MD Residency Match Information from MD Students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder why nephrology is so low...
My guess is that many of their patients have lifestyle or behavioral health issues (overeating and obesity, alcoholism) that they don't want treatment for.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Including the APA psychology, which is what we are discussing in this portion of the thread. Psychology today is full of pharma ads as well. Follow the money, you don't think pharma is pushing this as well?

Of course they are. But I see it as a problem in healthcare as a whole, not just one or two sectors. To claim independence from industry special interests would just be gross ignorance or willful deception.

Of course they are. But I see it as a problem in healthcare as a whole, not just one or two sectors. To claim independence from industry special interests would just be gross ignorance or willful deception.
Who is doing that?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one yet in this thread. Explicitly anyway. But there is a lot of finger pointing in healthcare,and not a lot of looking in the mirror when it comes to industry influence.

You are really persevering on this. We were talking about alliant and argosy diluting your field and the power they wield to do so. Seems like you guys wanted more accreditation but it may not happen bc of groups like them. You are going off on a tangent. Start a new thread, its free! IMO

Well, the tangent started on a comment about RxP in Illinois. I was just clarifying a few things. There already is a thread about that one, which I mentioned. We could also start a new thread about industry money in healthcare if someone was so inclined.

The original post and the subtext to it was just so ridiculous no wonder it went off on a couple of tangents.

It is more competitive to get residency of your choice as there are more grads now including Caribbean schools and more medical schools opening up. The residency slots have not changed much as far as I know as they are regulated by the govt.

My guess is that many of their patients have lifestyle or behavioral health issues (overeating and obesity, alcoholism) that they don't want treatment for.

I asked the nephrologist I know and apparently the reasons have more to do with low pay considering how specialized you are, and always being on call because most hospitals only have one nephrologist.

It is more competitive to get residency of your choice as there are more grads now including Caribbean schools and more medical schools opening up. The residency slots have not changed much as far as I know as they are regulated by the govt.
The subtext was that "psychology's issue with professional schools cranking out grads and having non-accredited internships isn't so bad because the medical schools have the same problem." That is what I think is ridiculous. We now have about 30% of doctoral graduates attending non-accredited internships thanks to a few "diploma mill" types of businesses. I don't know enough about medical training to make a comparison, but I hope that you all do a better job fighting the lowering of standards that is rampant in society than we have.

edited: fixed the stat :oops:

Last edited:
We now have about 70% of doctoral graduates attending non-accredited internships thanks to a few "diploma mill" types of businesses.

70%?! I knew it was bad, but I'm not sure I knew it was that bad. Citation, please? Thanks.

70%?! I knew it was bad, but I'm not sure I knew it was that bad. Citation, please? Thanks.
http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2015Combined.aspx
Regarding the 4,247 students who registered for the 2015 APPIC Match:

• 2,716 (64.0%) matched to an accredited position (compared to 53.3% in 2012)
  • 853 (20.1%) matched to a non-accredited position (compared to 17.8% in 2012)
  • 678 (16.0%) did not match to a position (includes unmatched and withdrawn applicants) (compared to 28.9% in 2012)

I think it's actually closer to 70% that do attend accredited internships. Still, that's >30% either attending unaccredited internships or not matching. Also, we should remember that these numbers don't include all CAPIC students, some of whom may forego the APPIC process, so this would of course increase the proportion of folks attending non-accredited internships.

I think it's actually closer to 70% that do attend accredited internships. Still, that's >30% either attending unaccredited internships or not matching. Also, we should remember that these numbers don't include all CAPIC students, some of whom may forego the APPIC process, so this would of course increase the proportion of folks attending non-accredited internships.
I was mispeaking, I meant only 70% match to accredited. :sorry: