Med school emailing about MCAT/Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHoge25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I received an email from a medical school saying that they got my MCAT score (assuming because URM) and sent me a bunch of information on their school/diversity. Are these things that get sent out to pretty much everyone or is it something I should email the school about get more information (and maybe apply if positive feedback)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a URM and you think it would be worth it to you personally, then do so.

It's an OOS public school that has a 10% interview rate for OOS, I'm assuming many have ties though.

Hello,

So I received an email from a medical school saying that they got my MCAT score (assuming because URM) and sent me a bunch of information on their school/diversity. Are these things that get sent out to pretty much everyone or is it something I should email the school about get more information (and maybe apply if positive feedback)?

Thanks!

Yeah I got a few earlier in the cycle. I would say definitely email them and get more information. I think some schools send them just to say they embrace diversity. I got one from St. Louis but, I knew my MCAT was below their range(waited til December before I withdrew but never got an II invite.) There were other schools that sent me stuff and I was right in their range. The application cycle is such a crapshoot it's hard to predict which school will give you any love. Definitely look into it though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a similar email from Feinberg School of Medicine. The email sounded very optimistic and that I was sure to get an interview at the very least. They rejected my application pre-interview. I did receive a similar email from Cleveland Clinic and that ultimately became an interview. Moral of the story is: do some research and see if you can be a competitive applicant for these schools.

Greetings from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois!

We would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with our school in hopes that you will consider applying. Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine (NU FSM) is consistently regarded as a leading academic medical center in the Midwest and as one of the top 20 schools of medicine in the United States. At NU FSM, diversity and inclusion matter. For our graduating class of 2015, 20% were from under-represented minority groups but we are not content. The institution has now elevated leadership in Diversity and Inclusion to the highest tier of governance for the medical school and is redoubling its efforts to build an environment that is even more receptive to diversity and inclusion.

After carefully sorting through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry from the AAMC, we have selected you as a potentially competitive applicant based on your MCAT score. Congratulations on your academic success. We do not have any cutoffs for consideration at Feinberg; in general, if your cumulative GPA is 3.2 or better and your average MCAT scores are 28+ (or 502+ using new MCAT), we confidently encourage you to apply. Understanding that the application process is expensive, we are also willing to waive the secondary fee to reduce the cost to you for exploring Feinberg further – just email your name and AMCAS ID# to [email protected] and mention this letter. (Please note it takes about 5 days to process the waiver, so request early to avoid delays.)

Feinberg’s selection committee understands that test scores alone don’t make great doctors and scientists; the committee considers many factors when admitting students including research and scholarly work, community service, leadership endeavors, personal characteristics, and academic achievement. We believe that a diverse class creates an enriching educational environment that better prepares students to become successful physicians. To this end, diversity is one of many selection factors considered holistically throughout the initial review, supplemental application, interview and selection. More information can be found at: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/admissions/index.html. If you would like to discuss your application prior to applying, please feel free to contact us: Office of Diversity at 312-503-0461 or email at[email protected].

Our campus is located in the heart of downtown Chicago - one block from Lake Michigan to the east and one block from the Magnificent Mile to the west. One of the most diverse cities in the nation comprising 77 distinct neighborhoods, Chicago is home to a rich mix of racial, ethnic, and faith-based communities from all over the world. Feinberg students are active in many community clinics in Chinatown, North Lawndale, Devon, Austin, Humboldt and more. Students lead and organize a vibrant array of organizations focused on career interest areas, activism, and hobbies.

We invite you to visit the Office of Diversity website: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/diversity/index.html. It is the main hub of community and family for many of our students. We offer resources such as mentoring from faculty and senior students/residents, informal gatherings, social networking and funding support for student projects, initiatives and career development. We will make sure you know about all the resources available to you throughout Feinberg, the University, and the city of Chicago. At Feinberg it is about recruitment, retention and reward. It is our goal for you to thrive and achieve your highest goals.

Whether or not you apply, we wish you the best in your journey in medicine and hope we can be a part of your supporting cast now or in the future. Again, please feel free to contact us if you have questions or if you’d like to know more about our school.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not quite sure how many people those emails are sent to. I received emails something along the same lines from Penn, Harvard and Northwestern over the course of the cycle, though. I ended up applying to Northwestern and was rejected pre-interview, but did end up with an interview at Harvard, while I never applied to Penn because I thought it was already too optimistic to have applied to both Feinberg and Harvard. Granted this is only a personal anecdote, but if you have the means to, you might as well pursue the schools that send you emails if you're interested in them because you never know where you might have some luck.

