MD/PhD in Clinical Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed*26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I'm a current junior and will have been in my lab for 2 full years by the end of this summer. I've had my own project for 1.5 of those years, am defending my honors thesis next week, will be turning that into a 1st author pub (fingers crossed), and have won some awards from campus poster forums. I have won 2 summer fellowships and an international travel grant for the project. 3.75 cGPA / 3.65 sGPA / 519 MCAT. I'm planning to apply this summer.

Up until very recently I had never considered getting my MD/PhD. Then my PI brought it up I did some serious soul-searching. I've realized how much I've loved seeing my project through, and looking at my PI's life there are many things about having my own lab that appeal to me.

However. My research isn't traditional wet lab research: it has to do with biomechanics and is much more translational/clinical, where I get to see patients regularly. I have very little interest in working on bench research and in the future think I would swing more towards clinical. I don't necessarily want to continue with biomechanics.

To me it seems that there is little room for clinical research in MD/PhD programs, though my PI has been adamant that I'll be able to find what I want. I have identified some programs that offer PhDs in clinical or translational science (Mayo, Pitt, Mount Sinai), but I was hoping that someone on here could provide me with some advice or anecdotes.

Right now I'm toying with the idea of applying broadly to MD programs, with the idea that I can always complete a research fellowship in the future, and to MD/PhD programs at those schools that have clinical options to see where it gets me. What I'm most afraid of going the MD route is setting myself up for a long, expensive road without all of the mentorship and support an MD/PhD would give me.

Members don't see this ad.

@Fencer would be an excellent person to speak to about this.

First, make sure MD/PhD is want YOU need and want, not just what your PI thinks is a good idea. You can definitely do clinical research without a PhD, and the financial benefits of MD/PhD have been disproven -- you enter the workforce 4 years later than your MD peers, and this levels the financial playing field. Many MD programs offer the option to take a 5th research year where you could focus on clinical research, and the mentorship would definitely be there.

If you do decide to go the MD/PhD route, look for programs with Clinical and Translational Science Awards (CTSAs). UT San Antonio is a good example. You might also consider programs in clinical epidemiology, such as at Penn. I am doing my PhD in traditional (field) Epi, but when I interviewed there the program seemed very clinically oriented.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have any answers for you, but I feel your pain on the decision. I'm finishing up an epi masters and also do some clinical research stuff as part of my job. I've learned a ton in grad school, and I have plenty of coinician researchers around me who are succesful without the PhD. On the other hand, there is a ton more I'd like to learn and build up in my tool box. Some is fine to oearn on my own as it comes up, other stuff is better in a structured/mentored setting. If I wasnt starting so late in the game, I know I'd shoot for the MD/PhD route focusing, but not exclusively, on clinical and translation and epi type programs.

Good luck. I'm interested to hear others insights here.