Six years to earn undergraduate degree among other things...should I still bother trying for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voskei

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Goro What are your thoughts? Given your guide on reinvention I wonder what you have to say about my situation. Going to a lot of treatment for mental health before initiating the postbacc, which is something I can’t really mention to med schools re: my spotty undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I admitted to college in Fall 2018. As of summer 2023, I had all but three classes complete. Because of times when classes are offered, I won't finish those three classes until June 2024. My GPA is also 3.47 with a gap year (3.3 freshman, 3.7 sophomore and junior year, gap year, 3.3 senior year). I know I'm in need of reinvention so I'm going to find a research position + some volunteering and shadowing opportunities, then pursue a post-bacc next fall. With my spotty record, do I have a shot at admission, or do I appear too hesitant/unstable to medical schools to warrant MD?
Prove that you can handle med school, and yes, MD and DO are on the table

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Prove that you can handle med school, and yes, MD and DO are on the table
@Goro Sorry for necro-ing this thread, but I have one last question.

I'm looking into programs right now. I've ruled out post-baccs for the most part because my pre-reqs are mostly As/A-s, so I don't need to retake any.

My plan is to do a full time research job, retake my expired MCAT, and get in volunteering+shadowing hours in the next year. Fall 2024 I could take a full course load for three semesters (DIY-Postbacc of 18 credits), and apply summer 2025. I could also do an SMP instead in fall 2024. If I'm aiming for MD, would you suggest the SMP or DIY-postbacc (With the assumption that I can handle either)?

Last edited:
Necro-ing is for threads that are older than 1 year. You're fine. :)

Remind me of your BCPM GPA again? SMP could be a little overkill, so I'd ask some of the program directors of various postbac programs and see what they tell you, knowing a little bit that some of them will do a marketing pitch.

Reactions: 1 user
Necro-ing is for threads that are older than 1 year. You're fine. :)

Remind me of your BCPM GPA again? SMP could be a little overkill, so I'd ask some of the program directors of various postbac programs and see what they tell you, knowing a little bit that some of them will do a marketing pitch.
It’s also about 3.4-3.5!