PreMed volunteer as anesthesia tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soparklion

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of programs where premed students volunteer as an anesthesia tech to gain experience in the OR/healthcare. Has anyone found a place with such a program?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's one job description for that role: The Anesthesia Technician checks and supplies anesthesia carts and machines, checks and replaces anesthesia gas tanks, disassembles used anesthesia equipment, disinfects machines and supply carts, replaces used products and prepares transducers for invasive hemodynamic monitoring.

From what I've seen, an anesthesia tech needs two years of training and needs to pass an exam. Are people with this credential serving as volunteers or are some organizations using volunteers to do a job typically held by a certified allied health professional? Are volunteers helping with the most mundane tasks under the supervision of an employee with certification.

I've never seen an application with this type of employment. or volunteer service.

Reactions: 2 users
Trained techs are a nice idea. My hospital is so short that they're hiring anyone with a HS diploma. The anesthesia providers and experienced/educated techs then train them on the job. I'd settle for a college kid for just about anything - unless I need cell saver.

I've heard of programs where premed students volunteer as an anesthesia tech to gain experience in the OR/healthcare. Has anyone found a place with such a program?
I wouldn't recommend any premed student volunteer to do this position when they can get paid for it. We are already taken advantage of enough in the premed process.

Reactions: 1 user