, I know that I will be more prepared if I defer my MCATs to april 2007 b/ of higher level bio classes. Another thing to consider is that the test will be changed to computer based in april 2007. I'm just worried if I'll be able to balance my finals/exams with mcats.

Sorry this is so long but I've asked people (advisors and such) and they didn't give me a definte answer. If I do delay it to april 2007, should I take MCAT classes now? I know it seems way too early but I want to get into a college with a particular program that has been a dream of mine. I can't take classes in the summer b/c I just don't have the time. I don't want to take the classes spring 07 when I'm cramming for the mcats b/c I know I'll study better on my own. I've taken Kaplan SAT course and they weren't at all helpful. I learned so much more on my own. Are MCAT classes similar to SATs? The advantage for taking classes are the proctored exams. The only thing is that in April 2007, the tests will change to computer based. What should I do?

One last question...if I don't take the classes this semester (very expensive) I would like to buy a book to take a look at and review the concepts as I am learning my physics, o'chem and bio. Is there a particular book that is useful as a good study guide? Are barron's and exam crackers good study guides for this sort of thing? Are there any others ie "Kaplan Comprehensive Review"?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

potatoes said:
I'm sorry if these questions have already been posted but I desperately need help in deciding what would be the best time to take the MCATs. I'm a sophmore and will be taking physics II, o'chem II and Bio II this spring along with an intro philosophy class. I have not taken my o'chem labs b/c that's for junior year. I wil have all my requirements before august with the exception of labs. I've reduced my credit hours b/c I had a rough time managing it all last semester.

I have this amazing opportunity to go to south america and africa this summer as well as research. The only thing is I planned on taking my MCATs this summer. I realize that given these opportunities, I can always defer my mcats to april 2007. I was just wondering if there are any particular advantages to taking the MCATs earlier (ie early addmissions). I know the kind of test taker I am--I will have to take my mcats twice. Given that I take in august 2006 and April 2007 rather than april 2007 and august 2007 (if I defer), do my advantages outweigh my disadvantages.

Personally, I know that I will be more prepared if I defer my MCATs to april 2007 b/ of higher level bio classes. Another thing to consider is that the test will be changed to computer based in april 2007. I'm just worried if I'll be able to balance my finals/exams with mcats.

Sorry this is so long but I've asked people (advisors and such) and they didn't give me a definte answer. If I do delay it to april 2007, should I take MCAT classes now? I know it seems way too early but I want to get into a college with a particular program that has been a dream of mine. I can't take classes in the summer b/c I just don't have the time. I don't want to take the classes spring 07 when I'm cramming for the mcats b/c I know I'll study better on my own. I've taken Kaplan SAT course and they weren't at all helpful. I learned so much more on my own. Are MCAT classes similar to SATs? The advantage for taking classes are the proctored exams. The only thing is that in April 2007, the tests will change to computer based. What should I do?

One last question...if I don't take the classes this semester (very expensive) I would like to buy a book to take a look at and review the concepts as I am learning my physics, o'chem and bio. Is there a particular book that is useful as a good study guide? Are barron's and exam crackers good study guides for this sort of thing? Are there any others ie "Kaplan Comprehensive Review"?

Thanks

Lots of questions, let me see if I can help. My friend had a similar situation, just minus the August MCAT. He went to Northern Ireland for a semester and, as a result, took the MCAT over there. I myself had the unique oppertunity to travel to Australia but I had already taken my MCAT. There are A LOT of positives to traveling abroad (far too many to list but its a def. plus to be able to mention a place that, most likely, few, if any, of your interviewers have EVER traveled to or, as I said in my interviews: being abroad was not only a way to learn more about myself, but, also, it put my morals and values on a pedistal where I, and they, were judged while I was far away from my comforts).

Okay, that said, now the negatives: you are not going to be able to study while abroad. I am saying this for two reasons: one, you are out of your comfort zone and it is just SO hard to concentrate and, two, you will want to see this country, who has time to study when you are in a place you may NEVER see again?! Also, I noticed you are doing research. In Sydney I did IDDM research and worked 40-50 hours a week in a lab. (no time to study).

As for the positives or negatives to getting into the admissions early I am a little torn. I myself applied late due to waiting for my transcripts to arive from Sydney. In the end, my application was finished by about the same time as those who took the August MCAT's. My Northern Ireland traveling friend, however, applied June 1st. In the end, we both got seven interviews but, as you can imagine, my acceptances are coming much later and I have to wait longer after my interviews to find out how I did. So far it is working out well (three acceptances for me, six for him).

As for the class, both my friend and I did not take the class due to its high cost. Both of our MCAT scores were low (22 and a 23) so I can only recommend taking the class. The MCATs are nothing like the SAT's. If you study well on your own and have enough faith in yourself to keep at it, I bought the Kaplan book and bought some practice MCAT tests off EBAY. The key to the MCAT is practice, practice, practice, if you can do that and keep at it all throughout that summer, go for it.

Hope I helped, but there were A LOT of questions!! :laugh:

Thanks for your patience for reading and answering some of the questions! :) The advisors here at my university aren't that helpful. They say it's only up to me to decide and I feel pressured every time they say that. So really thank your for your help!

I agree that abroad internships and mcats can't happen together and I've come to accept that. With parents' pressure (I'm the only child) I just want to make certain that I am doing the right thing, you know?

Anybody else want to recommend books to use as review/outline with my classes this spring?

potatoes said:
Thanks for your patience for reading and answering some of the questions! :) The advisors here at my university aren't that helpful. They say it's only up to me to decide and I feel pressured every time they say that. So really thank your for your help!

I agree that abroad internships and mcats can't happen together and I've come to accept that. With parents' pressure (I'm the only child) I just want to make certain that I am doing the right thing, you know?

Anybody else want to recommend books to use as review/outline with my classes this spring?

I am the youngest and the only one left at home. My next oldest brother is 26 so I had the same pressure. But, let me be the first to say that a trip to another country to find yourself is one that you will NEVER forget.