Med > Dental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things have improved in the last couple of posts, people are actually posting correct info about the two fields and not just their personal opinion about why not to do med/dent.

I think the biggest thing deferring me from dentistry was the fact that you are limited to the mouth / head and neck region. I’d like to do more so obviously I chose meds.

As far as the cons for meds goes (ie. Malpractice insurance, long hours, ect) a lot of these are true but don’t really bother me. I think the best way to know if you wanna do meds is to learn about its cons and then to see if it actually bothers you or not. I could very well go to a med forum and hear loads and loads of medical students / doctors in different fields telling me why general surgery isn’t a good residency to go into (because of on-call hours and pay afterwards) but none of it really bothers me because I love surgery and I don’t care about the fact that I have to pay loads of insurance and stuff because doing what you’re interested in is the most important thing (in my opinion)

Are any other students in the same position as me? Have any of you been reading the long list of reasons why not to do med or dent and then afterwards just think that nothing from that list would have ever changed your mind?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a story told to me by an oral surgeon I worked for a few years ago. By no means am I in any position to distinguish between different health care professions, I’m simply telling a story.
He said that early in his career he got a little tired of pulling 3rd molars all day long and wanted something a little more exciting. Already having his MD he went back and completed a general surgery residency. After several years as a general surgeon he got tired of performing appendectomies and hernia repairs all day long and went back to pulling teeth. He said that no matter what area of health care you perform, you'll end up focusing on one part of the body most of the time anyway. He said as an oral surgeon he at least made more money and had more free time.

bcoleman said:
My father in law is an MD who spends his time with the liver...you can't tell me the liver is all that much more exciting than the teeth. Basically, what I'm getting at is that if you spend enough time around dentistry, teeth become more exciting than you'd have thought.
wise words. you hit home with this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
This is just my insight into these matters. To the first comment (as someone who has done both med and dental school), it is much easier getting a medical license than a dental license in general. There are regional dental board exams which are slowly becoming more accepted across state lines, but many states still requre you to take their own clinical board exams to get a license. Many of these seem to be based on the teachings of the dental schools of that particular state. In other words, a guy in practice for 20 years who decides to move to California, for example, still has to pass the clinical exam which asks that dentist to perfom procedures that you simply do not really do in private practice and are really specific to the dental schools. My friends that have taken the Florida exam relate the same experience. In contrast, to get a medical license you simply have to show your medical degree and residency training, and maybe take a jurisprudence exam. Dental licenses seem to be less open to reciprocity between states.

That depends on what states you are referring to. If you are speaking in regards to Florida, California and Nevada then yes it is difficult to get licensed there coming from another state. However the idea that these agreements are "slowly becoming more accepted across state lines" is a major understatement. Only 11 states do not participate in some type of regional licensing exam. The other 39 states participate in a regional board exam which allows one to be licensed in many states. For example,passing the Western Regional Examining Board(WREB) allows a dentist to be licensed in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. No such exams exist for physicians in which a doctor can be licensed to practice medicine in 10 or more states.And this is but one example of this. There are other exams like the NERB or the North East Regional Board of Dental Exams which include Connecticut, Washington DC, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia. The SRTA (Southern Regional Testing Agency)and the CRTDS (Central Regional Dental Testing Services) are examples of other agreements. With the exception of 11 states, there is far more reciprocity in dentistry than medicine.

As for the second comment concering debt, I think the poster was referring to the funds required to start a dental practice. There are huge financial obligations involving all the equipment and materials required to run a dental office. Overhead alone usually runs in the 60-70% range. In other words, for a dentist to net $200,000 he has to gross over $600,000. Medical practices usually have much less overhead, but there is a big range of variability depending on the specialty.

