This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodakyellow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a pre med major studying in a top 50 US School. Im in my senior year have taken my MCAT's and have already applied to around 20 MD US Schools. I scored a 510 on my MCAT Chem125 CARS130 Bio127 and Psych128. I have a 3.8 GPA overall (psych major) and a 3.7 BCPM GPA. I am graduating a semester early as well. I want to go school this cycle and really don't want to take a gap year. So far Ive been rejected to 5 schools all of which I have been on par with my metrics. I know my letter is good, and I have good ECS shadowing, volunteering, research, and employment. With these rejections I'm thinking about how to continue as Im planning to get rejected everywhere so I'm debating my options now. I am planning to practice in the united states, so the two schools I am looking at (sackler and ross) pose some problems bc its difficult to get residencies in US after attending these schools. My other route would be DO, I did research and it really seems that DO is no different than MD, and I'm not one to be prideful and be upset with a DO title, so I am really leaning towards DO school. However, I know i did well in college and on my MCATs so i can't say i wouldn't be at least a little disappointed going to a DO school. Anyway Im just trying to decide what the best route is and get some input from other students. Basically as I see it my three options (assuming i get rejected everywhere this cycle is (Gap year, DO, or Ross / Saclker) What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.8/510 there is absolutely no reason you should need to apply to Caribbean schools. It sounds like you should have a decent chance at MD, and a gap year could further improve your chances. What was your school list?

Reactions: 1 user
With a 3.8/510 there is absolutely no reason you should need to apply to Caribbean schools. It sounds like you should have a decent chance at MD, and a gap year could further improve your chances. What was your school list?
Quinnipiac University SOM

SUNY Upstate Medical University

State University of New York Downstate

Stony Brook University School of Medicine

The University of Miami School of Medicine

The University of Vermont College of Medicine

Tulane University School of Medicine

University of Arizona College of Medicine-Tucson

University of California, Davis School of Medicine

University of Central Florida COM Regular

University of Colorado School of Medicine Regular

University of Connecticut School of Medicine

Albany Medical College Regular

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA

FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine

Florida State University

Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the

University at Buffalo

Loma Linda University School of Medicine Regular

New York Medical College

From this list Rejects include Albany, Colorado, Tulane, and Stonybrook
Waitlisted to Arizona, and put "On hold" at SUNY upstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree

Rule 1: Take A Breath

1) with the brief outline above, you certainly seem viable MD candidate if you have well polished application and reasonable school list that matches mission in addition to just stats
2) the application seasonis far from over and may continue fof some thru next July
3) almost half of matriculants get a single offer of acceptance
4) it is far, far, far too soon to even be thinking of anything but a possible gap year, especially if you are a reapplicant as many schools note the most common mistake is reapplying too soon
5) with only 40% acceptance rate all applicants must assume they will be rejected and become a reapplicant. therefore all applicants must continue to enhance their record from the moment they apply. What are you doing in that regard?
6) you can start by re-evaluating your actual application from the wording of ECs, to the PS and the secondaries. Who reviewed them before you sent them?
7) consider shadowing DO to make that a viable option

Thank you for your input! I am a first time applicant. So a gap year wouldn't be too bad, its just personal preference Id rather start sooner than later. I wasn't aware of many of the stats you listed so thank you for that! and as far as bettering myself goes, I started shadowing a hospitalist doctor in a hospital setting, I am currently finishing out my senior year, (hoping for a 4.0) and am going to continue my volunteering (Cardiac intensive care unit volunteer) and also going to try and become published on a (self started) research project working with a professor I am close with. Not really sure what else I can do although I am sure there is a lot. I am also currently studying for the MCAT to retake in the case of total rejection this cycle.

Like what gyngyn said, get rid of schools which you do not fit in. TBH your list sucks. Get rid of state schools that matriculate very few OOS applicants (Vermont, UCD, UConn, UCLA, FIU, Florida State, Colorado). If you do not fit the mission of Loma Linda don't even bother. I would recommend:
Georgetown
George Washington
Saint Louis University
Wayne State
USC
VCU
EVMS
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel

Last edited:
Many of the schools on your list matriculate very few internationals (UCLA). Some of them hardly consider OOS (UCD)!
At least one is a mission-based school (LLU).

