MD school, RN with 3.85 oGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT (7 Verbal)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoskonRN

Spiritoflove
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN family,

I am new to SDN, so I hope that I am in the right place. I just got my MCAT score in June and am anxious about my chances of getting in MD schools.

Some information about myself:

- I am a newly graduated nurse with a 3.85 overall GPA and 4.00 science GPA. Sadly, my MCAT score is not too impressive: 7 VR + 14 PS + 12 BS = 33. (My English is a second language. In fact, I came to the U.S. 4 years ago.)
- For the past 2 years, I have had intensive clinical training (more than 850 hours of hospital clinical). I spent 3 months interning full time in an ER.
- I have volunteered and shadowed a doctor, who is a general practitioner and pediatrician, for more than 200 hours.
- I did my senior nursing research in the ER. It was highly appreciated by the hospital and voted among the top 3 best research projects at my nursing school.
- I had 80 hours of teaching English as a Second Language and Math at the Food Bank in the past 8 months.
- I am a California resident.

My goal is to get in ONE medical school. I do not place priority on locations, school reputation, etc.
I am most concerned about my Verbal Reasoning, which is only 7. Do you think that medical schools will AUTOMATICALLY reject me because of my VR score? If there are such schools, do you have any recommendations on schools that accept a 7 on VR?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated as I am so lost right now :(
Thank you very much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is generally advised that you do not use your real picture for your profile. No one does that (except for some nurses).

A 7 will be a potential red flag. I don't think you will get in at top tier schools with a 7 in any given subject, even with the rest of your app which seems good but I am certainly no expert.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll do great. Apply. I bet you get interviews :D

It is generally advised that you do not use your real picture for your profile. No one does that (except for some nurses).

Thank you. I did change the profile picture.

A 7 will be a potential red flag. I don't think you will get in at top tier schools with a 7 in any given subject, even with the rest of your app which seems good but I am certainly no expert.
Thank you for your opinion. I am not concerned about getting into top tier schools. Whichever MD school admits me, I'm happy. Do you know of anyone who got in with a low Verbal score like that?

I don't, personally, but I don't know many people in med school and those that I do, I don't know their exact scores. Sorry. a 7 is definitely low. it doesn't, however, mean you can't get in to an MD school. your probability of matriculating is almost certainly higher at DO schools, though... have you considered DO?

I think with your story, you can wrangle some IIs. But best to ask for feedback from Admissions deans to see if you're competitive at their schools. Suuggest aiming for low-tier and new MD schools. Plus your state school, if any.

Hello SDN family,

I am new to SDN, so I hope that I am in the right place. I just got my MCAT score in June and am anxious about my chances of getting in MD schools.

Some information about myself:

- I am a newly graduated nurse with a 3.85 overall GPA and 4.00 science GPA. Sadly, my MCAT score is not too impressive: 7 VR + 14 PS + 12 BS = 33. (My English is a second language. In fact, I came to the U.S. 4 years ago.)
- For the past 2 years, I have had intensive clinical training (more than 850 hours of hospital clinical). I spent 3 months interning full time in an ER.
- I have volunteered and shadowed a doctor, who is a general practitioner and pediatrician, for more than 200 hours.
- I did my senior nursing research in the ER. It was highly appreciated by the hospital and voted among the top 3 best research projects at my nursing school.
- I had 80 hours of teaching English as a Second Language and Math at the Food Bank in the past 8 months.
- I am a California resident.

My goal is to get in ONE medical school. I do not place priority on locations, school reputation, etc.
I am most concerned about my Verbal Reasoning, which is only 7. Do you think that medical schools will AUTOMATICALLY reject me because of my VR score? If there are such schools, do you have any recommendations on schools that accept a 7 on VR?

Your reply will be greatly appreciated as I am so lost right now :(
Thank you very much!!!

Please keep us posted. I am in the same boat. I am a RN with one year experience. Taking the MCAT this Friday for the first time!….soooo very nervous! My science GPA is a 4.0 and my overall is 3.6….not sure how I will do.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if schools weren't understanding of the 7 given your ESL status and having been here only 4 years. I think you'll do very well in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously people, op is ESL and only has been here for 4 years. No matter how genius you are, 7 is good enough even for top tier. REMEMBER, SHE IS AN ESL AND HAS LEARNED ENGLISH ONLY FOR 4 YEARS. I reckon if she was a native speaker she could get at least an 11

dude calm your flow..OP is ESL. a 7 in verbal isn't that bad at all for ESL--and many adcoms will recognize this. His/her science scores are in the 90th + and like 99th percentile, has 4.0 sGPA and you are telling OP to apply DO. Wow, what makes you so qualified? Certainly not your 3.7 and 24 MCAT…stop giving so much advice on WAMC when your chances are best in the islands. :mad:

