MD + another degree...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connie95

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know I want to be a doctor for sure, but recently it seems like I will have to take 2 gap years before I can matriculate…

If I were to get a degree during my gap years, which one would be the MOST useful to an MD? I know, a lot of you will say nothing, but I really want to know which degree (MBA, MPH, etc.) will give me the most benefit and the greatest number of additional career opportunities in the field of medicine that may not be open to people with just an MD. In other words, which supplements the MD degree the best? Non-trad, adcom advice is appreciated as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
it honestly depends on what you hope to do in your career. An MBA will be more or less useless if you only practice clinical medicine. MPH can help with policy or clinical research, but again not as useful if you are not planning to get involved in that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you're interested in.

Right now, I'm not really sure what would interest me…I know I want an MD for sure, but I don't really know what advantages a combined degree (MD/MBA or MD/MPH) could offer me in terms of career prospects. What kinds of options would I have?

Right now, I'm not really sure what would interest me…I know I want an MD for sure, but I don't really know what advantages a combined degree (MD/MBA or MD/MPH) could offer me in terms of career prospects. What kinds of options would I have?
it honestly depends on what you hope to do in your career. An MBA will be more or less useless if you only practice clinical medicine. MPH can help with policy or clinical research, but again not as useful if you are not planning to get involved in that.
^
This. MBA helps if you want to do consultancy (think startups), but @darkjedi basically hit the nail on the head.

A dual degree should be a tool to get you where you want to go. It's not really meant to 'open up options'. Do you want to do health care consulting? Public policy? Healthcare econ? First figure out what you hope to be able to do in you career, and then figure out which tools can help you get there.

So I know I want to be a doctor for sure, but recently it seems like I will have to take 2 gap years before I can matriculate…

If I were to get a degree during my gap years, which one would be the MOST useful to an MD? I know, a lot of you will say nothing, but I really want to know which degree (MBA, MPH, etc.) will give me the most benefit and the greatest number of additional career opportunities in the field of medicine that may not be open to people with just an MD. In other words, which supplements the MD degree the best? Non-trad, adcom advice is appreciated as well!
The most helpful would be the one that doesn't require further debt.

MFA it will come handy if you go into Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, Radiology, Pediatrics !!

Usually you don't know whether or not you want to work your way into management when you're young. MBAs can open up doors for you later in your career, but they're honestly probably better when you're more fresh out of MBA school (MD then MBA) as you will likely have forgotten most of your MBA skills by the time you are ready to use them. For that reason, I agree with your assessment that an MBA is not an ideal way to spend a gap year.

MFA it will come handy if you go into Plastic Reconstructive Surgery, Radiology, Pediatrics !!

I do want to go into peds, but how will a MFA help me? :confused: Isn't that master of fine arts?

A dual degree should be a tool to get you where you want to go. It's not really meant to 'open up options'. Do you want to do health care consulting? Public policy? Healthcare econ? First figure out what you hope to be able to do in you career, and then figure out which tools can help you get there.

What if I want to do international medicine and help societies on a global scale? I do not see myself practicing in the US for my entire life…I know I will want to go serve underserved countries or work internationally for some part of my career…any degree that could help me with this?

I do want to go into peds, but how will a MFA help me? :confused: Isn't that master of fine arts?
I think they're implying the creative skills learned in the MFA will help you with Peds. It's a stretch, but I can see the connection.

What if I want to do international medicine and help societies on a global scale? I do not see myself practicing in the US for my entire life…I know I will want to go serve underserved countries or work internationally for some part of my career…any degree that could help me with this?
MPH or MHI.

Here one example http://www.davidteplica.com/photography.html

EDUCATION

• 1977-1981 Degree of Bachelor of Philosophy, with High DistinctionPennsylvania State University; University Park, PA1981 -1985 Degree of Medical DoctorDartmouth Medical School; Hanover, NH1985-1988 Residency in General SurgeryUniversity of Chicago Hospitals; Chicago, IL1988-1990 Research Fellow, Section of Plastic SurgeryNational Institutes of Health Surgical Scientist Training GrantUniversity of Chicago Hospitals; Chicago, IL1988-1990 Degree of Master of Fine ArtsSchool of the Art Institute of Chicago; Chicago, IL1990-1992 Residency in Plastic Surgery University of Chicago Hospitals; Chicago, IL7/92-12/92 Post-graduate Fellowship, Aesthetic Reconstruction of the FaceUnder the direction of Gary C. Burget, MDSaint Joseph Hospital; Chicago, IL

Usually you don't know whether or not you want to work your way into management when you're young. MBAs can open up doors for you later in your career, but they're honestly probably better when you're more fresh out of MBA school (MD then MBA) as you will likely have forgotten most of your MBA skills by the time you are ready to use them. For that reason, I agree with your assessment that an MBA is not an ideal way to spend a gap year.

Yeah, the idea of working in hospital administration or opening up a private practice appeals to me, but I'm not 100% certain about it yet…but then I doubt I'll have time to do an MBA after med school…once I get into residency, I think I'll start to detest the idea of going back to school. And there would really be no reason for me to study a different subject…I could probably get a fellowship during that time instead. Is there anyway I can utilize the MBA skills learned during my gap year directly? maybe throughout med school?

MPH or MHI.

Hmm this MHI (masters of healthcare innovation right?) sounds kind of interesting. I've never heard of it before, but I'll give it a look. Thanks!

Also, would a nutrition degree help me in any way? And is it something I can do in two years or less? Or maybe one of those naturopathic/ayurvedic degrees? It would be nice to be able to practice medicine without having to rely on medicines all the time..natural methods of treatment inspire me and I wish I could incorporate these methods in my future practice, although I don't knw how feasible this would be...

Hmm this MHI (masters of healthcare innovation right?) sounds kind of interesting. I've never heard of it before, but I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Masters of Health Informatics.

I'm not sure that this means another degree, but becoming very proficient in Spanish seems like a good idea.

Agree an mph would be an option. It's broad too so you could focus on epidemiology, biostats if you want tone involved in clinical or population level research. At my school there are also options in community health promotion, maternal and child health, environmental health, public health nutrition, and related programs.

If you really want to get another degree and aren't sure in what, I'd suggest going to the websites of some larger programs offering the degrees you are considering, go through the requirements an electives and see what seems most interesting to you.