I figured that's what he was getting at. Regardless, physicians pay for start up costs too especially when they are running their own practice or sharing a practice with other physicians. Dentists may have more overhead but they generate more revenue. Medical practices do not generate the same level of revenue as dentat practices. If you don't believe, do a search on Google and compare existing practices for sale between dental and medical practices. Rarely, will you hear of a physician's practice topping 600,000 in revenue. However, it is not uncommon for a dental practice to gross in excess of 600K. Established oral surgeons, endodontists and general dentists gross close to 1 million in revenue per year. And the superstars gross close to 2 million per year.

However, I will admit that physicians have the luxury of joining private groups. These are not chains like Western Dental but groups of 3 or more physicians who share expenses and hire an office manager or GM to run their corporation or partnership. A resident physician is usually joins a group as opposed to going into solo practice. It's rare that you will see 4th year dental student being hired by a group of private dentists, and being paid a salary comparable to dentists who own their practice. In medicine, groups usually pay competitive salaries. A physican fresh out of residency can join a group and make partner in a year or two and thus be paid a competitive salary without worrying about starting or running a practice. And by competitive salary, we are talking about 125K to 400K depending on the field. As a dentist, you really have no choice but to start your own practice in most cases, if you want to earn significantly more than an associate. So I agree somewhat that a dentist who aspires to earn more than the 70-110 associatate income will have no choice but to start their own practice.

do we really need lawyers?

AUG2UAG said:
I just got through watching "Road to Perdition"-- what a great and sad movie.... I think "Ransom" is now my favorite movie of all time. Anyways, when I flipped the tv to normal mode there was a commercial: it was for Bryman college and the girl was selling this service to her friend by saying "it sure does beat flipping burgers". If you don't know, Bryman college teaches you to do surgery tech or something like that and it takes 2 years to graduate... I was thinking "Wow!! Dental school is 4 years... that sure as hell beats flipping burgers!!!!!" :D I mean for 2 more extra years than surgery tech, or whatever, and I'll be in a very very rewarding profession... I feel like I did when I was 17 and chose dentistry as a career!!! :D
yeah...not counting your four years of undergrad before dental school... :eek:

jessUMD said:
yeah...not counting your four years of undergrad before dental school... :eek:

Undergrad is as enjoyable as you make it.

coolness said:
With all due respect, it's hard for me to imagine that dental school is harder than medical school. If it's true that dental students take the same courses as medical students during the first two years, medical students have to rotate through various specialties during their 3rd and 4th years. Then, they have to go through residencies. Overall, although dentists have to also know how the human body functions, besides the mouth region, they do not have to know in detail in comparison to a physician.

That's nice, but you'd be wrong. Try going to UCLA or any other high level school and compare how hard the students are working and how much free time they have. UCLA dent is harder than the Med, at least for the first 2 years.

You're right, though: it shouldn't be that way when you think about it. At Harvard, for example, puts the two together, equally, the way it should be. However, dental school teachers and deans are often filled with an inferiority complex to doctors. You see, in the past, those with low grades often DID become dentists because they couldn't make it into med school. So those dent teachers often still have that complex. However, these days, dental school is hard enough to get into that there isn't that intelligence disparity, and kids today choose med or dent.

JDAD said:
Its the same thing over and over...It seems like a business, and not an office to provide care.
I agree, but guesswhat? Medicine is the same thing. Med school has taught me that most doctors see the same things over and over again. Ob/gyns see, well, you know. Endocrinologist see out of control diabetics. If you go into ER medicine, be prepared to never see an emergency. At least surgeons actually fix problems, but don't think they don't see the same thing over and over again. Because a relatively small group of people in America are dependent on doctors and visit them all the time, you're going to deal with the same **** all the time.

You'll see new stuff and do some routine check-up, just like dentists, but you're also going to see crazy patients that wear you out. Before long, you realize you aren't "helping" that many people. You're treating a lot of symptomatic whiners symptomatically.

The monotony of it all converts most doc/dentists into businessmen pretty quick. Doctors have lots of courses in coding and billing-it's not unique to dentistry.

