Med Schools Recruiting for LGBT students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schools that I have come across that mention LGBT issues in their diversity statement include Drexel, Rosalind Franklin and University of Vermont. They don't specific mention that they recruit LGBT students, but they do include them in their list of populations that would make the campus more diverse.

Curious: Where did you find the information about Rosalind Franklin? I'm a student here, and while the school certainly is LGBT-friendly, googling "LGBT rosalind franklin" yields little besides OUTpatients, our LGBT student group.

Members don't see this ad.

I've always been very curious as to what type of questions interviewer ask when an applicant is "out" in their personal statement. Being a gay male, the culture I was raised in, my life decisions etc all tied together.

I've heard Penn State was very receptive to the LGBTQ community. I think they even have housing especially for us. I could be wrong or maybe it's just for undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not just one person making the decision to accept or reject you. Usually multiple people on the committee (# varies by school) fully read the application and vote/rank/whatever the policy.
I understand that I'm just stating that there could be people on any schools committee that are opiniated on this topic, positively and negatively

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always been very curious as to what type of questions interviewer ask when an applicant is "out" in their personal statement. Being a gay male, the culture I was raised in, my life decisions etc all tied together.

Your question is a little OT, but some of them didn't say anything and others asked what sex my partner was, one said they could not accept me for being out (yet the next cycle they interviewed me and waitlisted me with the same personal statement), one said being trans would be a problem, and another said there was a concern that I was not willing to treat straight people which is far from the case. That is what I got for my 7 interviews over three cycles.

Other than that, mostly the same questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I've heard Penn State was very receptive to the LGBTQ community. I think they even have housing especially for us. I could be wrong or maybe it's just for undergrad.

I would be surprised if that's the case actually...maybe you've heard that about the undergrad? On the AMSA page (linked earlier in the thread), Penn State doesn't seem to have a very LGBTQ-receptive quality, but then again that was written a few years ago and maybe things have changed for the better. Fairly certain the med school doesn't have separate LGBT housing. Also I grew up in an area just outside of Hershey, applied to Penn State COM, and almost attended, and overall it's not a very tolerant area. Not hostile or anything, but you won't find a welcoming committee or a local LGBT community. FWIW, I'm not LGBT, but I am Hispanic, and I actually received quite a bit of negativity (in regards to being Hispanic) in one of my interviews at Penn State. Could have just been n=1 and I got unlucky with a very opinionated (and old) interviewer, but having grown up in the area, it was not an uncommon interaction.

Your question is a little OT, but some of them didn't say anything and others asked what sex my partner was, one said they could not accept me for being out (yet the next cycle they interviewed me and waitlisted me with the same personal statement), one said being trans would be a problem, and another said there was a concern that I was not willing to treat straight people which is far from the case. That is what I got for my 7 interviews over three cycles.

Other than that, mostly the same questions.

I would be surprised if that's the case actually...maybe you've heard that about the undergrad? On the AMSA page (linked earlier in the thread), Penn State doesn't seem to have a very LGBTQ-receptive quality, but then again that was written a few years ago and maybe things have changed for the better. Fairly certain the med school doesn't have separate LGBT housing. Also I grew up in an area just outside of Hershey, applied to Penn State COM, and almost attended, and overall it's not a very tolerant area. Not hostile or anything, but you won't find a welcoming committee or a local LGBT community. FWIW, I'm not LGBT, but I am Hispanic, and I actually received quite a bit of negativity (in regards to being Hispanic) in one of my interviews at Penn State. Could have just been n=1 and I got unlucky with a very opinionated (and old) interviewer, but having grown up in the area, it was not an uncommon interaction.

Reading these just makes me sad. I'm sorry you both had to go through this.

What makes me angry is that some people would defend this type of behavior stating "they're older, they were raised from a conservative generation etc", that's not an excuse to treat people any less. Anyways, sorry for going OT. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Reactions: 6 users
Reading these just makes me sad. I'm sorry you both had to go through this.

