Medical mission trips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FDtoDOfosho

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

Im an Advanced EMT and would like to do a medical mission trip with my wife before I retire and apply for medical school next year and am broke AF. Has anyone done any mission trips where you get to practice quite a bit clinically?

thank you!

Jake

Members don't see this ad.

Jake,

Second Goro on this. Most meaningful and legitimate overseas clinical work require an MD/DO or nurse. Some disaster response operations will take paramedics but hard to find legit international opportunities with an AEMT.

If you really wish to serve in a medical capacity within your scope of practice and are okay with doing it within the States, I'd recommend checking out Team Rubicon (teamrubiconusa.org), especially as a veteran. They are currently providing emergency medical responses for COVID around the US and are looking for volunteers with your background. They will provide transportation, lodging (though that may mean a cot in a gym), and food. They also provide disaster response internationally and domestically, though they usually don't provide medical care for domestic operations and for the international team you need at least paramedic certification.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools do not like people doing this!

We call it medical tourism.

Going to other countries to do procedures on people is simply unethical.
Good to know it is viewed that way. I would have never considered that if I found something to do within my scope. I certainly was approaching it whole heartedly.

Reactions: 1 user
Jake,

Second Goro on this. Most meaningful and legitimate overseas clinical work require an MD/DO or nurse. Some disaster response operations will take paramedics but hard to find legit international opportunities with an AEMT.

If you really wish to serve in a medical capacity within your scope of practice and are okay with doing it within the States, I'd recommend checking out Team Rubicon (teamrubiconusa.org), especially as a veteran. They are currently providing emergency medical responses for COVID around the US and are looking for volunteers with your background. They will provide transportation, lodging (though that may mean a cot in a gym), and food. They also provide disaster response internationally and domestically, though they usually don't provide medical care for domestic operations and for the international team you need at least paramedic certification.
Thank you for the reply. I’m already a member of an Urban Search and Rescue team and while I’d love to do things with Team Rubicon it becomes risky if I want to deploy and do the “fun” stuff with my USAR team. I appreciate your time and letting me know. Just to clarify I wasn’t talking about doing anything outside of my scope. I didn’t know it was perceived as unethical and definitely shows how ignorant I am to the whole thing 😂