MD/PhD with 32 MCAT, 3.7+ gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somuchwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now, I have a 3.71 gpa. Planning to go MD/PhD. Got my MCAT score back today and received a 32 (10/11/11). I will have 6+ years of research when I apply, plus volunteering and clinical. Is a retake worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your publication history like?

Unfortunately, nothing published in a real journal. I have a couple poster presentations. Also I am working on publishing a scientific review article in my school's journal. But other than that, nothing really. Also I should mention, is that I've jumped labs a lot. Senior year of high and freshman year were in different labs. Then, I was in the same lab from sophomore and junior years. Then I changed schools and will spend anoter 2 years research. It's fair to mention all my experiences have been different and I did this on purpose , b/c I wanted to experience different fields (cell biology, engineering, computer science, etc.). Then I have a research job set up after I graduate. I will also be doing research the next two summers. I hope to publish within this time frame.

Unfortunately, nothing published in a real journal. I have a couple poster presentations. Also I am working on publishing a scientific review article in my school's journal. But other than that, nothing really. Also I should mention, is that I've jumped labs a lot. Senior year of high and freshman year were in different labs. Then, I was in the same lab from sophomore and junior years. Then I changed schools and will spend anoter 2 years research. It's fair to mention all my experiences have been different and I did this on purpose , b/c I wanted to experience different fields (cell biology, engineering, computer science, etc.). Then I have a research job set up after I graduate. I will also be doing research the next two summers. I hope to publish within this time frame.
The other side of the coin is that you could be perceived as someone who lacks commitment or passion. Obviously you had reasons for switching labs but switching fields that often is unusual.

Hi - Current mstp here.

Saying you have six years of research experience doesn't mean much. What matters more is the depth of your research involvement and what you accomplished in that time. Pubs are great but not necessary.

The post graduate research experience will be critical in defining your research skills, provided it is a good experience. Once again, quality over quantity.

Your Mcat score is ok - a bit on the low side for mstp or mdphd. Md phd programs tend to recruit student with higher Mcat scores (34-35 usually). Retake might not be needed, but a 32 may not get you the number of interviews you want.

Your gpa is fine for most programs I feel...provided you have taken rigorous scientific coursework

Best of luck

The AAMC 2014 average is 35 with σ=3.5, so assuming a standard distribution (which could be dangerous considering your in the low end), ~70% were accepted with between a 32-39, so you're in the running for sure stats-wise. DDx: I think a publication would be more influential, get your average practice test up if your considering a retake before committing to that route, apply to lower MD/PhD, apply higher up MD. If you're dreaming elite, pump your numbers. Otherwise, numbers are only so much and start considering the rest of your app.

Maybe. I have a couple friends with similar stats that ended up at low tier MSTPs, and others who didn't even get an interview. Due to the smaller applicant pool, they really have time to scrutinize the hell out every app haha. The MCAT isn't a total deal breaker, but the GPA is also on the low side for MSTP too, so unless you have some killer research recs, it's a coin flip.

Try some non-MSTPs or schools that have a mix of MSTP and institution-funded MD/PhD (cut-offs usually around 30 on MCAT for those schools), as well as some MSTP-only funded. The non-MSTPs often have lower stats than MSTPs, and many have solid research programs (though some areas of research are limited at those schools--look for a good research match). Your stats are definitely competitive for those lower-tier schools, and if you apply broadly and try to match your research field of interest to the school's strengths, you'll probably have a couple interviews/offers. Many non-MSTP or recently-established programs look for students strong in an area of research that's big at their school (helps with future publication stats and making an argument when they apply for MSTP status). Send me a PM if you want to talk more :)

Are you URM by chance? I applied with the same stats but I am a URM female.

Edit: my GPA was a tad bit higher, but still

Do not retake. You can do plenty of research with the MD degree only.

As of right now, I have a 3.71 gpa. Planning to go MD/PhD. Got my MCAT score back today and received a 32 (10/11/11). I will have 6+ years of research when I apply, plus volunteering and clinical. Is a retake worth it?

Reactions: 1 user
Try some non-MSTPs or schools that have a mix of MSTP and institution-funded MD/PhD (cut-offs usually around 30 on MCAT for those schools), as well as some MSTP-only funded. The non-MSTPs often have lower stats than MSTPs, and many have solid research programs (though some areas of research are limited at those schools--look for a good research match). Your stats are definitely competitive for those lower-tier schools, and if you apply broadly and try to match your research field of interest to the school's strengths, you'll probably have a couple interviews/offers. Many non-MSTP or recently-established programs look for students strong in an area of research that's big at their school (helps with future publication stats and making an argument when they apply for MSTP status). Send me a PM if you want to talk more :)

What would you consider lower tier MSTP? Some of the optoins I've looked at are UMaryland, Emory, Alabama, URoc. Do you know the stats on those?

Are you URM by chance? I applied with the same stats but I am a URM female.

Edit: my GPA was a tad bit higher, but still

Nope, unfortunately. Asian male here.

Do not retake. You can do plenty of research with the MD degree only.

I'm not positive I agree with this sentiment.. It depends on OP. If OP has their heart set on academic medicine with an 80/20, an MD alone makes it a hard path. Not impossible, but much harder than it was for the prior generations.

I know a select few who had similar stats to the OP, but knew they didn't put their all into MCAT studying and retook. The key is before the retake they were averaging at least 3 points higher than their previous score, which is a must for a retake.

So, if: OP feels they *must* do the 80/20 with bench research AND doesn't want to do medicine alone AND is able to bring MCAT practice average up by at least 3 points, I would consider a retake.

If one of those is missing, just apply MD. Rare case, but it happens.

So says the student to the Faculty member.

It is still very possible for one to be an MD and land a PI position. If anything, MD still have advantages over PhDs.

I'm not positive I agree with this sentiment.. It depends on OP. If OP has their heart set on academic medicine with an 80/20, an MD alone makes it a hard path. Not impossible, but much harder than it was for the prior generations.

I know a select few who had similar stats to the OP, but knew they didn't put their all into MCAT studying and retook. The key is before the retake they were averaging at least 3 points higher than their previous score, which is a must for a retake.

So, if: OP feels they *must* do the 80/20 with bench research AND doesn't want to do medicine alone AND is able to bring MCAT practice average up by at least 3 points, I would consider a retake.

If one of those is missing, just apply MD. Rare case, but it happens.

So says the student to the Faculty member.

It is still very possible for one to be an MD and land a PI position. If anything, MD still have advantages over PhDs.

I agree MD's have advantages over PhD's. But that's not what is being compared. The MD only path to basic science/translational research involves both taking on substantial debt and allowing it to appreciate not only during medical training but also during the post doc/"fellowship" years you'll inevitably take post residency. I'm familiar with this path, and while it is indeed possible, the opportunity is narrowing and the number of people following it as a percentage is decreasing- for a variety of reasons. As a result, I am always impressed by the MD-only translational researchers I meet, it's certainly not the path of least resistance.

Also, harsh assumption that as an MSTP student of a few years I'm not involved with or educated about MSTP admissions. That being said, I have a great deal of respect for you and your participation on this forum, Goro, and always appreciate your feedback and perspective.

I agree with Goro. The bar to MDs getting a faculty position is "maybe a lot of debt". The bar to Ph.Ds getting a faculty position is "370 other people competing with you for one job, and all of them have better publications and are more charismatic and probably also better looking". If you do your MD at a state school, you probably won't even have a crippling amount of debt. UT HSC in my state is only $17k/year.