MD school at UNTHSC/TCOM, Rev 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At the heart of this I can't help but feel the AOA is to blame.its a sad day when my future doctorate in osteopathy is less recognizable than a PA/DNP/ND/DC degree.

Thanks AOA. But hey go make sure to enjoy using constituient money to get sh1tfaced at this years omed.

And to all the ms3/ms4 students dont forget to brown nose and be willing to sleep with an atrending for those extra gunner points. #osteopathy

I wish all DO students and future DO students could view our AOA leaders at this event...especially before deciding to attend DO school. Absolutely embarrassing.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish all DO students and future DO students could view our AOA leaders at this event...especially before deciding to attend DO school. Absolutely embarrassing.

To be fair though our "MD counterparts" (whatever the hell that means) are no better. Look at the ABIM.

Medicine is the last remaining cash cow. Law school dried up long ago. Pharm school is on its way out. Medical school is the last big get-rich quick scheme around. Dont hate the player hate the game.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This attitude is still around? You need to take your inferiority complex back to the pre-med forum.
It is the reality of things. MD students have far more opportunities in the match, even with the same stats. There's nothing wrong with being a DO, but let's not pretend we have equal opportunities come Match Day.

I'm excited and terrified for students of the class of 2022 and beyond. A lot is going to change when we hit saturation.

If the incoming class is 2022 - it wouldn't affect class of 2020 because essentially we'd be done with M1&M2 right?

Are you an accepted student or an actual medical student, since the current MS-1 students graduate in 2019? It will still affect you, but not to the same extent as the class of 2022.

Honestly, I think with both NOVA & TCOM opening a MD school is a giant slap to the face of their DO students. It's basically like, you're equal professionally, but more of our resources are going to go to the MD students who will as such get better resources, have a smaller class size, have a stronger opportunity for research, and then also find themselves doing better in the match despite going to the same school.

Hate to say it, but this is the start of the falling sky. DO expansion will only take place in 3rd rate schools, the doctorate will progressively lose more and more respect as it becomes even more so the new Caribbean, and we will find that graduates of DO programs will progressively have poorer and worse outcomes in their matching.

In either case, I think this all will eventually pressure DO schools to start converting to LCME accreditation and becoming MD schools that have OMM as a part of their curriculum.

Honestly, I think with both NOVA & TCOM opening a MD school is a giant slap to the face of their DO students. It's basically like, you're equal professionally, but more of our resources are going to go to the MD students who will as such get better resources, have a smaller class size, have a stronger opportunity for research, and then also find themselves doing better in the match despite going to the same school.

Hate to say it, but this is the start of the falling sky. DO expansion will only take place in 3rd rate schools, the doctorate will progressively lose more and more respect as it becomes even more so the new Caribbean, and we will find that graduates of DO programs will progressively have poorer and worse outcomes in their matching.

In either case, I think this all will eventually pressure DO schools to start converting to LCME accreditation and becoming MD schools that have OMM as a part of their curriculum.

Isn't it sad that they things that would make a first-rate DO school are obvious, but schools would rather apply them to a brand new MD school rather than invest them in an established DO school?

Isn't it sad that they things that would make a first-rate DO school are obvious, but schools would rather apply them to a brand new MD school rather than invest them in an established DO school?

Because MD means recognition and pride for their institute. DO schools are neither huge producers of research, nor even as they commonly are advertised, huge providers of medical access for in need communities. The Osteopathic Medical field has been on a slow decline (Though I would say that this a decline towards conventional medicine) since the 60s and now it has reached its penultimate degradation with the merger of medical education.

The failure of the AOA to advertise properly the osteopathic medical field, the failure for us to be clearly distinct from osteopaths in other countries based on our degrees, and the failure of the osteopathic field to in anyway control quality and branching of campuses has lead me to believe that the profession is on its way to a series of complicated decisions.

Simply put, in the next decade DO schools will simply put be glorified FM/ Peds/ Low Tier IM factories ( Where 10% of the class will be able to specialize and the rest will basically both by emphasis and by limited options go work in PCP). They will simply replace Carib schools in that respect.

Because MD means recognition and pride for their institute. DO schools are neither huge producers of research, nor even as they commonly are advertised, huge providers of medical access for in need communities. The Osteopathic Medical field has been on a slow decline (Though I would say that this a decline towards conventional medicine) since the 60s and now it has reached its penultimate degradation with the merger of medical education.

The failure of the AOA to advertise properly the osteopathic medical field, the failure for us to be clearly distinct from osteopaths in other countries based on our degrees, and the failure of the osteopathic field to in anyway control quality and branching of campuses has lead me to believe that the profession is on its way to a series of complicated decisions.
Relatively average DO students already get in to ACGME neuro, psych, anesthesia, EM, pm&r, even gen surg, im and peds subspecialties like ID, rheum, nephro, pulm-crit, endo etc.

While some fields will be much harder to match, there are still lots of options besides primary care, even in the worst case scenario.

Besides, we all know that primary care is the best field in medicine
Simply put, in the next decade DO schools will simply put be glorified FM/ Peds/ Low Tier IM factories ( Where 10% of the class will be able to specialize and the rest will basically both by emphasis and by limited options go work in PCP). They will simply replace Carib schools in that respect.

Ugh - as a current student there are NOT enough resources at TCOM to add another 80-100 or however many MD students. Unless they have all afternoon lecture classes and morning lab times. And not enough parking either.

The hospitals in the area always wanted to make residency spots(at least from what i remember in my pre med days). This should spark hospitals like Cook's to develop a pediatric residency program (ACGME). they were apprehensive about doing that with just a DO presence. Take that anecdote as you will

The hospitals in the area always wanted to make residency spots(at least from what i remember in my pre med days). This should spark hospitals like Cook's to develop a pediatric residency program (ACGME). they were apprehensive about doing that with just a DO presence. Take that anecdote as you will
Why would they be apprehensive about starting DO programs?

Edit: I guess my question is, just because some DO programs are at random hospitals with a janky set up depending on private attending with varying levels of interest in teaching, doesn't mean they have to be. These hospitals you mention would have the resources to set up some really impressive AOA programs.

Why would they be apprehensive about starting DO programs?
Dunno. Keep in mind this was >7 years ago so memory is a little hazy. The attending I was following behind chalked it up to liabilty, funds, perception, willingness of faculty. Dunno how much of these reasons I buy, but I do think an ACGME program is easier to sell to the rest of the hospital for what ever shallow reason that is.

Relatively average DO students already get in to ACGME neuro, psych, anesthesia, EM, pm&r, even gen surg, im and peds subspecialties like ID, rheum, nephro, pulm-crit, endo etc.

While some fields will be much harder to match, there are still lots of options besides primary care, even in the worst case scenario.

Besides, we all know that primary care is the best field in medicine

Tbh my comment was more implicitly towards the notion that I want schools to better their DO programs if not convert them entirely to DO schools with LCME standards. I think DOs in the better schools will always match well enough. But the newer DO schools probably will be always mainly PC producing schools.