MCPHS Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think the prereq gpa is more important than your cumulative, which only works against your stats. figure out waht you did wrong and retake waht you can. they give you a chance to explain the gaping holes in your application (low grades, etc). although not required at MCP (yet), my advisor said they definitely consider the PCAT too.

Hey I am also going to apply to MCP worcester for pharmd. I have a 3.03 cumulative gpa with a lower prereq gpa like you. Luckily I already attend MCPHS boston so I have a good connection with the admission on both campus... they have told me that they put a heavy emphasis on their pre-req classes, so yeah 2.5 is a lil low BUT they still look at everything. A 3.0 gpa is decent enough since many applicants have gpas under that believe it or not. Also, I would take the PCAT if I were you (I'm taking it) even tho they dont require it, if you do well, it makes up for the low gpa aspect. They look for experience/leadership and capacity to handle workload. So if you have an upward trend in your gpa or even better if you have a valid reason (not excuse, i.e; medical reason, family death, 4hr commute due to low budget etc...) why your gpa isnt as high as you want it to be, that will greatly help....

Having said all this, I know we are both still on the low end of the spectrum but its very much possible to get in. Good luck to ya!!! i'll try to open up a thread for the class of 2017 mcphs worcester pharmd applicants

Members don't see this ad.

anybody know if and when we need stethescopes? i imagine it would be during anatomy...

you need it for P2 Spring Lab.

Anyone excited to move in tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I am also going to apply to MCP worcester for pharmd. I have a 3.03 cumulative gpa with a lower prereq gpa like you. Luckily I already attend MCPHS boston so I have a good connection with the admission on both campus... they have told me that they put a heavy emphasis on their pre-req classes, so yeah 2.5 is a lil low BUT they still look at everything. A 3.0 gpa is decent enough since many applicants have gpas under that believe it or not. Also, I would take the PCAT if I were you (I'm taking it) even tho they dont require it, if you do well, it makes up for the low gpa aspect. They look for experience/leadership and capacity to handle workload. So if you have an upward trend in your gpa or even better if you have a valid reason (not excuse, i.e; medical reason, family death, 4hr commute due to low budget etc...) why your gpa isnt as high as you want it to be, that will greatly help....

Having said all this, I know we are both still on the low end of the spectrum but its very much possible to get in. Good luck to ya!!! i'll try to open up a thread for the class of 2017 mcphs worcester pharmd applicants

They told me last year they don't consider pcat at all. No point in submitting it. Maybe it's different this year

They told me last year they don't consider pcat at all. No point in submitting it. Maybe it's different this year

Ur right about the pcat... are u a first year student there or are u applying again? If u dont mind what stats did u have to get in or what stats do u have now?

Ur right about the pcat... are u a first year student there or are u applying again? If u dont mind what stats did u have to get in or what stats do u have now?

Applied got rejected. Going to Minnesota now.

Applied got rejected. Going to Minnesota now.

When did u apply to mcp Worcester? September or December? And please can u share ur stats... reason why im asking is that i have no choice but to wait until my grades are in from the fall semester to apply early December. By the grace of God my gpa will be over the 3.0 cutoff by then

Applied in October. GPA below 3. No interview. If you don't have at least a 3.0 then I wouldn't bother applying.

Applied in October. GPA below 3. No interview. If you don't have at least a 3.0 then I wouldn't bother applying.

I heard about that 3.0 cutoff but the lowest i personally heard was 2.8 but that person overcame a medical obstacle. I too have a similar story so im hoping they will be somewhat sympathetic. But the question is will they be ok with a 2.8/2.9 .... 3.0 is a serious uphill battle given my 2.5 current gpa but by the grace of God I will get in!

Why is this school so popular to apply to?

Why is this school so popular to apply to?

Its one of the few schools (1 of 8 if im not mistaken) that offers a 2 year 10 month program for pharmd.... and the last six months are rotations only so its 2 years 4 month of school... saving time n money

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.

I'm going to be applying to MCPHS Worcester soon, but I have some concerns about my strength as an applicant.

I have a B.A. in Biology-Psychology form Tufts University. That is my strongest attribute.

My cumulative GPA is around 3.05, but my GPA in the prerequisite courses is lower (closer to ~2.5). The reason for this is because I got a D, a C-, and a couple of C's. I am retaking the D course next semester.

Do you think MCPHS adcom will overlook my poor grades in those prerequisite courses considering I completed them at a top tier university ? I'm not trying to sound pretentious, but I could have easily gone to a community college and maintained a 4.0.

Thoughts?

