MD & Do chances? 30 MCAT, GPA 3.71, sGPA 3.73

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vantheman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be applying next cycle and I am going to start getting a school list together but I am not exactly sure where I stand (low tier, mid-tier, etc.). Any responses would be much appreciated!

Biology major with emphasis in physiology.
CA resident.
White Male

Stats:

Overal GPA: 3.71
Science GPA: 3.73
(GPA shows strong upward trend)

MCAT: 30
PS= 11
VR= 8
BS= 11
(how badly will my VR score hurt me?)

ECs:

Two years of research
500+ hours of clinical volunteer experience
~75 hours of physician shadowing
TA for gen ED physical science class
Tutor on campus for o-chem, chem, and bio.
~100 hours of community service for various things.

I just don't know how competitive of an applicant I am (if I am competitive at all). So if I can get any feedback or advice I would be very thankful. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

You'll definitely be competitive at some places (especially low-tier MD and DO). You should be somewhat competitive for mid-tier too, although a lot of times it's a crapshoot unless you have something that really makes you stand out. Being from Cali will also help you if you decide to stay in-state because California HEAVILY favors in-state applicants. I have similar scores/ECs as you and I didn't even bother applying there because I'm from IL. Also, you hit 30 on the MCAT, which seems to be the magic number for MD schools. It's still below the accepted average, but it'll be competitive. The 8 on reading might hurt some places, but it's definitely not as bad as if you got an 8 on BS, so I wouldn't stress that too much.

Overall you should be able to get in if you pick your schools right. I'd say split MD applications between low and mid tier schools and apply to a few DO schools. You could also apply to 1 or 2 top tier schools if you really love them, as long as you understand you're chances of getting in are incredibly slim.

I'll leave you with a word of advice I've gotten from several doctors, including one who went to Harvard med:

When you're applying to residencies, they look at your board scores as the most important thing. They'll take the person who went to the worst med school in the country and got near-perfect scores over the person that went to a top-tier school and barely passed every single time. Go to the school where you'll be the happiest and that you think will help you get the highest board score possible.

Hope this was helpful and good luck with the next cycle!

Your MCAT score is right around the 10th% for most of the CA schools. It is below the 10th% for Stanford and USC. That leaves you competing with about 5000 instate applicants for (maybe) about 200 MD postions. This doesn't include all the OOS applicants that apply.

Your best bet is going to to be OOS at the schools with a history of matriculating a significant number in your stat range. Get the MSAR. Apply early.

You are very good for Western and Touro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strongly concur with my learned colleague.

Your MCAT score is right around the 10th% for most of the CA schools. It is below the 10th% for Stanford and USC. That leaves you competing with about 5000 instate applicants for (maybe) about 200 MD postions. This doesn't include all the OOS applicants that apply.

Your best bet is going to to be OOS at the schools with a history of matriculating a significant number in your stat range. Get the MSAR. Apply early.

You are very good for Western and Touro.