MD/PhD not matching residency? Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The NRMP data only really tabulates whether students have matched at all in a specialty and it doesn't really say anything about the reputation of the programs to which the students are matching. The MD/PhD students that match could be matching at better programs than the 90% of MD students that match.

Both anecdotal information and tabulated lists of where students have matched from programs bear that out, to an extent. MD/PhD grads are over-represented at big name academic programs compared to MD-only grads from their schools. Top programs in some fields will selectively interview and match more MD/PhDs. You can tell this from looking at the lists of residents at programs. Of course, there will never be a linear regression that proves this, but casually perusing the lists can convince most people it's true.

But just as calvinNhobbes thinks I'm disagreeing with him, I'll agree with the bit about the bias. Most of what I described above could be due to confounding factors. MD/PhD students were selected from a more competitive pool when they were applying to MSTPs because they had higher MCAT (were better test takers), had good grades (did well in classes), had demonstrated interest in research, and had good LOR (were generally likable). Now, residency programs are selecting people for high step 1 (better test takers again), AOA (again people who do well in class), have done research, and are generally likable. It's no coincidence that that this selects the same people.

It also reminds me of one of my interviews, though. It was at a mid-to-lower tier academic rads program, probably the least prestigious place I interviewed. The guy was sitting in front of me with my packet which contained letters, my list of tons of publications, scores, and grades. My school doesn't give out AOA until January of your 4th year, but I had H on 5/7 core rotations at the time. This guy grilled me for 5 minutes on why I didn't know whether I was going to be AOA (which I ultimately was NOT). As I left the room he said,

"Just make sure you let the program know when you find out about AOA!"

Members don't see this ad.

It also reminds me of one of my interviews, though. It was at a mid-to-lower tier academic rads program, probably the least prestigious place I interviewed. The guy was sitting in front of me with my packet which contained letters, my list of tons of publications, scores, and grades. My school doesn't give out AOA until January of your 4th year, but I had H on 5/7 core rotations at the time. This guy grilled me for 5 minutes on why I didn't know whether I was going to be AOA (which I ultimately was NOT). As I left the room he said,

"Just make sure you let the program know when you find out about AOA!"

All this tells us is that there are plenty of simpletons/idiots in medicine, including ones in ultracompetitive specialties.

It also tells us that doing well on Step 1 and getting AOA counts for more than a PhD for many specialties if not all of them. Certainly the non-traditional ones, i.e. not IM/path/peds/neuro.

I am sure that even someone with AOA and a 260+ Step 1 from a top 10 med school does better even in the IM/peds/path match than someone who lacks AOA, has a 240 Step 1, went to a 30-40 rank school and has a PhD.

MS2s: if your school counts pre-clinical grades towards AOA, make every effort to do well in your courses so you don't have to perform quite as well in 3rd year, and focus on Step 1! Research prior to the PhD, other than that necessary to identify the best mentor/lab, is a time waste if it is detracting from your Step 1 performance.

Hey, you can disagree with me all you want, just don't tell me I'm wrong with only anecdotal here say to back it up, I mean are we scientists or what! :D

Yes, there are definitely more MD/PhDs at big name academic places, but once again, is this bias? The fact is, that is where MD/PhDs apply and choose to interview, even if those big name places are not even the best programs in the specialty (this is the case in ortho).

Also, like you said, there are specific programs that give preference to MD/PhDs but they are obvisouly not the majority or else the NRMP data would show that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, you can disagree with me all you want, just don't tell me I'm wrong with only anecdotal here say to back it up, I mean are we scientists or what! :D

Well, there is no hard data, which is why we are here in this forum speculating!

I'm also guessing there never will be any data. The closest you could probably get would be if you are involved in resident selection process at your institution, you would be able to see it firsthand. Even then, that would only be a case study, right.

I matched into an awesome academic program in a great location close to family and friends. Only way it could have worked out better is if it happened this way last year! ;)