What makes me angry is that some people would defend this type of behavior stating "they're older, they were raised from a conservative generation etc", that's not an excuse to treat people any less. Anyways, sorry for going OT. I know I'm preaching to the choir.

In my case, at least a few of those interviewers were around ten years difference age wise from me so they aren't exactly ancient. They were definitely younger than my partner.

Happy to say that UVA does!

"The University of Virginia School of Medicine seeks strong applicants from diverse backgrounds without regard to age, color, disability, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. ... We encourage applicants to be themselves throughout the application process. UVA also has an active Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center, and the SOM has an organization for LGBT and ally medical students known as qMD."

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/ed...sions/the-uva-som/student-life/diversity.html

Does the school ask the question on the secondary? If not, I don't know how you'd identify applicants who qualify. Could we compile a list of schools that ask on the secondary?

Does the school ask the question on the secondary? If not, I don't know how you'd identify applicants who qualify. Could we compile a list of schools that ask on the secondary?

Many schools ask something like 'How would you contribute to the diversity of our class?'. Are we counting vague questions or only secondary questions that ask about sexual orientation?

It also depends on what is meant by recruiting. I wouldn't personally consider that simply listing sexual orientation in a diversity statement means all that much. It just adds another dimension to your application that, at least on paper, they are interested in or at least receptive to. Having said that, the University of Massachusetts lists sexual orientation in their diversity mission statement, but they only accept MA residents for the MD program.

http://www.umassmed.edu/deoo/layers.aspx

I wouldn't count answers that are in the form of text, only "buttons" or toggles or pull down menus that can be easily coded and used in electronic screening/sorting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't count answers that are in the form of text, only "buttons" or toggles or pull down menus that can be easily coded and used in electronic screening/sorting.
Does anyone do this?

Could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Does anyone do this?

Could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Does the secondary have a box to check or a pull down menu to select from to indicate that one is LGBT? I do know of at least one school that does but I'd prefer not to name it. Let's see what people observe as they receive secondaries in the weeks ahead.

I think I remember at least one school that allowed you to choose a sexual orientation along with race/ethnicity and then if you wished expand on it regarding diversity in their secondary. Cant remember which school though.

Does the secondary have a box to check or a pull down menu to select from to indicate that one is LGBT? I do know of at least one school that does but I'd prefer not to name it. Let's see what people observe as they receive secondaries in the weeks ahead.

The University of Pennsylvania DOES do this. They started last year.

The University of Pennsylvania DOES do this. They started last year.
Northwestern does it too.

Curious: Where did you find the information about Rosalind Franklin? I'm a student here, and while the school certainly is LGBT-friendly, googling "LGBT rosalind franklin" yields little besides OUTpatients, our LGBT student group.

I found these by googling the school name followed by admission followed by diversity (sometimes without the admission)s. This usually brought me to the schools diversity page or their diversity statement. I was basically trying to see which schools seemed most receptive to LGBT students. I am trying to figure out which schools would be receptive to mentioning orientation in a diversity secondary and which wouldn't. As a bi female and someone who has faced issues from both the straight and gay communities, I think I'm only going to include it if they specifically include statements about inclusion of LGBT students to be safe.

Reactions: 3 users
I found these by googling the school name followed by admission followed by diversity (sometimes without the admission)s. This usually brought me to the schools diversity page or their diversity statement. I was basically trying to see which schools seemed most receptive to LGBT students. I am trying to figure out which schools would be receptive to mentioning orientation in a diversity secondary and which wouldn't. As a bi female and someone who has faced issues from both the straight and gay communities, I think I'm only going to include it if they specifically include statements about inclusion of LGBT students to be safe.

Right, I was actually asking for the specific page! I believe you! Were you looking at this page specifically?

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/campuslife/Diversity.aspx

I took your advice, I just want to see if that's the one you were referring to.

Right, I was actually asking for the specific page! I believe you! Were you looking at this page specifically?

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/campuslife/Diversity.aspx

I took your advice, I just want to see if that's the one you were referring to.

