NYC Externship Match 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hfwexler

Reaction score
I am going through the NYC externship match process for the first time and am wondering if anyone has received information from sites regarding interviews yet, and if so, from where?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Completely normal to worry about the externship match process, though it's worth saying that everyone typically ends up with a match at some point.

I have completed interviews from the following sites (most notified around 1/23):
Columbia University Medical Center Child Neuropsychology - PROMISE Program
Lenox Hill Hospital Center for Attention and Learning
Child Study Center Assessment and Research Externship
BronxCare Hospital Assessment Internship

I received a rejection from the NYU Child Study Center (Pediatric Neuropsychology)

Others in my program have heard from:
Mt. Sinai Child Outpatient
JCCA Foster Home Services, Brooklyn and Bronx
Bellevue Child Inpatient and Outpatient
Columbia Children's Day Unit

Thank you so much for this insight! Is it typical for sites to reach out for interviews past February 8th? And, do you suggest reaching out to see if sites are still considering you after the Feb 8th date? Also, do places generally send out an email if they are not considering you for a position? Thank you!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am! I have heard back from a few places. How many interviews does each person generally get?

That depends on the person and what the site requires. I am first year and received 5 interviews, I have classmates who received none, and some who received 1-2 mostly because they targeted sites that wanted more experience. If you received less than 3 there was an email that you could reach out to sites to see if they are still accepting applicants. A lot depends on the applicant. I targeted counseling centers and sites that focus on psychotherapy rather than assessment as I also have a MHC masters and experience with their population.