Here, straight from "the literature" (b/c when anyone references "the literature" they win):

"10% of primary care patients account for 1/3 of primary care visits, 1/2 of hospital stays, 1/2 of specialty visits, and 1/4 of prescriptions. These high utilizers had a mean of eight to nine medically unexplained symptoms over the course of their lives."

"Eight common physical complaints (fatigue, backache, headache, dizziness, chest pain, dyspnea, abdominal pain, and anxiety) account for >80 million visits annually in the USA."

ku06 said:
Why can't someone in this thread say that they think dentistry is boring.
Dentistry is boring. So is medicine, family medicine, peds, ob/gyn, psychiatry, and ophthomology Happy?

aero047 said:
I'm torn between Dentistry and Medicine.
Don't be. They're both jobs. They both get old. They both make plenty of money. Do what seems the least boring. For me it was oral surgery.

If anyone thinks their job is going to bring "satisfaction"...excuse me I just threw up a little in my mouth...let me know how it works out for you. Start looking for a divorce attorney and a rehab center while you're still young.

mike3kgt said:
Now, my question is, does having an MD open an OMFS up to more liability? FL for example... we know voters just passed a three-strikes-and-you're-out medical liability amendment for physicians only (dentists are excluded). In this case, having a MD would be grouping a dentist under this provision.
No, because oral surgeons practice under their dental license. If they have a MD and pay for the license it's only for window dressing. Legally, they're governed by dental, not medical, laws.

Someone must have been bored to dig up this old post...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just about to say that.
I've had more than my fill of these threads lately.

Wow, this is old. I didn't notice when I posted. I spent today doing anything I could to avoid studying for my family practice exam in the morning. So yeah, I was bored.

I would rather stick my fingers in someone's mouth than his ass any day.

I always get a kick out of people saying, "Eeeww gross, you want to look at people's mouths all day?!" Teeth are beautiful, and if they aren't I'll make 'em beautiful!

Physicians have to literally probe the most disgusting caverns of the human body, including the mouth! Jeez, the mouth is Disneyland compared to the rectum. Think about the dermatologist and all the nasty stuff they see. Urology? Are you kidding? Do I need to say anymore? OB/GYN? Good lord. The only people that think this is glamorous are pre-pubertal boys who don't know about yeast infections. And the general surgeon? Woohoo rectal fissure repairs! If I was a physician I'd do radiology.

I was very interested in medicine and still am. I decided to attend dental school because of several reasons. While applying to medical schools, I shadowed an oral surgeon and absolutely loved the procedures and profession. I grew up in a medical family with a father as an ER doc, so I know the in's and out's of working nights, holidays, and the sacrifices these guys commit to. I was accepted to medecal school and dental school within a month of each other, applying in the same cycle, despite what many people say not to do... which personally i believe is a bunch of crap- if you have a good reason. I chose dentistry because I want to be an oral surgeon, and many people have said i'm nuts for going the dental direction if I want to do surgery because of how competitive residencies are, but I know specifically what I want to do. So, i'm shooting for the gusto. The hours, lifestyle, and personal interest have culminated a path towards dental. It was a very hard decision to make, after having medical school as a goal for all of my undergrad career. The only thing that was holding me back from attending dental was I was scared I wouldn't get into the residency I wanted. Then one of the docs gave me a quote about not letting fear determine your path... made the decision soon after.

stoshic said:
... Then one of the docs gave me a quote about not letting fear determine your path... made the decision soon after.
out of curiosity, what was the quote?

Aero047 said:
Did anyone of you guys first enter college with the intent of going into medicine and then switch it to dentistry? What made you do so?

I am getting so sick of these ******s asking stupid questions and watering down the validity of this network. It reminds me of a bunch of kids writing notes on bubble gum paper and passing them in class. Why did you pick dentistry? Why did the sun rise? Start using your brain and ask some decent questions that don't require strangers making your life decisions for you. Better yet go out and live in the real world awhile, get some experience and then you'll realize how f...... ******ed some of these questions sound. Sorry to jump all over you but the general questions some people ask here are killing this site.