Is OP international? I don't see that in their post.
But either way, it's not a very good school list. Too many public OOS schools. OP, buy the MSAR and don't apply to any OOS public schools that have less than ~30% OOS students in their class.

Is OP international? I don't see that in their post.
But either way, it's not a very good school list. Too many public OOS schools. OP, buy the MSAR and don't apply to any OOS public schools that have less than ~30% OOS students in their class.
I mis-read the title...

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the schools on your list matriculate very few internationals (UCLA). Some of them hardly consider OOS (UCD)!
At least one is a mission-based school (LLU).
I am a NEW YORK resident

Like what gyngyn said, get rid of schools which you do not fit in. TBH your list sucks. Get rid of state schools that matriculate very few OOS applicants (Vermont, UCD, UConn, UCLA, FIU, Florida State, Colorado). If you do not fit the mission of Loma Linda don't even bother. I would recommend:
Georgetown
George Washington
Saint Louis University
Wayne State
USC
VCU
EVMS
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Drexel
Thank you for this!!! Really helpful

I am a NEW YORK resident
In that case, most of the schools on your list are not targets for your state and stats.
There were 5 schools on your list where you had a fair to good chance at an interview. That is not usually enough for a good NY applicant. Is that your only MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
I am a pre med major studying in a top 50 US School. Im in my senior year have taken my MCAT's and have already applied to around 20 MD US Schools. I scored a 510 on my MCAT Chem125 CARS130 Bio127 and Psych128. I have a 3.8 GPA overall (psych major) and a 3.7 BCPM GPA. I am graduating a semester early as well. I want to go school this cycle and really don't want to take a gap year. So far Ive been rejected to 5 schools all of which I have been on par with my metrics. I know my letter is good, and I have good ECS shadowing, volunteering, research, and employment. With these rejections I'm thinking about how to continue as Im planning to get rejected everywhere so I'm debating my options now. I am planning to practice in the united states, so the two schools I am looking at (sackler and ross) pose some problems bc its difficult to get residencies in US after attending these schools. My other route would be DO, I did research and it really seems that DO is no different than MD, and I'm not one to be prideful and be upset with a DO title, so I am really leaning towards DO school. However, I know i did well in college and on my MCATs so i can't say i wouldn't be at least a little disappointed going to a DO school. Anyway Im just trying to decide what the best route is and get some input from other students. Basically as I see it my three options (assuming i get rejected everywhere this cycle is (Gap year, DO, or Ross / Saclker) What do you guys think?
You are fine for any DO school. Get some apps out NOW!!!

You might get some love from the SUNYs. NYMC should have been on your list.

Don't even think about Carib schools unless you like the idea < 50-50% odds of ever getting a residency (and going to school on a ship, literally).

His stats are okay, he could apply DO but I wouldn't think it is necessary. He could get some MD interviews, especially the SUNYs. Downstate hasn't said anything so far.

His stats are okay, he could apply DO but I wouldn't think it is necessary. He could get some MD interviews, especially the SUNYs. Downstate hasn't said anything so far.

Except that OP is shut out right now, and it's starting to get late in the MD cycle.

So lose a year trying to improve apps for MD school (and a year of clinician salary) or go for DO and be a doctor?

In that case, most of the schools on your list are not targets for your state and stats.
There were 5 schools on your list where you had a fair to good chance at an interview. That is not usually enough for a good NY applicant. Is that your only MCAT?
Yes that is my first and only MCAT

Except that OP is shut out right now, and it's starting to get late in the MD cycle.

So lose a year trying to improve apps for MD school (and a year of clinician salary) or go for DO and be a doctor?
This is exaclty my dilemma. Since there is no actual difference I’m leaning towards throwing some DO out there and just going that route. Just hope I don’t regret it later.

Reactions: 1 users
You are fine for any DO school. Get some apps out NOW!!!

You might get some love from the SUNYs. NYMC should have been on your list.

Don't even think about Carib schools unless you like the idea < 50-50% odds of ever getting a residency (and going to school on a ship, literally).
I applied NYMC and it is my top choice. I really hope to hear back from them. Sorry if I forgot it on the list I posted.

Sorry what do you mean by “shut out”?