Sorry! I'm running on lack of sleep because I've got the MCAT in a week and its got me a bit more defensive than I usually am. That is the page I was looking at!

Most people are talking about writing about orientation in secondaries... is it a bad idea to put it in the primary personal statement? If so, why?

Sorry! I'm running on lack of sleep because I've got the MCAT in a week and its got me a bit more defensive than I usually am. That is the page I was looking at!
Sleep well the night before MCAT. Concentration and alertness during the test help your accuracy and speed a lot.

Most people are talking about writing about orientation in secondaries... is it a bad idea to put it in the primary personal statement? If so, why?
The primary essay is sent to all schools. Secondary is school-specific and only seen by that school. With secondaries you can choose which schools you want to be out to.

Because you don't have a whole lot of space in your PS and, barring some very unique circumstances, your sexuality isn't something that your statement should revolve around. You're trying to craft a narrative, with a solid beginning, middle, end, and cliffhanger that makes them want to take you into their school so they can continue the story. Sexual orientation can fit in there, but for most you're subtracting space that could be better used talking about achievements and the like. Again, YMMV, as some people might have life-defining events that have stemmed from their orientation, or they might be very involved in the LGBTQ community. But for the average person that just happens to have a non-heterosexual sexuality, it just isn't a big enough deal to bring up in that precious space.

Agreed. Save it for the "anything else?" spaces. Also, that's awesome that some schools have it as a drop-down selection!

Wonder if we've named the one @LizzyM is thinking of...

Because you don't have a whole lot of space in your PS and, barring some very unique circumstances, your sexuality isn't something that your statement should revolve around. You're trying to craft a narrative, with a solid beginning, middle, end, and cliffhanger that makes them want to take you into their school so they can continue the story. Sexual orientation can fit in there, but for most you're subtracting space that could be better used talking about achievements and the like. Again, YMMV, as some people might have life-defining events that have stemmed from their orientation, or they might be very involved in the LGBTQ community. But for the average person that just happens to have a non-heterosexual sexuality, it just isn't a big enough deal to bring up in that precious space.

To OP,
I found this online, it's a directory to help us gauge how medical school and residency program rate in LGBTQ friendliness. Hope it helps :)
amsa.org/gender/ programreviews.cfm
This was very helpful. Thank you :)

May be a bit off topic, but how much would being LGBT/URM help you if your stats are lower than what the school typically admits? Assuming extracurriculars/work experience is the same between applicants, if you have a 30 MCAT would being LGBT or URM help you get an interview at a school that typically accepts students with a 35 MCAT? Just looking for a generalization, I realize it would be school specific.

I guarantee you that no one in this thread has an informed answer. In addition, extremely application specific.

May be a bit off topic, but how much would being LGBT/URM help you if your stats are lower than what the school typically admits? Assuming extracurriculars/work experience is the same between applicants, if you have a 30 MCAT would being LGBT or URM help you get an interview at a school that typically accepts students with a 35 MCAT? Just looking for a generalization, I realize it would be school specific.
An applicant who is URM may get some extra consideration given the small size of the pool of qualified applicants and the desire to have at least a small proportion of the class (10-20%) be URM. I would not expect a LGBT/URM to get more consideration that a straight URM.

LGBT but not URM is not going to get the same consideration as a URM.

Stupid thread. LBGT individuals are not special when it comes to medical school admissions.

Pretty ignorant post. With society moving more and more towards embracement of the LGBT community; I can't believe you can't understand how adcoms would have an interest in diversifying their classes with someone who is of different sexual orientation. Let me guess: you were in support of Hobby Lobby too?

Pretty ignorant post. With society moving more and more towards embracement of the LGBT community; I can't believe you can't understand how adcoms would have an interest in diversifying their classes with someone who is of different sexual orientation. Let me guess: you were in support of Hobby Lobby too?
This is the same thread where someone didn't know what LGBT stood for.... I can't even be surprised anymore

Reactions: 7 users
Schools likely already have fair amounts of homosexual students. They do not need to "actively recruit them." Tons of prospective and current physicians are homosexuals. These physicians come from all sorts of backgrounds: low income, high income and everything in between. I can understand why schools attempt to diverse their classes by accepting URM's, as these individuals are likely to practice medicine in areas in which they may have came from (specifically low income areas that need docs).