SLIMDEETS said:
I am getting so sick of these ******s asking stupid questions and watering down the validity of this network. It reminds me of a bunch of kids writing notes on bubble gum paper and passing them in class. Why did you pick dentistry? Why did the sun rise? Start using your brain and ask some decent questions that don't require strangers making your life decisions for you. Better yet go out and live in the real world awhile, get some experience and then you'll realize how f...... ******ed some of these questions sound. Sorry to jump all over you but the general questions some people ask here are killing this site.
A-1 advice from a Star Wars geek. Did you wear that costume to the premier? I like what you've done with your mom's basement.

tx oms said:
A-1 advice from a Star Wars geek. Did you wear that costume to the premier? I like what you've done with your mom's basement.

No I wore my Darth Mog costume to the premier and thats my Grandma's house. Thanks Hulk maybe we can be friends. I hear you have a 50 sided die from the marvel role playing game, lets meet and I'll use my force powers to jam it up your green a**.

Aero047 said:
Did anyone of you guys first enter college with the intent of going into medicine and then switch it to dentistry? What made you do so?

NO

I did. That is only because the guy that inspired me to be a doctor was an MD. But while in college I read a book on dentistry and thought the lifestyle was better and I still get to be a doctor. To me a doctor is a doctor, dentistry is just my specialty, and I love it.

Have you guys ever seen this movie (I think it's from the 80s) where there's this group of nerdly college guys who form their own fraternity, and the dean of the college wants to ruin them? One guy is pre-med and he offers his expertise in preparation for their academic court hearing. Some kid says, "I thought you were pre-med?" He says, "What's the difference?" So funny! God I wish I could remember the name of that movie.

Anyway, medicine and law are the default careers for millions of college students. Johnny says, "I hate chemistry, I think I'll goto law school." Susie says, "I like bio, I'm going pre-med!" I actually went through every major at UCSB and considered each on as a viable option. And yeah I was a pre-med dork too. And then I was a pre-law doofus. And then I was Spanish. And then Art. And then pre-med again. And last philosophy.

At the time I thought dentistry was a joke like many pre-meds. Then I did grad school and starting hanging out with dental students. I learned more about it and discovered it offered everything I wanted in my life. I feel really fortunate to have found that out. I might have been happy as a physician but not as much as in dentistry.

As for starting out pre-med and switching to something else in college...that's what happens to probably 90% of college students! Not all of us were lucky enough to have parents who were dentists. How are we supposed to know that dentistry is a great profession? Naturally people are enamored by medicine and law. Just watch TV and you'll see why: ER, The Practice, Scrubs, Law & Order, The House, and a dozen more. Popular media is extremely influential. The increase in ER residency applications directly parallels that of the TV show ER.

Don't bag on somebody because they decided later than you what route they wanted to take. There's nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, if the person is confused and just wants a career that will provide a nice living, they should be steered in a direction that will provide the experience necessary to make an informed decision.

drhobie7 said:
Have you guys ever seen this movie (I think it's from the 80s) where there's this group of nerdly college guys who form their own fraternity, and the dean of the college wants to ruin them? One guy is pre-med and he offers his expertise in preparation for their academic court hearing. Some kid says, "I thought you were pre-med?" He says, "What's the difference?" So funny! God I wish I could remember the name of that movie.

National Lampoon's Animal House.

IMO it's still the best college movie of all time.

drhobie7 said:

Animal House

Oops I didn't see there was a next page already with the answer.

