Medical Exception for meds during USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

styphon

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although this happened a few years ago, I thought this may be helpful to some..

I have severe asthma, especially during the spring/summer months and I bring an albuterol inhaler everywhere with me, including during tests. So during Step II CS I put it on the table next to wear we put our lunches and this caused an immediate problem with the staff.

I was pulled to the side, directed to take apart the inhaler, and have it photographed at multiple angles. I then had to get photographs of me holding the inhaler while wearing a name tag and fill out a packet of paperwork. They then confiscated my inhaler and said it could lead me to "cheating" and that I needed a medical exception, which needed to be approved before testing. I found this odd as people had VERY large lunch bags where you could not only hide notes, but whole textbooks.

A month or so after testing, I got a letter saying I was in violation of policy and there was more papers to fill out. They wanted access to my medical records, and a note from my doctor stating I had asthma and needed a PRN inhaler. They froze my score, which would've caused problems proceeding to 4th year as our school required it to be done before entering that year.

Anyways, all this stress and conflict could have been avoided if I sent in a medical exception and had it approved by the USMLE board.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Although this happened a few years ago, I thought this may be helpful to some..

I have severe asthma, especially during the spring/summer months and I bring an albuterol inhaler everywhere with me, including during tests. So during Step II CS I put it on the table next to wear we put our lunches and this caused an immediate problem with the staff.

I was pulled to the side, directed to take apart the inhaler, and have it photographed at multiple angles. I then had to get photographs of me holding the inhaler while wearing a name tag and fill out a packet of paperwork. They then confiscated my inhaler and said it could lead me to "cheating" and that I needed a medical exception, which needed to be approved before testing. I found this odd as people had VERY large lunch bags where you could not only hide notes, but whole textbooks.

A month or so after testing, I got a letter saying I was in violation of policy and there was more papers to fill out. They wanted access to my medical records, and a note from my doctor stating I had asthma and needed a PRN inhaler. They froze my score, which would've caused problems proceeding to 4th year as our school required it to be done before entering that year.

Anyways, all this stress and conflict could have been avoided if I sent in a medical exception and had it approved by the USMLE board.
Glad it worked out in the end. I don't have asthma or anything needing a medical exception, but a couple friends have illness that can potentially causing them to have similar issues, it's good to know! Take care

That's ridiculous, especially for a meaningless and useless test. I don't know how these people justify that kind of behavior

Cheating? Because doctors don't have phones and computers available to them when they see patients right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's ridiculous, especially for a meaningless and useless test. I don't know how these people justify that kind of behavior

Cheating? Because doctors don't have phones and computers available to them when they see patients right?
It makes me wonder if people actually cheated on this test. And how. And why? Like... This test is about patient interactions and taking a good history and doing a proper exam. Are you going to pull out your inhaler that has some sort of answer key? Or use it as poison on the patient?

It makes me wonder if people actually cheated on this test. And how. And why? Like... This test is about patient interactions and taking a good history and doing a proper exam. Are you going to pull out your inhaler that has some sort of answer key? Or use it as poison on the patient?

A lot of people, unfortunately, don't use their common sense. It's such a misnomer.

That's ridiculous. Makes me angry just to read that this happened to somebody. During my Step 1 exam, I dropped the test center-provided marker on the floor, about 1 foot behind my chair, and when I leaned down to pick it up, they came running in like I was under arrest. They left as soon as they realized what I was doing, though. It seems like if you move your body in any way that is not a perfectly erect, seated posture, you are suspicious.

A lot of people, unfortunately, don't use their common sense. It's such a misnomer.
Jesus, that's stupid. Or I guess I don't know how you cheat on that.
I thought we were talking about Step 1? Because there's really no higher-stakes test than that one. I feel certain that people routinely try to cheat on it.
Step 1 I can see... Barely. But if I really thought my grade wasn't good enough, I'd postpone vs cheat. It's not even worth it.