MD/DO chances MCAT 27 overall GPA 3.7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuron6350

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what my chances for MD/DO programs just submitted know it's late but applied to a few MD as long shots and a few DO schools as well. But any recommendations for schools to apply too ?

my STAT's are:
Create Thread | Student Doctor Network
overall GPA 3.7 biological sci major, major NYC university. sci GPA 3.5 MCAT 27 (8 verbal , 10 ps, 9 bs)
took the test a few times (I know it's bad and three of them are older than 2 years) [ I know it probably doesn't matter but highest overall combined is for the last two years is a 29 (10 verbal, 10 ps, 9 bs]

received several undergraduate awards (2 university scholarships, university honors, President's honor roll, 6 semesters of Dean's List). Lot's of Research - 3000+ hrs combined total hrs.
- 12 posters, 6 at international pediatric and neuro conferences, author on a Symposium talk.
- 1 primary author publication , and 2 more non-primary author publication in revision.
- 3.5 years of Neurology research during undergrad, 2 years of Pediatrics research after graduation
1000+ hours in volunteering in pediatric and adult emergency department for 2.5 years at least 500 hours as head volunteer. High school tutor - 100 hours - 2 semesters. Leadership position for 2 semesters as VP of Neuro club. Shadowed a few MD in intensive care and research (200 hours) , lot's of LOR's from MD's and committee letter.

In the middle of my sophomore year (2010) both my grandparents were diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and I took care of them traveling across the country for the last four years until June 2014 when they both passed. It was the reason I decided to go into research and don't regret it but it took a toll on my MCAT and GPA.

idk if it matters but I'm a first generation American, if that matters. Wondering what you guys thought my chances at MD/DO programs? and which?

thanx

Members don't see this ad.

If you write your application well and really sell your experiences, you might have a shot at some MD schools. You are competititve for most DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
School list :
Einstein
Temple
Tufts
NYMC
SUNY buffalo
SUNY downstate
Jefferson
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Warren Alpert at brown
UCLA
Stony brook
FIU

NYCOM
PCOM
Western

I'm still waiting to be verified but any chance of getting interviewed or accepted to any MD program

Members don't see this ad :)
Brown is a far reach and UCLA and FIU accept very few OOS applicants with a MCAT of 27. You could add Albany, Drexel, Oakland Beaumont, and Western Michigan and SUNY Upstate where you would have a chance for an interview. Also add a few more DO schools.