MD and DO 3.62 cGPA, 3.48 sGPA, 26Q MCAT - Please help :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovespink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just received my second MCAT score. Not what I expected but I decided to do the sensible thing of accepting it and moving on since there is nothing I can do about it at this point.

1st MCAT 06 VR/11PS/09 BS 26Q
2nd MCAT 07 VR/10PS/09 BS 26Q

cGPA 3.62
sGPA 3.48

I am going into my senior year at a public university (OOS) and I am a New York resident.

ECs:

-3 year Varsity (D1) athlete (will be 4 year after this year)
-volunteer at hospital
-shadowing (also at hospital)
-volunteer in community where I attend school (in conjunction with the sport that I play)
-research

I received my MCAT score today and am reevaluating my application. I submitted my AMCAS and it has been verified. I am working on my AACOMAS application, however, I do not have a DO letter or DO shadowing. I am working getting them done.

Since my MCAT score was not what I was hoping it would be, I am not sure where to apply at this point. Should I still apply to MD schools? Any suggestions of DO schools where I would be competitive (also keeping in mind that I do not have DO shadowing or a DO letter at this point)? I am also going to apply to Sackler. Any advice and/or suggestions would really be appreciated.

PS I did not bother listing schools because my list is no longer realistic and in the 4 hours since I saw my score, I am just trying to regroup and move on. I would really appreciate help and suggestions. Thank you :)
If you are intent on moving on, and don't plan to retake the MCAT:

I suggest you still apply to your least-selective public MD schools instate. Your MCAT score may fall below the bottom tenth percentile for acceptees for all of them, but folks in the bottom 1st-9th percentile get accepted too. It's possible that your sports background will resonate with some adcomms and against all odds, due to generally good ECs and a decent GPA, that you will be accepted. You won't know if you don't try.

Your stats are fine for many DO schools. Just avoid the ones that require a DO LOR until it looks like you can get one:
DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

If you are intent on moving on, and don't plan to retake the MCAT:

I suggest you still apply to your least-selective public MD schools instate. Your MCAT score may fall below the bottom tenth percentile for acceptees for all of them, but folks in the bottom 1st-9th percentile get accepted too. It's possible that your sports background will resonate with some adcomms and against all odds, due to generally good ECs and a decent GPA, that you will be accepted. You won't know if you don't try.

Your stats are fine for many DO schools. Just avoid the ones that require a DO LOR until it looks like you can get one:
DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

I just want to thank you Catalystik for your response. I decided to delete the thread earlier because I was discouraged. Then I saw your response which I truly appreciate. I have only posted a couple of times and your advice has been both helpful and positive. I resist posting on this site,especially during times like this, because the negativity from many posters is counterproductive and, at times, demoralizing. I took your advice and updated AMCAS to apply to my state schools and some other lower tier MD schools. I will also be applying to DO schools (thank you for the DO information), and will try to get a DO letter. Are there any lower tier MD schools that might be worth applying to? Also, in my post I did not provide too much detail regarding my ECs but I have had many awards and accolades with regard to my sport (which is also a tremendous time commitment, 30+ hours per week and travel and play all year).

Thanks Catalystik for your post. Extremely uplifting, constructive and helpful. If you can think of any lower tier MD schools that might overlook a dismal MCAT X2, please let me know. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Commonwealth in Pa (seeks to train rural NE PA docs, so don't bother if you can't show enthusiasm for, ties to, and some experience with rural areas, but an SDNer got in their with a 25 her first try), UIllinois (high OOS tuition, but has also taken 25ers), EVMS, RFU, Cooper (newer). You might Search through the underdog thread and see what else you can dig up.