Last edited:
I got a similar email from Feinberg School of Medicine. The email sounded very optimistic and that I was sure to get an interview at the very least. They rejected my application pre-interview. I did receive a similar email from Cleveland Clinic and that ultimately became an interview. Moral of the story is: do some research and see if you can be a competitive applicant for these schools.

Greetings from Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, Illinois!

We would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with our school in hopes that you will consider applying. Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine (NU FSM) is consistently regarded as a leading academic medical center in the Midwest and as one of the top 20 schools of medicine in the United States. At NU FSM, diversity and inclusion matter. For our graduating class of 2015, 20% were from under-represented minority groups but we are not content. The institution has now elevated leadership in Diversity and Inclusion to the highest tier of governance for the medical school and is redoubling its efforts to build an environment that is even more receptive to diversity and inclusion.

After carefully sorting through the Minority Medical Applicant Registry from the AAMC, we have selected you as a potentially competitive applicant based on your MCAT score. Congratulations on your academic success. We do not have any cutoffs for consideration at Feinberg; in general, if your cumulative GPA is 3.2 or better and your average MCAT scores are 28+ (or 502+ using new MCAT), we confidently encourage you to apply. Understanding that the application process is expensive, we are also willing to waive the secondary fee to reduce the cost to you for exploring Feinberg further – just email your name and AMCAS ID# to [email protected] and mention this letter. (Please note it takes about 5 days to process the waiver, so request early to avoid delays.)

Feinberg’s selection committee understands that test scores alone don’t make great doctors and scientists; the committee considers many factors when admitting students including research and scholarly work, community service, leadership endeavors, personal characteristics, and academic achievement. We believe that a diverse class creates an enriching educational environment that better prepares students to become successful physicians. To this end, diversity is one of many selection factors considered holistically throughout the initial review, supplemental application, interview and selection. More information can be found at: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/admissions/index.html. If you would like to discuss your application prior to applying, please feel free to contact us: Office of Diversity at 312-503-0461 or email at[email protected].

Our campus is located in the heart of downtown Chicago - one block from Lake Michigan to the east and one block from the Magnificent Mile to the west. One of the most diverse cities in the nation comprising 77 distinct neighborhoods, Chicago is home to a rich mix of racial, ethnic, and faith-based communities from all over the world. Feinberg students are active in many community clinics in Chinatown, North Lawndale, Devon, Austin, Humboldt and more. Students lead and organize a vibrant array of organizations focused on career interest areas, activism, and hobbies.

We invite you to visit the Office of Diversity website: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/diversity/index.html. It is the main hub of community and family for many of our students. We offer resources such as mentoring from faculty and senior students/residents, informal gatherings, social networking and funding support for student projects, initiatives and career development. We will make sure you know about all the resources available to you throughout Feinberg, the University, and the city of Chicago. At Feinberg it is about recruitment, retention and reward. It is our goal for you to thrive and achieve your highest goals.

Whether or not you apply, we wish you the best in your journey in medicine and hope we can be a part of your supporting cast now or in the future. Again, please feel free to contact us if you have questions or if you’d like to know more about our school.

Exactly, some schools genuinely embrace diversity and I think others send this stuff to collect money from applicants.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've started receiving them as well. The emails won't affect my school list but I am happy to know that they consider my money a great candidate for their secondary fees.

Reactions: 6 users
Exactly, some schools genuinely embrace diversity and I think others send this stuff to collect money from applicants.

hmmm how do you think the best way to go about talking to the admissions staff is? Should I sent a transcript and my resume to the diversity inclusion officer and see what they say?

hmmm how do you think the best way to go about talking to the admissions staff is? Should I sent a transcript and my resume to the diversity inclusion officer and see what they say?

What I did was email them and ask exactly what the letter meant and how competitive I may be. Some were straight up and others wouldn't go into detail.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad I read this thread. Just got an email fro U of Alabama and was considering applying but their OOS acceptance is pretty low. Do you think I should send them an email back to get more info?

I'm glad I read this thread. Just got an email fro U of Alabama and was considering applying but their OOS acceptance is pretty low. Do you think I should send them an email back to get more info?

I also got some from Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern and University of Alabama (MSTP). I called up Northwestern to get more information and the school fits with my career goals so I ended up applying. We'll see what happens. At least they are waiving the secondary fee. Not sure about the others. Doesn't hurt to call their diversity office and discuss your application, stats, and others things which you may feel necessary to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I also got some from Cleveland Clinic, Northwestern and University of Alabama (MSTP). I called up Northwestern to get more information and the school fits with my career goals so I ended up applying. We'll see what happens. At least they are waiving the secondary fee. Not sure about the others. Doesn't hurt to call their diversity office and discuss your application, stats, and others things which you may feel necessary to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah that's exactly what the one from Alabama said. MSTP and they'd wave the secondary. Worth a shot I guess!