I thought that movie was Revenge of the Nerds. Whatever it was...it was funny as hell.

aphistis said:
I was thinking Revenge too. But I'm horrible at identifying movies.
is the answer Dr. Green from Revenge of the Nerds? maybe animal house, where jim belushi drinks coke from a jd bottle... freakin' genius :laugh:

I am a predent. And it does bother me that the general population perceives MD's to be much more prestigious than DDS. I still think that dentistry is the most perfect profession for me, but i wish it were more prestigious. Especially since dental students are taking the same classes as the med students at columbia or harvard, so they're taking better quality of classes than the students at some 2nd tier medschol. But MD's are regarded to be as prestigious as Ph.D's because some of them work in basic science research, like neuroscience for example. So their gradschool education spreads on all the MD's. But very few DDS work in research, so people think of dental school as trade school.

bor0000 said:
I am a predent. And it does bother me that the general population perceives MD's to be much more prestigious than DDS. I still think that dentistry is the most perfect profession for me, but i wish it were more prestigious. Especially since dental students are taking the same classes as the med students at columbia or harvard, so they're taking better quality of classes than the students at some 2nd tier medschol. But MD's are regarded to be as prestigious as Ph.D's because some of them work in basic science research, like neuroscience for example. So their gradschool education spreads on all the MD's. But very few DDS work in research, so people think of dental school as trade school.

It depends on your point of view (as does everything):

Most dentists (80%) practice right after completing 4-years of dental school. Total post-college education: 4 years

Most physicians complete a 3 - 5+ year residency after 4-years of medical school. Total post-college education: 7 - 9+ years

Most basic science PhDs complete a 2-year post-doctoral fellowship after 5-7 years of graduate school. Total post-college education: 7 - 9 years

Finally, most people who choose dentistry (assuming they have a choice and aren't just applying as a "backup plan") do so because of the lifestyle (dollars made/time worked). Therefore, the population of dental students in less likely to pursue academic career paths (research, teaching) because these paths do not typically lead to $$$ or additional free time (in fact, you make less money and work more).

Dentistry, from an academic view (education, training, research) is far less prestigious.

Dentistry, from a financial view, is as prestigious.

In the end, who cares? There are very few people who have interesting jobs, and dentistry will be a job for you, just like computer programming is a job for your neighbor, and prostitution is a job for the girl on the corner.

misc116iv.jpg

Hmm I don't know about that, there are plenty of medical specialties that earn more than half of million a year. Can you provide any links which state that dentistry even gets half of this? No stories of "I know of a dentist that makes 1 million" cause I know of physicians making 5 million. Facts is all we have people. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics dentists earn $123,000. That is a salaried position. But so is the position that I posted. Owning your own business will always leave you with more, and over half of physicians own or are part of a group practice ownership.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos072.htm

Many people need to get informed about the real financial issues of medicine. Unfortunately, many individuals get fooled into thinking that dentistry pays more. It is one of the biggests reasons for huge job dis-satisfaction within dentistry. Poor shmucks.

Excellent opportunity in TX
Company Name: Regional Radiologists
Title: Excellent opportunity in TX
Brief Description: full time radiologist Starting salary 600K
Full Description: Group of 5 radiologists practicing in south TX is actively seeking for a full time radiologist. Applicant must be able to cover all modalities. MSK or Body Imaging fellowship is a plus! We cover one 125 bed hospital and three imaging centers with state of the art equipment ( 5 MRs units, 5 CTs, PET...PACS, voice recognition) Night hawk coverage.... $600K salary garanty for 1 yr with 1-yr partnership tract. If interested e-mail a copy of your CV to our officie manager, Rosie at [email protected]
Reply e-mail: Reply to this posting

Ad Submitted On: 6/10/2005
Profession: Radiologist
Position: Partnership Track
SubSpecialities: Women's Imaging, Neuroradiology, Pediatric Imaging, Musculoskeletal Imaging, Abdominal-genitourinary, Abdominal-gastrointestinal, Diagnostic, Mammography, Nuclear Medicine
Modalities: CT, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, General, Fluoroscopy

http://www.auntminnie.com/index.asp?sec=mkt&sub=emp&pag=adv&item_id=27297

Job Looking for Anesthesiologist REFERENCE ID: 32049 (TEXAS)
Salary & Income Information
Estimated Minimum Annual Income Greater than $400,000
Estimated Maximum Annual Income Greater than $400,000