What sense would it make for medical schools to recruit/'diverse their classes' with gay individuals? Do you think that they will, after graduating and completing their residencies, look to practice medicine on only gay patients? That makes no sense. Also, what right would AMCAS have to ask applications for their sexual orientations?

Members of the LGBT community should be accepted as regular, typical individuals. Just because they are gay/transgenders doesn't make them 'special premeds.' Embrace them by accepting them as individuals on their own.

Schools likely already have fair amounts of homosexual students. They do not need to "actively recruit them." Tons of prospective and current physicians are homosexuals. These physicians come from all sorts of backgrounds: low income, high income and everything in between. I can understand why schools attempt to diverse their classes by accepting URM's, as these individuals are likely to practice medicine in areas in which they may have came from (specifically low income areas that need docs).

What sense would it make for medical schools to recruit/'diverse their classes' with gay individuals? Do you think that they will, after graduating and completing their residencies, look to practice medicine on only gay patients? That makes no sense. Also, what right would AMCAS have to ask applications for their sexual orientations?

Members of the LGBT community should be accepted as regular, typical individuals. Just because they are gay/transgenders doesn't make them 'special premeds.' Embrace them by accepting them as individuals on their own.

They are not trying to equate being LGBT (which isn't the same as homosexual) with being an URM, so I think you need to take a step back. Also, where are these "tons" of physicians and what is a "fair amount"? It's less than 10% of people, so who are you to be the expert on this?

This post on AAMC's website outlines the struggle that exists: https://www.aamc.org/students/aspiring/inspiring-stories/385860/carlgstreedjr.html

It's a matter of being different, and having another perspective.

Reactions: 4 users
^ why would you think that LGBTQ physicians won't go back and work in the LGBTQ community? I'm certainly planning to.

Do they actively recruit LGBT candidates or passively recruit LGBT candidates?

A. LGBT candidates being actively wanted by adcom
B. Candidates, who are very knowledgeable and understanding in sexual orientation, happen to be LGBT after being accepted.

I would much prefer B over A. A is just not fair at all.

GLMA maintains a directory of LGBT physicians who are specifically interested in providing care to the LGBT community:
https://glmaimpak.networkats.com/members_online_new/members/dir_provider.asp

UCSF maintains a list of their own:
https://lgbt.ucsf.edu/node/5

You are clearly not familiar with issues facing LGBT people. Indeed gay and lesbian young men and women as well as transgender people face challenges that do not affect heterosexual individuals.

As HRC reports:
  • Over one-half of LGBT youth (54 percent) say they have been verbally harassed and called names involving anti-gay slurs;
  • Nearly half of LGBT youth (47 percent) say they do not “fit in” in their community while only 16 percent of non-LGBT youth feel that way;
  • 67 percent of straight youth describe themselves as happy but this number drops to 37 percent among LGBT young people;
  • 83 percent of LGBT youth believe they will be happy eventually, but only 49 percent believe they can be happy if they stay in the same city or town;
  • 6 in 10 LGBT youth say their family is accepting of LGBT people, while a third say their family is not;
  • 92 percent say they hear negative messages about being LGBT – 60 percent say those messages come from elected leaders.
  • When asked to describe their most important problem, straight teens articulated the usual challenges of grades and college and finances. On the other hand LGBT teens’ worries were directly related to their identity as LGBT including non-accepting families and bullying.
http://www.hrc.org/press-releases/entry/hrc-releases-landmark-survey-of-lgbt-youth

Also, as many as 40% of homeless youth (those kicked out of home by their parents) identify as LGBT

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/...h-are-lgbt-family-rejection-is-leading-cause/

Up to 1/3 of LGBT students drop out of high school as a result of bullying and harassment: (think about how it affects college poulation)
http://endabusewi.org/sites/default/files/resources/LGBT Youth Facts and Stats.pdf

Last edited:
GLMA maintains a directory of LGBT physicians who are specifically interested in providing care to the LGBT community:
https://glmaimpak.networkats.com/members_online_new/members/dir_provider.asp

UCSF maintains a list of their own:
https://lgbt.ucsf.edu/node/5

Indeed gay and lesbian young men and women as well as transgender people face challenges that do not affect heterosexual individuals.

