MD-only Interview for MSTP apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skittles

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied so some schools MD-only because I'm not sure about getting into any of the MD/PhD programs. But when I asked my profs for letters, I told them I was applying for MD/PhD programs. So now, I'll be going to an interview at one of the MD-only schools and I think that they'll know I'm also applying to MD/PhD programs from reading my letters (though I don't know this for sure).

How did you guys answer a question about why you didn't apply to X school's MD/PhD program, or MD/PhD programs in general? Is it better to be honest? My reason for this particular school is that they didn't have a very strong research dept in my area of interest. Is there some way of saying this without sounding stuck up?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you have to be highly concerned about MD-only programs worrying about why you're applying to only some MD-PhD programs and some MD-only programs. The part you would have to be concerned about is when you go interview at MD-PhD program interviews since they will know that you are also applying to MD-only programs and might be questioning if you have a strong enough interest or commitment for an MD-PhD program. So the question might come up but if you can easily explain it away, then you shouldn't have any problems. A big concern for programs is making sure that their students will complete the full program.

Wait, how will the MD/PhD programs know that an applicant is also applying to MD-only programs? And isn't it something that they seem to automatically assume since the MD/PhD rejects all get put into the MD-only pool at most schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying to MSTP programs, my adviser told me that it was taboo to apply to some MD-only programs and some MD/PhD programs. However, I see people doing this all the time and they do just fine. Sure, applying to MD-only programs may be perceived by MD/PhD programs as wavering but all you have to do is tell them that MD-only is a backup plan and you would much rather do MD/PhD training. Also doing this allows an applicant to answer this very common question asked during MD/PhD interviews with relative ease, "If there was no MD/PhD programs, would you do MD or PhD only?" The correct answer to this (if you want to get into med school at least) is MD MD MD regardless of your future career motives. If you say PhD, you're hosed. But if you applied to some MD-only programs, in conjunction with dual degree programs, you appear better justified in saying, "MD" in response to the above question.

that's really interesting bc while ive been interviewing ive actually met current MST's who have said that they were choosing between PhD and MD/PhD. and i WAS surprised!! but maybe they masked this in the interview or maybe certain schools are more research oriented. ???

AndyMilonakis said:
"If there was no MD/PhD programs, would you do MD or PhD only?" The correct answer to this (if you want to get into med school at least) is MD MD MD regardless of your future career motives. If you say PhD, you're hosed. But if you applied to some MD-only programs, in conjunction with dual degree programs, you appear better justified in saying, "MD" in response to the above question.

AndyMilonakis said:
"If there was no MD/PhD programs, would you do MD or PhD only?" The correct answer to this (if you want to get into med school at least) is MD MD MD regardless of your future career motives. If you say PhD, you're hosed. But if you applied to some MD-only programs, in conjunction with dual degree programs, you appear better justified in saying, "MD" in response to the above question.

I've actually heard the opposite because MD-PhD's are supposed to do primarily research. I think it depends on the school though and their philosophy. But I do agree that md/phd is mostly for MD's who want to do research rather than the other way around.

To answer skittles question about how programs know whether you are applying to MD-Only programs. First of all, some schools will straight out ask you either in the interview or in the secondaries. Second of all I think at a certain point they have access to the AMCAS common application data which lists the schools you are applying to and whether you've designated MD/PhD or MD-only.