Is the compensation paid as an Employee or Independent Contractor? Independent Contractor (IRS form 1099)
Amount of Sign-on Bonus Other
Other: negotiable
Sign-on Bonus commitment Other
Malpractice Paid? No
Amount of Malpractice Coverage 200000/600000
Does this job provide Salary Income from anesthesia group? Yes
Does this job provide Percentage Income from anesthesia group? No
Does this job provide Income as a partner in a group practice? No
Does this job provide Income from fee-for-service individual practice? No
Does this job provide Salary from Hospital as an employee? No
Does this job provide Other Income from Hospital as an employee? No
Weeks Paid Vacation 6
Will Interview Expenses be Paid? yes
http://www.gaswork.com/cgi-bin/ipbltview.exe?PostIDNum=32049

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
Hmm I don't know about that, there are plenty of medical specialties that earn more than half of million a year. Can you provide any links which state that dentistry even gets half of this? No stories of "I know of a dentist that makes 1 million" cause I know of physicians making 5 million. Facts is all we have people. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics dentists earn $123,000. That is a salaried position. But so is the position that I posted. Owning your own business will always leave you with more, and over half of physicians own or are part of a group practice ownership.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos072.htm[...dex.asp?sec=mkt&sub=emp&pag=adv&item_id=27297

Job Looking for Anesthesiologist REFERENCE ID: 32049 (TEXAS)
Salary & Income Information
Estimated Minimum Annual Income Greater than $400,000
Estimated Maximum Annual Income Greater than $400,000

Is the compensation paid as an Employee or Independent Contractor? Independent Contractor (IRS form 1099)
Amount of Sign-on Bonus Other
Sign-on Bonus commitment Other
Malpractice Paid? No
Amount of Malpractice Coverage 200000/600000
Does this job provide Salary Income from anesthesia group? Yes
Does this job provide Percentage Income from anesthesia group? No
Does this job provide Income as a partner in a group practice? No
Does this job provide Income from fee-for-service individual practice? No
Does this job provide Salary from Hospital as an employee? No
Does this job provide Other Income from Hospital as an employee? No
Weeks Paid Vacation 6
Will Interview Expenses be Paid? yes
http://www.gaswork.com/cgi-bin/ipbltview.exe?PostIDNum=32049

it took you 3 weeks to troll for this, the only ad all pre-pubescent meds bring up, you sad little man.

oh make sure not to forget about radiologists making 600K, starting salary!!! Oh and 12 weeks vacation, to spend it!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: Life is good. :laugh:

GQ1 said:
it took you 3 weeks to troll for this, the only ad all pre-pubescent meds bring up, you sad little man.

Damn it guys. If you don't have anything interesting to add other than just bs then would you kindly shove it?! and
tx oms said:

what's wrong, its not fun when someone presents an opposing view? :confused: Let's converse about this.
bump :)

lnn2 said:
Damn it guys. If you don't have anything interesting to add other than just bs then would you kindly shove it?! and

aphistis said:
Gavin? Kill? Please?

Ah aphistis, aphistis, aphistis...are you not the biggest proponent that dentistry has huge salaries, even more so than medicine. Could you please post links to verify this. I want to see real job offers, "salaried positions" just as I have posted over 400-600K. :rolleyes:

Furthermore, we all know that doctors in private practice will make even more than the above figures.

You know, simply saying that dentists make more money doesn't make it so. ;)

And just for the record, nobody has attacked anyone on this thread, I just want to see some evidence that backs up what you have to say. It seems like you don't have that evidence, since you are begging for this thread to be closed ;)

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
Ah aphistis, aphistis, aphistis...are you not the biggest proponent that dentistry has huge salaries, even more so than medicine. Could you please post links to verify this. I want to see real job offers, "salaried positions" just as I have posted over 400-600K. :rolleyes:

First of all, these "salaried positions" that you speak of are usually in the middle of nowhere...