Okay, @ OP I think if you apply broadly to MD schools you will have multiple acceptances! Are you URM btw? If so you could maybe get into some top tiers, and be even more targeted with apps. Your MCAT science scores are amazing btw!:) I say apply to lots of mid tier private schools along with all your in state schools and you should have great success!! Don't listen to baxt1412 clearly he doesn't know whats up. I definitely feel you can get into multiple MD schools with your stats!!:thumbup:

dude calm your flow..OP is ESL. a 7 in verbal isn't that bad at all for ESL--and many adcoms will recognize this. His/her science scores are in the 90th + and like 99th percentile, has 4.0 sGPA and you are telling OP to apply DO. Wow, what makes you so qualified? Certainly not your 3.7 and 24 MCAT…stop giving so much advice on WAMC when your chances are best in the islands. :mad:

Okay, @ OP I think if you apply broadly to MD schools you will have multiple acceptances! Are you URM btw? If so you could maybe get into some top tiers, and be even more targeted with apps. Your MCAT science scores are amazing btw!:) I say apply to lots of mid tier private schools along with all your in state schools and you should have great success!! Don't listen to baxt1412 clearly he doesn't know whats up. I definitely feel you can get into multiple MD schools with your stats!!:thumbup:
Are you really that angry that you have to resort to personal attacks? You are most certainly the one who needs to "calm their flow". Oh no... you made fun of my stats, what ever shall I do???

You claim I am so wrong, however there is one of the most established members on this forum (on an ADCOM) agreeing with me (at the very least, partially agreeing).

Not to mention I never once said that OP couldn't get in at an MD school. I said that **top tier** MD schools might be out of the question. And why is it offensive to ask if a person has considered applying to DO schools? MD is not the only option, regardless of your scores.

Are you really that angry that you have to resort to personal attacks? You are most certainly the one who needs to "calm their flow". Oh no... you made fun of my stats, what ever shall I do???

You claim I am so wrong, however there is one of the most established members on this forum (on an ADCOM) agreeing with me (at the very least, partially agreeing).

Not to mention I never once said that OP couldn't get in at an MD school. I said that **top tier** MD schools might be out of the question. And why is it offensive to ask if a person has considered applying to DO schools? MD is not the only option, regardless of your scores.

I don't, personally, but I don't know many people in med school and those that I do, I don't know their exact scores. Sorry. a 7 is definitely low. it doesn't, however, mean you can't get in to an MD school. your probability of matriculating is almost certainly higher at DO schools, though... have you considered DO?

See above quote, you are essentially dismissing op's chances of allopathic school and urging them to apply DO; however, indirectly so--when I, MSAR, and AAMC data seems to dictate OP has quite strong chances at matriculating to an allo school. :confused: Yes, Goro agreed with you in a way--but his advice can be taken with a grain of salt as he is adcom at an osteopathic school, and op indicates they are interested in allopathic. I also feel his advice of applying to LOW TIER, and new MD programs is much too extreme and cautious; as OP's stats are actually quite strong. I wouldn't base my applications to allopathic schools off of advice by adcom of an osteo school; so what he says doesn't hold too much weight with me. What does hold weight is AAMC data (that is available), and the MSAR which all seem to point the OP has quite good chances for allopathic schools. And the ESL will carry weight...

See above quote, you are essentially dismissing op's chances of allopathic school and urging them to apply DO; however, indirectly so--when I, MSAR, and AAMC data seems to dictate OP has quite strong chances at matriculating to an allo school. :confused: Yes, Goro agreed with you in a way--but his advice can be taken with a grain of salt as he is adcom at an osteopathic school, and op indicates they are interested in allopathic. I also feel his advice of applying to LOW TIER, and new MD programs is much too extreme and cautious; as OP's stats are actually quite strong. I wouldn't base my applications to allopathic schools off of advice by adcom of an osteo school; so what he says doesn't hold too much weight with me. What does hold weight is AAMC data (that is available), and the MSAR which all seem to point the OP has quite good chances for allopathic schools. And the ESL will carry weight...
infer all you want from my posts.

I am with bambam92. IMHO, verbal absolutely does not represent future performance for ESL students. USMLE is all science, so watch out for the OP to wreck it despite "only" getting a 33 on the MCAT

Thank you SDN family. I applied to 52 schools all the way from Harvard to the very low tier schools and got 44 secondaries to write so far (not sure I should :D or :dead: lol). And that includes many of the top tier schools that screen applicants.
Thank you for all your opinions, advice and encouragement.
Will definitely keep you guys posted.

Please keep us posted. I am in the same boat. I am a RN with one year experience. Taking the MCAT this Friday for the first time!….soooo very nervous! My science GPA is a 4.0 and my overall is 3.6….not sure how I will do.
Hi :)
It's so nice to see someone an RN that wants to become an MD. At school, my teachers and classmates always discouraged people who did that. I felt so lonely at nursing school :( :( . I hope you did well on your MCAT. And sure, I'll keep you posted.