Dude u will be fine. I saw on another post that ur a certified emt n u have hospital experience, plus a b.s degree from tufts! Ur over the 3.0 cutoff so if i ere u i would just explain how u realized med school wasnt the right choice for u and pharmacy is. Even if its not, fake it until u make it! But personally dude, that extra money ur gonna spend making ur med school dream happen is worth it. But ur call obviously, good luck with whatever u decide...
"Make wise decisions for your life, and don't be a prisoner of the moment"

Hello,
I have received an interview invitation in the mail today along with a prerequisite worksheet. On the worksheet, it says I still need microbiology. Do I have to take micro if I got accepted ( even though I have a BS and I have taken tons of upper level bio and chm courses) ??
Also PharmCAS counted one of my Biochemistry coursers as Microbiology. Should I call MCPHS and let them know?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?
feedback please....

Hello,
I have received an interview invitation in the mail today along with a prerequisite worksheet. On the worksheet, it says I still need microbiology. Do I have to take micro if I got accepted ( even though I have a BS and I have taken tons of upper level bio and chm courses) ??
Also PharmCAS counted one of my Biochemistry coursers as Microbiology. Should I call MCPHS and let them know?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?
feedback please....

Call them and ask. They're probably your best answer.

They will probably make you take a microbiology course (schools typically have a specific course they are looking for to fulfill the requirement). Even if you got accepted, it's conditional until you meet all of the pre-requisites (which I doubt they will make exceptions, unless an extreme case). But you could always test the waters and call to ask!

i have done 2 years university anyone know how much the application costs to apply for pharmacy? thanks!

I have an interview coming up and going to fly to Logan Internation Airport. What is the best cheapest way to get to the worcester campus?

I have an interview coming up and going to fly to Logan Internation Airport. What is the best cheapest way to get to the worcester campus?
I think its cheaper if you rent a car if your staying at a hotel. The shuttle is about $45. So I think getting there and back is about $90 plus you have to think about how your going to get to the campus if staying at a hotel. I would suggest the car rental and ask them about the ez pay for the toll roads out there.

Hello guys, I am new to this forum.
I have my interview next week may 5, MCPHS-W. I'm so nervous and excited right now.
Can anyone please give me a little more insight of the interview process. Also English is my second language, do I have to worry about the writing section. How can I prepare myself for this interview?
I'm coming from Miami, if anyone could help decide on which airport, hotel will be best for me.
Please any help will greatly appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

Hello guys,

I just graduated from MCPHS University, Worcester campus.
The interview is straightforward and easy. The writing is easy and they just want to look at your grammar mostly.
The cheapest (and quite easy) way to get from the airport to the Worcester campus is to take the Silver Line from Boston Logan Airport to South Station (major hub for buses/trains). The Silver Line is FREE. However, you do have to pay ($2 or @2.50) on the way back (from South Station to Logan Airport). After you get to South Station, walk to the bus terminal (ask the info desk or someone how to get there because the terminal is very big) and take the Peter Pan/Greyhound Bus (both are the same company). The website is peterpanbus.com. You can purchase a ticket to Worcester on the kiosk machines or go up to the ticket counter for Peter Pan Bus. Tickets run from about $10-$12 ish. You can stay at the Holiday Inn Express if you want to save money. It's quite new, only been there for maybe a year ish. It's an easy walk to campus (10 min or less) and is SAFE. I've had no troubles walking there to get Starbucks (starbucks is right next to Holiday Inn Express). I have lived at both Lincoln Square and 25 Foster St.
Hope this helps.

I have several questions that I would like to ask :
1. What kind of books do P1 students use for their US health care class and physio classes?
I really want to read ahead because I heard those are the most difficult classes for P1 students.
2.For the orientation, do we have to take any special tests before matriculation?
3. I am wondering what your housing plans will be. I would like to live on campus, but it's too expensive. Anyone here wants to live off campus and look for a roommate. Please let me know.
Thank you very much for all your inputs.
any helps would be greatly appreciated , and I will see you all for the class of 2016.:love:
Did you ever find out what books you need for mcphs?

I'll send you a pm with the info I just sent to Waterlily91.

Best of luck!
Hi!!! I know this is an old post but could you also PM me about how was it like for your interview?? I am super nervous about the interview as well as the writing portion >.<!!!

Has anyone applied to this school yet? My pharmCAS application was mailed on August 8th and I completed the supplemental shortly after. I hadn't heard anything from them (not even that my application had been received), so I e-mailed about my application status this afternoon and received a reply right away saying my application is complete and will be reviewed shortly! Now it's the waiting game! :xf:
From where do you get the supplement application. Because, I called them and they said that they don't have any supplemental application.