My husband is an anesthesiologist and is currently doing a pain fellowship.
He said that these positions are usually in rural areas where you will be the go-to person for anything even remotely related to your specialty. In addition, these practices often hire people for 2-year committments with restrictive covenants. There is VERY little autonomy - you work when they want.

On an average income basis, I'm sure that anesthesiologists and radiologists are making more than most dentists (with the possible exception of oral surgeons and endodontists). But you have to remember that these physicians are working almost TWICE as many hours per week (the average physician works around 60 hrs/week, the average dentist around 32/wk), so it would make sense that their incomes are higher.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:

Furthermore, we all know that doctors in private practice will make even more than the above figures.

You know, simply saying that dentists make more money doesn't make it so. ;)

And just for the record, nobody has attacked anyone on this thread, I just want to see some evidence that backs up what you have to say. It seems like you don't have that evidence, since you are begging for this thread to be closed ;)
That's a lot of rebuttal for three words that were completely unrelated to the issue in the first place. Go become a radiologist already and quit spoiling for fights here.

For the sake of reiteration: Gavin? Kill? Please?

First off: Steve Urkel does nothing but troll on these boards.

But I will agree with him that if money is your motivation, medicine is a much better choice than dentistry. You are deluded if you think otherwise. I'm not saying dentists don't make a lot of money, but there is a lot more opportunity to make the really big bucks in medicine.

And the idea that you don't want to do medicine because the residency makes it too long is self-delusion as well. When you graduate from dental school you are going to be working long hours, constantly playing catch up to learn how to do your job in the real world, and making a very meager salary compared to what a practice owner makes ----- pretty much the same things your medical counterparts are doing in their residencies. And a good percentage of us will actually end up doing residencies WITHOUT pay... or worse yet - paying to attend. I can't think of a much crappier deal than that. :laugh:

The bottom line is do dentistry because it interests you. If you after the money or just undecided, medicine might be a better fit.

Hope you all don't think I've jumped ship. I love dentistry and wouldn't do anything else, but when the truth is staring you right in the face, it's hard to deny it.

Dr. Steve Urkel said:
H
Excellent opportunity in TX
Company Name: Regional Radiologists
Title: Excellent opportunity in TX
Brief Description: full time radiologist Starting salary 600K
Full Description: Group of 5 radiologists practicing in south TX is actively seeking for a full time radiologist. Applicant must be able to cover all modalities. MSK or Body Imaging fellowship is a plus! We cover one 125 bed hospital and three imaging centers with state of the art equipment ( 5 MRs units, 5 CTs, PET...PACS, voice recognition) Night hawk coverage.... $600K salary garanty for 1 yr with 1-yr partnership tract. If interested e-mail a copy of your CV to our officie manager, Rosie at [email protected]
Reply e-mail: Reply to this posting
One important part is left out here...you're just a f'in radiologist.

just do whatever that makes you feel important or meaningful whether it's making $, save life, earn respects, have lots of vacation, do research etc... guess what? I would go crazy if there is no garbage man or janitor just as there is no dentist or physician in this world. Every profession deserves a pad on the back if it contributes something positive to the society. At some of point of the earthly life time, your and my life will end up with the same conclusion anyways. :)

Smooth Operater said:
just do whatever that makes you feel important or meaningful whether it's making $, save life, earn respects, have lots of vacation, do research etc... guess what? I would go crazy if there is no garbage man or janitor just as there is no dentist or physician in this world. Every profession deserves a pad on the back if it contributes something positive to the society. At some of point of the earthly life time, your and my life will end up with the same conclusion anyways. :)
This has been another installment of Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy.... :rolleyes:

Urkel, what are you doing here? Your comments are meaningless. I'm surprised to see that it appears some medical school was duped into accepting you. God have mercy on your patients because it's pretty clear you don't give a damn about them, just their hard earned money. Your greed is nauseating and an insult to your peers who are truly dedicated to this profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.