Medicine & Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jers

Fall '06 Applicant
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for Fall '06, going to send in my application in the next week or so. For those of you in a similar status, I've got a quick med schools question. Are there any that are particularly known for 1)tech integration in the curriculum and/or 2) the opportunity to do a MS in Bioengineering, Systems Engineering, or Medical systems?
I definitely am committed to the MD but I've got a good bit of tech experience and am currently working for a company in London developing a FDA-validated wireless environmental system for Pharmaceutical Co's. The development process is interesting and fun, much more so (to me) than research, and I'd like to do more of it.
I know Wake has a pretty tech-integrated curriculum and UCSD has a good biomedical engineering program, but some other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Vanderbilt has a 5-year MS/MD program in biomedical engineering. It's 2 years med school, 1 year MS, 1 year med school, then your last year you finish up both. Seems like a pretty good set up.

MattD said:
Vanderbilt has a 5-year MS/MD program in biomedical engineering. It's 2 years med school, 1 year MS, 1 year med school, then your last year you finish up both. Seems like a pretty good set up.
holy **** is this the infamous mattd from pr?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hook17 said:
holy **** is this the infamous mattd from pr?

omg, wow, the good old days of PR

MattD said:

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Are there any other schools that have this program? Do all of the students at vanderbilt complete this program or do you have to specifically select it on their secondary? I've been looking for ways to combine my interests in medicine with biomedical engineering.

I just found out that tulane has a similar program.. any other schools?

No, not all Vandy students do this program, and I'm not really sure what the application process is. It's on their website somewhere, that's where I found it ;-). I seem to remember reading on there that you could enroll straight MD and then sometime in the first 2 years add on the MS part, but I'm not positive about that.

And, I'm afraid I missed the bus on the pr thing... anyone care to share? :)