As HRC reports:
  • Over one-half of LGBT youth (54 percent) say they have been verbally harassed and called names involving anti-gay slurs;
  • Nearly half of LGBT youth (47 percent) say they do not “fit in” in their community while only 16 percent of non-LGBT youth feel that way;
  • 67 percent of straight youth describe themselves as happy but this number drops to 37 percent among LGBT young people;
  • 83 percent of LGBT youth believe they will be happy eventually, but only 49 percent believe they can be happy if they stay in the same city or town;
  • 6 in 10 LGBT youth say their family is accepting of LGBT people, while a third say their family is not;
  • 92 percent say they hear negative messages about being LGBT – 60 percent say those messages come from elected leaders.
  • When asked to describe their most important problem, straight teens articulated the usual challenges of grades and college and finances. On the other hand LGBT teens’ worries were directly related to their identity as LGBT including non-accepting families and bullying.
http://www.hrc.org/press-releases/entry/hrc-releases-landmark-survey-of-lgbt-youth
This makes no sense. You listed tons of psychological issues that LGBT individuals may or may not have. What does this have to do with medical school admissions? Would gay individuals prefer to seek psychiatric help from only gay psychiatrists?

^ why would you think that LGBTQ physicians won't go back and work in the LGBTQ community? I'm certainly planning to.
gold+star.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
This makes no sense. You listed tons of psychological issues that LGBT individuals may or may not have. What does this have to do with medical school admissions? Would gay individuals prefer to seek psychiatric help from only gay psychiatrists?

Medical schools across the country have been making a significant commitment of recruiting students who have faced significant hardships (which are not limited to URM status). Identifying as LGBT alone, of course, should not give one an advantage at med school admissions but those individuals who have experienced those above-described challenges should be given some credit for getting where they are.

Coming out to a physician is difficult, especially for teens. Having an openly LGBTQ physician would help quell any fears they might have about being judged

Reactions: 5 users
Coming out to a physician is difficult, especially for teens. Having an openly LGBTQ physician would help quell any fears they might have about being judged
And why should they not be judged?

And why should they not be judged?
Because being LGBTQ isn't wrong or something to be judged for. As a teen I was worried that if I told my docs they would send me to one of those places that try to make you not gay.

Reactions: 9 users
Because being LGBTQ isn't wrong or something to be judged for. As a teen I was worried that if I told my docs they would send me to one of those places that try to make you not gay.
We're judged for things all the time. Heck, we judge people all the time in USMLEWorld questions: "African-American male" (sickle cell), "Male who has sex with male" (Giardia, HIV, AIDS, etc.), "African-American female" (sarcoid), "IV drug abuser" (bacterial endocarditis), eating food with mayonnaise at picnics (staph aureus), etc.

We're judged for things all the time. Heck, we judge people all the time in USMLEWorld questions: "African-American male" (sickle cell), "Male who has sex with male" (Giardia, HIV, AIDS, etc.), "African-American female" (sarcoid), "IV drug abuser" (bacterial endocarditis), eating food with mayonnaise at picnics (staph aureus), etc.
That's not judging, that's stating facts.

Why would you judge someone for being gay?

One could reasonably assume that is not what @touchpause13 was talking about...

Reactions: 1 users
That's not judging, that's stating facts.

Why would you judge someone for being gay?
No it's not "stating facts". African-American females can come in for colds too.
Overweight people can come in for more than just CAD, DM2, etc.