Medical Job!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexandrajolie

Jolie Smith
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a sophomore and am pre-medicine, hoping to go DO. I know that shadow and volunteer hours are desired; however, I got a job interview for a patient registrar in a hospitals emergency department and figured that I could knock out those hours while also doing something I enjoy and getting paid to do so. My only concern is that this will be overlooked since it is not really "volunteering" my time, and I am getting an income. Does having a job in the medical field prior to applying to medical school help your chances, and maybe void off the shadow/volunteer hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am a sophomore and am pre-medicine, hoping to go DO. I know that shadow and volunteer hours are desired; however, I got a job interview for a patient registrar in a hospitals emergency department and figured that I could knock out those hours while also doing something I enjoy and getting paid to do so. My only concern is that this will be overlooked since it is not really "volunteering" my time, and I am getting an income. Does having a job in the medical field prior to applying to medical school help your chances, and maybe void off the shadow/volunteer hours?

Paid positions are nice. Shows responsibility and professionalism. It’ll will knock out clinical hours, but only if you interact with patients in a clinical setting. Unfortunately medical receptionists do not really count. if you get to work along side with nurses and physicians this would definitely be worthwhile activity.

And no you need volunteering to show altruism and your commitment to the people to you will serving. You should be acquiring both clinical and non clinical hours. Paid clinical activities is a plus!

I’ll take this position for networking for additional shadowing or gigs (research or helping with projects within hospital), understanding what medicine is like in the ER or hospital setting, and of course the money. If this is your first medicine related activity definitely give it a shot. Just make sure to prioritize your academics.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I would not consider this a medical job. I am an emergency department technician and I am very familiar with the registration position you are referring to. Although they have patient contact, their interaction doesn't revolve around actual medical care but with personal information and insurance inquires. I would seek a job that gives you more hands on medical practice like an EMT, PCA, MA, ED TECH, or even a scribe. The biggest issue I have with ED registration is I don't see how you could convince anyone that you are certain a life in medicine is want you desire based on your experience in this position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, you need some kind of volunteering experience, whether it's clinical or non-clinical. You also need clinical experience, whether it's volunteer or not. Some people knock out both in one activity that is both volunteer and clinical, but you can also do a paid clinical activity and a unpaid non-clinical activity and get both that way. So a clinical job wouldn't be 'overlooked' like that. (Shadowing is a separate category from volunteer and clinical experience, it usually involves following the physician and observing them instead of doing your own job in the general proximity of physicians.)

I feel it doesn't hurt to attend this interview and see what kind of duties a registrar person has, but I agree with above ppl that you may need something more hands-on to count as clinical experience. Money is always nice though, gotta save up for that app cycle.

Also, if that is your real name or profile picture, I would suggest using something more anonymous! You never know with the internet.

Reactions: 1 users
You need
- Clinical job (scribe, MA, etc.)
- Volunteer in a hospital (ER, Rads, etc.)
- Volunteer outside of hospital (community service)

You may think "need" is a strong word, but the competitive nature of getting into medical school these days is real and always increasing every year.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Definitely worth attending the interview but if it doesn’t have the amount of patient interaction you want, then don't go forward with it. Hands on experience and patient interaction will always look positive on an application and it will help expose you to things in medicine.

Generally, you need some kind of volunteering experience, whether it's clinical or non-clinical. You also need clinical experience, whether it's volunteer or not. Some people knock out both in one activity that is both volunteer and clinical, but you can also do a paid clinical activity and a unpaid non-clinical activity and get both that way. So a clinical job wouldn't be 'overlooked' like that. (Shadowing is a separate category from volunteer and clinical experience, it usually involves following the physician and observing them instead of doing your own job in the general proximity of physicians.)

I feel it doesn't hurt to attend this interview and see what kind of duties a registrar person has, but I agree with above ppl that you may need something more hands-on to count as clinical experience. Money is always nice though, gotta save up for that app cycle.

Also, if that is your real name or profile picture, I would suggest using something more anonymous! You never know with the internet.
Uhh, that's a pic of Hermione Granger

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
additionally, the more interviews you go on the more relaxed you will be for the real deal!