MD/DO Mediocre Stats - Unsure what schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wayEyeseeit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying when apps open up in June this year. Here are my stats:

Demographic:
Age/Sex: 24 male
Ethnicity: white
SoR: Pennsylvania

Academics
School: Miami University of Ohio
Major: B.S. Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.558
sGPA: 3.253
MCAT: 35N

Research/EC
-worked on various research projects from 2nd semester sophomore year until I graduated (none of them published)
-accepted to undergraduate summer scholars program at my school where I conducted my own research project and presented the data as a poster presentation for Mid West & National American College of Sports Medicine conventions.
-have roughly 350 volunteer hours working in a pediatric research facility
-currently work in that same research facility as a temporary research assisstant (hoping to have some sort of publication in the works by the time I apply)
-went on a 2 week premed volunteer trip to Belize
-have about 20 hours shadowing a neonatologist, dermantologist, and the surgeon-in-chief at the children s hospital near me

I'm honestly not sure what schools I should be considering. I want to go MD and am unsure if I should include some DO schools too? Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest the low tier schools, but you might have some luck with the OH schools as well, and maybe even IU or U KY. You biggest hinderence will be that sGPA.

You're fine for any DO program.

I plan on applying when apps open up in June this year. Here are my stats:

Demographic:
Age/Sex: 24 male
Ethnicity: white
SoR: Pennsylvania

Academics
School: Miami University of Ohio
Major: B.S. Exercise Science
cGPA: 3.558
sGPA: 3.253
MCAT: 35N

Research/EC
-worked on various research projects from 2nd semester sophomore year until I graduated (none of them published)
-accepted to undergraduate summer scholars program at my school where I conducted my own research project and presented the data as a poster presentation for Mid West & National American College of Sports Medicine conventions.
-have roughly 350 volunteer hours working in a pediatric research facility
-currently work in that same research facility as a temporary research assisstant (hoping to have some sort of publication in the works by the time I apply)
-went on a 2 week premed volunteer trip to Belize
-have about 20 hours shadowing a neonatologist, dermantologist, and the surgeon-in-chief at the children s hospital near me

I'm honestly not sure what schools I should be considering. I want to go MD and am unsure if I should include some DO schools too? Any help would be great.

Yes, I know that is going to hurt me a lot. I'm not sure if this will be taken into account or not, but my father randomly passed away towards the end of my second semester freshman year (2 weeks before finals week), and I ended up bombing a chem test and doing poorly on all my finals. This resulted in me getting 2 C's (chem and calc 2), which are the only C's I got my entire academic career. Thanks for the response though!